The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Aug 11, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #4,051 of 12,546
Quote:

The Audio-gd rock with the DT-880's.
Seriously. Great synergy. My NFB-11's are a perfect combo.

beerchug.gif

Plus the ability to isolate the DAC and add in tubes later (LD MKIV for me) makes them truly versatile.

Aug 12, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #4,052 of 12,546
Quote:

The Audio-gd rock with the DT-880's.
Seriously. Great synergy. My NFB-11's are a perfect combo.

I agree, I was amazed at how well my Dt 880 sounded with my oDac Matrix M combo :O, the upper mids and low highs where not as smooth as they where on a hybrid tube, BUT the lower mids and bass, along with the upper treble where fantastic! The extra tighness the solid state brought gave an awesome thick punchy texture to mids, where as the Hybrid Tube, made the smooth and gentle push. Ofc smoother voices still retain that smooth punch in them , where as more dynamic vocals had good well dyanamics! 

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #4,053 of 12,546
Quote:
Hey guys!

I ordered my DT880 250 Ohms a few months ago, and have finally gotten around to trying them (I was out of the country for a while).

I have a question regarding driving the 250 ohms and the frequency response in general. I'm using the Fiio e17 to drive them: http://www.amazon.com/Fiio-E17-USB-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B0070UFMOW

The headphones, quite honestly, sound just god awful. I have the amp knocked up fairly loud (to about 40, whereas my MDR's sound normal at about 30). In addition, the higher frequencies all sound clicky and have no character at all. I understand I was getting a flat frequency response, but these almost sound like either I need to break in my headphones (I've usually heard that's for in-ears though), or my amp isn't driving them (or they're just not what I'm used to at all?)

Any help is appreciated!

When I first started using my DT880s I was powering them with a Rolls HA43 Pro and my computer's internal DAC. I used to think they sounded god awful too until I decided to throw some money down into some real equipment. I first tried listening to them with a $200 internal soundcard, now they actually sounded good. Decided to throw down some real dollars and got myself a Schiit Uber and Asgard 2 stack. Talk about hours of eargasms.

It's not the headphones fault, its always the synergy with your source and amplifier :] I even recabled mine which I believe brings better synergy and shorter signal path. Yeah I'm one of those people who believe that headphone sprites emerge when you upgrade your cables and all that good stuff, but really if you have good ears you will be able to pick apart differences.

Here's what I'm listening to:

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #4,054 of 12,546
I just let one of my friends take a quick listen to my DT880.

Long story short: He's actually considering buying one, specifically the 32ohm, since it doesn't need an amp. :)

Aug 12, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #4,055 of 12,546
Quote:
When I first started using my DT880s I was powering them with a Rolls HA43 Pro and my computer's internal DAC. I used to think they sounded god awful too until I decided to throw some money down into some real equipment. I first tried listening to them with a $200 internal soundcard, now they actually sounded good. Decided to throw down some real dollars and got myself a Schiit Uber and Asgard 2 stack. Talk about hours of eargasms.

It's not the headphones fault, its always the synergy with your source and amplifier :] I even recabled mine which I believe brings better synergy and shorter signal path. Yeah I'm one of those people who believe that headphone sprites emerge when you upgrade your cables and all that good stuff, but really if you have good ears you will be able to pick apart differences.

Here's what I'm listening to:

Indeed, when I can afford it I want to recable all of my cans. Those extra 5% details are worth it, not to mention the visual looks. And belive it or not, I liked my Byer out of my Matrix M Stage [LME49990 OP amp] more than my hybrid tube :O 

Come september I'm buying another one of these I friggin swear! Hell I might just see if I can't find some one to recable a breand new one for me! 

Actually do you know any one that does that

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #4,056 of 12,546
Quote:
Indeed, when I can afford it I want to recable all of my cans. Those extra 5% details are worth it, not to mention the visual looks. And belive it or not, I liked my Byer out of my Matrix M Stage [LME49990 OP amp] more than my hybrid tube :O 

Come september I'm buying another one of these I friggin swear! Hell I might just see if I can't find some one to recable a breand new one for me! 

Actually do you know any one that does that

Check out BTG Audio, I've heard they do some exceptional work.

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #4,057 of 12,546
Just picked up my T90s from UPS not too long ago. Have them on for little less than an hour now... :eek: Absolutely fantastic. I'm loving them. Some initial impresisons is that they're little bit more sibilant than the DT880s but gauging from memory... nowhere near as bad as the DT990/600s were. Isn't as bassy as the DT990s either. It's like a fuller DT880s bass. Not boomy. I'm going to give it a few days and then AB them to my 880s but so far... I think 880s might end up on the FS threads...

I just came from the T90 thread and some people are saying they are too bright on the top end so comment about rolled off high is wrong, now I have lost my enthusiasm for them. 
If you mean me, I said it was rolled off when compared to the DT990s, not 880s. It is brighter than the dt880s but I'm digging them tbh.

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #4,058 of 12,546
Quote:
Just picked up my T90s from UPS not too long ago. Have them on for little less than an hour now...
eek.gif
Absolutely fantastic. I'm loving them. Some initial impresisons is that they're little bit more sibilant than the DT880s but gauging from memory... nowhere near as bad as the DT990/600s were. Isn't as bassy as the DT990s either. It's like a fuller DT880s bass. Not boomy. I'm going to give it a few days and then AB them to my 880s but so far... I think 880s might end up on the FS threads...
If you mean me, I said it was rolled off when compared to the DT990s, not 880s. It is brighter than the dt880s but I'm digging them tbh.

What is the ohm rating of your dt 880, I'm actually interested in buying another pair of 250 pros... 

Aug 12, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #4,060 of 12,546
Quote:
Sorry, not Pros. They're 600ohm Prems.

I own a pair of 250ohms heavily modified. I'm looking to get a pair of 600ohms for comparison. I feel like my 250ohms can't be beat though in synergy.

Aug 12, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #4,061 of 12,546
I am selling my DT880 woodies if anyone is interested.

Aug 12, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #4,062 of 12,546
Quote:
I own a pair of 250ohms heavily modified. I'm looking to get a pair of 600ohms for comparison. I feel like my 250ohms can't be beat though in synergy.

Indeed, the 250 ohm is apprently the more nuetral one is it's usually colder or rather leaner than the 600 ohm. So again another bonus point for the cheaper model! 

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #4,063 of 12,546
Without reading all 271 pages of the thread... can anyone give me an idea how the DT880-32 is from a portable player? I'm looking for good isolation (doesn't have to be perfect), great comfort (with glasses I use at the computer), and good sound for work. I don't need anything perfect, I just want better than the Beats by Dr Dre that I use right now (which I got for free). I'm not considering cans that need an amp as I've had headphones stolen from work so I need to lock everything away at night.

Aug 12, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #4,065 of 12,546
Quote:
Just picked up my T90s from UPS not too long ago. Have them on for little less than an hour now...
eek.gif
Absolutely fantastic. I'm loving them. Some initial impresisons is that they're little bit more sibilant than the DT880s but gauging from memory... nowhere near as bad as the DT990/600s were. Isn't as bassy as the DT990s either. It's like a fuller DT880s bass. Not boomy. I'm going to give it a few days and then AB them to my 880s but so far... I think 880s might end up on the FS threads...

I have DT990pro so want rolled off high for music with piercing electric guitars that distort and hurt me ears. Don't think T90 will please me in that regard and Sony MDRMA900 will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back