The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Aug 27, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #4,247 of 12,548
Hopefully this question hasn't been asked all too many times but here it goes.

I just got my dt880's (upgrading from my ath-m50's) and want to go ahead and upgrade my amp/dac. I currently have a fiio e10 which worked well enough for the easy to drive m50's.

I'm looking for an amp/dac combo under ~$200 that will accent these headphones nicely. I've done quite a bit of research and have discovered this is no easy task. Particularly I would like one to help bring out the bass a bit (I find myself missing the m50's head rattling boom). Obviously I'm not going to get quite to that level of bass, I would just like to increase it a bit. (Before you mention the 990's I'd rather not change headphones as I love everything about these except the slight shortness on bass although in the future I will defiantly consider getting the 990s).

Amps/dacs I've read about so far:

Aune T1: Tube amp apparently high on treble but great for it's price.
Modi/Magni: The solid state version of the Aune (comparable to it or slightly outpaced by it)
O2/Odac: The best of it's price range. I haven't heard much about it's sound signature except that it is exceptional (albeit out of my price range but I can stretch)

As it stands I am really leaning towards the Aune T1 mostly because I hear the 880s love some tube amps but I am weary of adding more treble instead of bass. Now I know any of these 3 will be much better than the e10 out of the box, but are there any other suggestions any of you might have that fit my criteria better?

Edit: I have the 250 Ohm version, should mention that, thanks xkonfuzed

Btw my preferences are: Electronic (trance/house/dance) and Metal (melodic/core/grove/thrash ect)

I appreciate any help! Thanks.

Aug 27, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #4,248 of 12,548
I'm assuming you have the 250ohm model? 

I was in the same boat as you. I got myself a Modi and a LittleDot Mk2 and paired them up with my DT880's. And then wonderful things started happening to my ears 
beyersmile.png
. To be honest your best option is to get a tube amp as they take the edge off the treble and bring more presence to the midrange. In your case, i don't think you need a new DAC. Just get a nice tube amp and you'll be happy with your setup. 

Wait for the guys here to give you some recommendations on more tube amps, I'm sure they'll help you out. 

Aug 27, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #4,249 of 12,548
I'm assuming you have the 250ohm model? 

I was in the same boat as you. I got myself a Modi and a LittleDot Mk2 and paired them up with my DT880's. And then wonderful things started happening to my ears 
beyersmile.png

. To be honest your best option is to get a tube amp as they take the edge off the treble and bring more presence to the midrange. In your case, i don't think you need a new DAC. Just get a nice tube amp and you'll be happy with your setup. 

Wait for the guys here to give you some recommendations on more tube amps, I'm sure they'll help you out. 

Yeah the 250 Ohm! That is defiantly an option, is the dac in the e10 (via the line out) of good enough quality that it wouldn't bottleneck a nice tube amp?

Aug 27, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #4,250 of 12,548
Quote:
Yeah the 250 Ohm! That is defiantly an option, is the dac in the e10 (via the line out) of good enough quality that it wouldn't bottleneck a nice tube amp?

Unfortunately I haven't heard the FiiO E10 so i can't comment on it. But the Modi (which im assuming is in the same league as the E10?) is excellent and i have no issues with it. 

Aug 27, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #4,251 of 12,548
Quote:
Btw my preferences are: Electronic (trance/house/dance)

Looks like someone needs a pair of Ultrasones. :)

The DT880's are not going to deliver the BOOM like a pair of 'Sones will.
Don't get me wrong there is Bass there and it goes deep, it just won't be tickling the ear hairs any time soon.

This is the EQ I use in Foobar2K

This is with the LittleDot MKIV which I have just last night installed a pair of RCA 6BY6's and the Bass has show a nice presence in the tube amp. My FiiO E09K / E17 combo puts out quite a bit more Bass into the DT880 Pro's, the E17 is in Line Out mode so it's settings don't apply.

If you like a lot of Bass then look into the Ultrasone line as the Pro 900 is touted as the Bass Kings around here.
beerchug.gif

Aug 27, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #4,252 of 12,548
Looks like someone needs a pair of Ultrasones. :)

The DT880's are not going to deliver the BOOM like a pair of 'Sones will.
Don't get me wrong there is Bass there and it goes deep, it just won't be tickling the ear hairs any time soon.

