The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Apr 25, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #3,181 of 12,548
I think the amplifier you power them with has a lot to do with the differences in sound between high and low impedance drivers.

After a night of letting my 600s run, they are less harsh in the highs.  Now the differences between the 250s and the 600s are subtle, but still there.  The 600s are more controlled and even, with details resolved a little finer.  The 250s are more dynamic, more engaging, with a little more space, but less detailed.

I've been switching back and forth all morning, and every time I switch to the other one I think "oh, I like this better."  ha ha.  So I guess I no longer have a preference.  I'll probably end up keeping the 600, but I'm going to live with both of them a while longer to be sure.

I also tried my other DAC, an Audio-GD NFB-3, for a while.  That DAC has a bit less resolution than my V-DAC, and the two headphones sounded much more similar, almost indistinguishable.

So if someone were trying to decide whether the 600-ohm is worth another $100, my answer would be "not unless you have a powerful amplifier and a very detailed DAC." 

Really comes down to get 600 Ohm DT880s if your amp has enough output voltage.

I have an OTL vacuum tube amp, it doesn't have a high power rating by any means, but it does output more voltage than most of my SS head amps.

Apr 25, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #3,182 of 12,548
Agree Chris - funny thing now though (if I had to decide between the two again) - even though the LD MKIV pairs nicely with the 600's - I think I'd probably go back to the 250's (more versatility, and practically no major diff in sound).

Apr 26, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #3,183 of 12,548
I know this thread is biased forward the DT880's but I'll ask anyway..
I'm looking for a set of headphones for around 250$ and I've laid my eyes on the DT880 pro's 250 ohm.
I've wanted to know if these are the best headphones I can get for my budget?
BTW I listen to many different music genres from classical to rock and psytrance (I'm not a bass head though).

Thanks ahead :)

Apr 26, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #3,184 of 12,548
I know this thread is biased forward the DT880's but I'll ask anyway..
I'm looking for a set of headphones for around 250$ and I've laid my eyes on the DT880 pro's 250 ohm.
I've wanted to know if these are the best headphones I can get for my budget?
BTW I listen to many different music genres from classical to rock and psytrance (I'm not a bass head though).

Thanks ahead :)

I'll give it a try.....
The DT880 is basically a neutral 'phone
The DT990 sounds very similar but has a little bass and treble boost.
The Q701 has a nice ary sound that some like with trance and classical and acoustic jazz.

Apr 26, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #3,185 of 12,548
I have no where to try them where I live.
The dt990 and the q701 are the only worthy contenders in this price range?

Apr 26, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #3,186 of 12,548
With luck, hd600 in the fs threads is close to your price range. neutral, more mid centric and warmer sounding.

if you want to get a feel for how the dt880/990s sound, give the takstar hi2050 / technical pro hpt 990s a try. I got my pair for 50. it's a fun 880/ neutral 990.

Apr 30, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #3,187 of 12,548
What do you all think are the differences between the 240 and the DT-880? I owned a classic pair of each but not at the same time as the AKG's fell apart and I needed a quick replacement and the Beyers were it.

Do the current versions sound the same compared to the classics from the 80's?

May 1, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #3,188 of 12,548
Quote:
What do you all think are the differences between the 240 and the DT-880? I owned a classic pair of each but not at the same time as the AKG's fell apart and I needed a quick replacement and the Beyers were it.

Do the current versions sound the same compared to the classics from the 80's?

The newer DT 880s and K240s sound different than the older models

The current K240 is musical, somewhat mid-bassy, and on the lusher side. The DT 880 are more neutral(bright side of neutral), linear, analytical, and on the dryer side. If you like more emotional and musical headphones, I would get the K240, if you like a more analytical headphone, then the DT 880 fits the bill. Both headphones must of course be amped to bring their full potential out.

When both are properly amped, I found them comparable sound quality wise, just different, it's more of what suits your preference. Overall detail is comparable. The Beyers have more extension in the treble and bass, it's also more detailed in the treble and bass, it's a little cleaner sounding thus easier to pin-point the details, the biggest drawback of the DT 880 to my ears is that they fail to bring out the soul and emotion of music. The K240s have better imaging in my opinion, they have a better midrange(especially lower midrange) they have less extension in the extreme frequencies, it has a boost in the mid-bass, they lack some sub-bass, they sound more dynamic and bring music to life. They may have too much mid-bass for some people. I found the soundstage on both comparable just different.

May 1, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #3,189 of 12,548
You know these pair well.

How do the current 880's compare to the current 990's? I read many reviews and there is a large difference in sound, not an improvement as one jumps from the 880 to the 990.

What about the difference between the Pro and Consumer Beyers?
Between the 240S or MKII?

May 1, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #3,190 of 12,548
Quote:

How do the current 880's compare to the current 990's? I read many reviews and there is a large difference in sound, not an improvement as one jumps from the 880 to the 990.

880's are neutral and 990's are bassy. The Pro clamps more and the Premium clamps less. 

May 1, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #3,191 of 12,548
I sure as heck hope these don't actually take 20 days to get here. Freaking pumped!!! If these turn out to be all that I've read them to be they will probably be my last head-fi purchase for the foreseeable future. 

May 1, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #3,192 of 12,548
Quote:

I've listened to both of them extensively on a good system.

The DT 990 is a DT 880 with unrestricted drivers, this brings out a lot more bass as well as a bit more treble, it also brings out a bigger soundstage and more detail, but it loses it's flat frequency response, many prefer the DT 880 because of it's neutrality. The DT 990 is a much funner headphone than the DT 880 but many find it too bright, an amp that brings out the midrange and tames the treble is vital for the DT 990 to sound it's best.

The biggest difference between the Pro and Consumer is the clamp, the pros clamp harder, the Pros tend to be a little darker, have more bass, and have a smaller soundstage. Other than that it's aesthetic differences. The Pro versions only come in 250 Ohms drivers. The Premiums come in 32, 250, and 600 ohms. The different ohm versions all sound a bit different from each other. the 600 ohm versions tend to be considered the best versions and have the most refined sound.

The K240 Studio and K240 MKII are the same other than aesthetics and that the MKII comes with two cables(one straight and one coiled) and two sets of pads(pleather and velour)

May 1, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #3,194 of 12,548
Is the 600 ohm much better than the 250? Which one is Fiio E09K better for?

The FiiO 09K would have no trouble driving either the 600 Ohm or 250 Ohm versions. It has enough voltage and output current for either impedance.

If you were asking about the E17 or any other small FiiO portable, I would say get the 250 Ohm version.

I've only compared the 32 Ohm to the 600 Ohm version, the difference is very slight, the 600 Ohm version has slightly smoother treble.

May 1, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #3,195 of 12,548
Quote:
Is the 600 ohm much better than the 250?

This is becoming one of those endlessly repeating questions like: "Are integrated amp headphone jacks powered by 50c op amps?" (Answer, no). Every time it's answered, it pops up on the next page.

Maybe we should put up a sticky listing all the answers given thus far. For this enquirer, the balance of the answers indicates that there is very little if any difference depending on the amp you're using. Most amps will not reveal a noticeable difference, thus making the 250 ohm the best all-round choice, or the 32 ohm if you're using a portable device. However, there is some meagre indication thus far that the 32 ohm might not be quite as good as the higher impedance models. The jury's still out though, and sample variation is not to be discounted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back