The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Aug 11, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #4,036 of 12,546
Quote:
I am planning on buying DT880 600 ohm, and in that occation I need a DAC/amp. Is it possible to get anything suitable for under $250?

Actually yes, an O2 Dac+Amp combo would be your very best bet! I actually really like my 250 ohm by dt 880 on my Matrix Solid State, so the O2 should do just as well! 

Aug 11, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #4,037 of 12,546
Going to try the K550 to see if it has the sound I like! 

That closed Beyer sound is probably already available in one of the T series...

I like the looks of the 550 and the fit would be good as I have a large head.

Thankfully I live in an area where its almost impossibru to audition headphones, which can be a pain when one wants to buy, but keeps what little money I have sort of in my pocket longer or the wife's pocket or the kids pocket...

Sigh.... so many cans, so little cash. :D

Aug 11, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #4,038 of 12,546
Quote:
That closed Beyer sound is probably already available in one of the T series...

I like the looks of the 550 and the fit would be good as I have a large head.

Thankfully I live in an area where its almost impossibru to audition headphones, which can be a pain when one wants to buy, but keeps what little money I have sort of in my pocket longer or the wife's pocket or the kids pocket...

Sigh.... so many cans, so little cash.
biggrin.gif

I know the feeling, I'm also in an area where there is no where to try headphones... 

any one try listening to a Little Dot 1+ with a byer dt 880 pro? I'm soon to buy one and my seller [who is offering a lot of aftermarket tubes] assures me the LD 1+ has plenty of current to drive them properly, and since I don't like LOUD music I should not run into any voltage issues either 

Aug 11, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #4,040 of 12,546
Quote:
It is this one, right? It is not anywhere near under $250, but maybe I will just go for it anyway. With shipping, AC adapter, taxes and so on it will set me back $400.

Yes but buy it used from the For Sale Thread here at Head Fi, trust me you can get one for around $250 with shipping and Tax Free. 

Aug 11, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #4,041 of 12,546
Since it is 150mw@300 Ohm you should not have any problem at all, my E09K is the same output and I don't have the volume past 11 o'clock very often with my Pros.

I picked up the MK IV for some possible 600 Ohm cans down the road.

Good to hear you have a bunch of tubes on the way as well, I am just starting my little glass bottle collection... At least the driver tubes are relatively cheap. :D

Aug 11, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #4,042 of 12,546
Quote:
Since it is 150mw@300 Ohm you should not have any problem at all, my E09K is the same output and I don't have the volume past 11 o'clock very often with my Pros.

I picked up the MK IV for some possible 600 Ohm cans down the road.

Good to hear you have a bunch of tubes on the way as well, I am just starting my little glass bottle collection... At least the driver tubes are relatively cheap.
biggrin.gif

Omg yea, that's right I wonder if I could use these Vacum Tubes from the 1+ with an Iv SE

Aug 11, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #4,044 of 12,546
Omg yea, that's right I wonder if I could use these Vacum Tubes from the 1+ with an Iv SE
Some if not all, check the chart on page 77 of the LD Tube Rolling thread, much info to be had from some Amazing rollers in that thread.

Aug 11, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #4,045 of 12,546
Quote:
Some if not all, check the chart on page 77 of the LD Tube Rolling thread, much info to be had from some Amazing rollers in that thread.

I know I know 

Aug 11, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #4,046 of 12,546
Hey guys!

I ordered my DT880 250 Ohms a few months ago, and have finally gotten around to trying them (I was out of the country for a while).

I have a question regarding driving the 250 ohms and the frequency response in general. I'm using the Fiio e17 to drive them: http://www.amazon.com/Fiio-E17-USB-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B0070UFMOW

The headphones, quite honestly, sound just god awful. I have the amp knocked up fairly loud (to about 40, whereas my MDR's sound normal at about 30). In addition, the higher frequencies all sound clicky and have no character at all. I understand I was getting a flat frequency response, but these almost sound like either I need to break in my headphones (I've usually heard that's for in-ears though), or my amp isn't driving them (or they're just not what I'm used to at all?)

Any help is appreciated!

Aug 11, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #4,047 of 12,546
Quote:
Hey guys!

I ordered my DT880 250 Ohms a few months ago, and have finally gotten around to trying them (I was out of the country for a while).

I have a question regarding driving the 250 ohms and the frequency response in general. I'm using the Fiio e17 to drive them: http://www.amazon.com/Fiio-E17-USB-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B0070UFMOW

The headphones, quite honestly, sound just god awful. I have the amp knocked up fairly loud (to about 40, whereas my MDR's sound normal at about 30). In addition, the higher frequencies all sound clicky and have no character at all. I understand I was getting a flat frequency response, but these almost sound like either I need to break in my headphones (I've usually heard that's for in-ears though), or my amp isn't driving them (or they're just not what I'm used to at all?)

Any help is appreciated!

Jeeze what is your source :O, and personally I had to burn mine in. about 48 hours of music on low volueme's and then I just listened to them for about week straight. At the begining of the week I hated them. By the end of the week they where and still are my favorite headphone. But The e17 should powerful enough... right q.q. I'd say make sure you have the gain and high and remember they are semi open cans so if there's some ambiant noise around you it will affect how your music sounds. [Until you've gotten used to open cans, I wear the Dt 990s with a big fan a foot from me and I don't even notice the fan sound any moar] 

But honestly, just keep listening as much as you can for a week and it should get better. It did for me, and every week after it just got better and better and better! 

Aug 11, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #4,048 of 12,546
My E17 just barely drives my Pro's, mind you I drive it with a Colorfly C3 who's output is teh suck... C3 @35/40, E17 Gain 12 & 50/60. There is just enough power in that setup to give a good listening volume. Since I modified my Pro's they are only for desktop use now. So you might want to look into an amp for the E17.

It's like taking a dirt bike up on the highway, it might reach highway speeds but it would be flat out. Whereas something with more power would have power in reserve if you needed it.

I like to have a volume control where 1/2 is a great listening level, with more available for low level sources.
Just my 2 cents... :D

Aug 11, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #4,049 of 12,546
Aug 11, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #4,050 of 12,546

Users who are viewing this thread

Back