This is the EQ I use in Foobar2K

This is with the LittleDot MKIV which I have just last night installed a pair of RCA 6BY6's and the Bass has show a nice presence in the tube amp. My FiiO E09K / E17 combo puts out quite a bit more Bass into the DT880 Pro's, the E17 is in Line Out mode so it's settings don't apply.

If you like a lot of Bass then look into the Ultrasone line as the Pro 900 is touted as the Bass Kings around here.
:beerchug:

That doesn't look like the default f2k Eq? Do you have an feq file so I can try it out? The littledot is a bit out of my price range. I'll keep the Ultrasones in mind when I look into another pair of cans, but I'm gonna stick with what I got for now.

Aug 27, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #4,253 of 12,548
Nothing, they just waved 
biggrin.gif

SEA what i did there 
wink_face.gif

SEA what I did there?
Temporarily got us off the endless amplifier arguments! :D

Aug 27, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #4,255 of 12,548
The free edition is a TOTAL POS when it comes to saving or loading, it always crashes on me.
I just changed the first default setting and run with that for the DT880's, I just turn it off for the 'Sones.

http://www.aixcoustic.com/index.php/Electri-Q-posihfopit/30/0/
Just click where you want the dots on the line or click it and hit del to get rid of one.
Double click the 3 dots and enter the following settings:
First dot
Freq: 20
Gain: 3
BW: 7.5

Second dot
Freq: 3500
Gain: 2.5
BW: 0.7

Third Dot
Freq: 6500
Gain: -9.5
BW: 0.5

If there was an EQ program that had a bandwidth setting to tighten up the specific frequency like Electri-Q does, I use it in an instant.
beerchug.gif

Aug 27, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #4,256 of 12,548
The free edition is a TOTAL POS when it comes to saving or loading, it always crashes on me.
I just changed the first default setting and run with that for the DT880's, I just turn it off for the 'Sones.

Just click where you want the dots on the line or click it and hit del to get rid of one.

First dot

Second dot

Third Dot

If there was an EQ program that had a bandwidth setting to tighten up the specific frequency like Electri-Q does, I use it in an instant.

Alright I got it. I'll try that for a bit and see if I like it. I really like this EQ as well, thanks. (Had to go find a vst wrapper and all that nonsense but easy besides that).

Back to amps/dacs.

Any suggestions for a tube amp to pair with the e10 dac? Or would it still be more beneficial to go with an amp/dac? Still leaning towards the Aune but I do want something to bring out the Bass (is this a characteristic of tube amps in general?)

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #4,257 of 12,548

First dot

Second dot

Third Dot

I like Easy-Q better. more stable. http://www.rs-met.com/freebies.html

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #4,258 of 12,548
Aug 28, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #4,259 of 12,548
Quote:
Alright I got it. I'll try that for a bit and see if I like it. I really like this EQ as well, thanks. (Had to go find a vst wrapper and all that nonsense but easy besides that).

Back to amps/dacs.

Any suggestions for a tube amp to pair with the e10 dac? Or would it still be more beneficial to go with an amp/dac? Still leaning towards the Aune but I do want something to bring out the Bass (is this a characteristic of tube amps in general?)

Good to see someone who knows his way around FB2K!

The following is only my suggestion as to what I'd do in your situation if I was looking for an amp or DAC combo. I have not personally heard the NFB15.32 or the Schiit M&M combo.

In your price of ~$200, I would add a few more dollars and look into the promo deal from Audio-gd for the NFB15.32 which should be a DAC and Amp upgrade from the E10.

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB15.32/NFB15.32EN.htm

Or the Schiit M&M which comes well recommended around here.

But if you are really itching for some tubes though, the LD MKII like xkonfuzed has is well within your price range, it's all tube and the tube rolling is cheap. I imagine it would have the same sound as my LD MK IV if it had the same tubes.

Personally I am not a big fan of the hybrid amps (Single Tube) as you are still getting a sold state amp with a tube in the middle of the chain.

I do have the FiiO E09K / E17 combo as my solid state Amp and DAC, the E17 is a portable unit and will not drive the DT880 Pro's to their full potential on its own, so it usually stays docked unless it's out with my other portable headphones. The E09K though has plenty of power to run the DT880 Pro's.

I would really suggest you get a solid state setup first as a tube amp is not something you would leave on all the time like you can with a solid state amp.

Others will chime in with their suggestions I am sure.
beerchug.gif

Aug 28, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #4,260 of 12,548
NFB 15.32 is a solid recommendation for the Beyers.  Plenty of power, and good DAC implementation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back