The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Nov 30, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #2,221 of 12,546
Quote:
take careful note when buying on amazon, any marketplace seller can undercut someone to have themselves displayed on the main page.  If you look off to the far right under other buying options, you will see Amazon as the actual seller... for a couple more dollars I would go with them instead of the third party sellers.  If amazon is the primary seller than it will say ships from and sold by amazon right under how many left in stock there are.

Yes I'm not a Fan of amazon, granted I got my 250 ohms from there and they work fine but Shipping is a Pain with Amazon... they really get on my nerves... still though I wish some one would do a MassDrop buy on these <3

Debating though... do I spend $1000 on The cans the amp and the DAC or get a 

Stax SR-Lambda (Λ)

For around the same price or less :O [that's ofc with an amp to drive them sufficently] 

Nov 30, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #2,222 of 12,546
If you can get Stax Lambda's + a electrostatic energizer for a grand, and have that 1K to burn, I'd probably go that route. 

Of course, you'll still want a dac, and while an amp+dac for dynamics can be used with a wide range of phones, the Stax rig is pretty locked down - so you'll probably still go that route over time anyway...

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #2,223 of 12,546
You can run from the preamp outs of your amp (if it has them) to a headphone socket, using a Y or splitter cable. A good one is available from Blue Jeans cable. Results will depend on synergy + the quality of the preamp, but it's always worth trying before investing in a SS amp. Don't get confused with the speaker outs themselves or you may end up with fried phones.

I own the Muse EH 6922, helps to get a digital multi-meter (DT-830, $5) to fine adjust the voltage and balance the right and left channels.
Some of these little single tube head amps do not allow voltage adjustments, some do.
There are a few threads on Head-fi dedicated to these head amps.
Also the website Rockgrotto has a head amp. subsection where they discuess mods for these amps.

Thanks for the help guys

Nov 30, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #2,224 of 12,546
Quote:
If you can get Stax Lambda's + a electrostatic energizer for a grand, and have that 1K to burn, I'd probably go that route. 

Of course, you'll still want a dac, and while an amp+dac for dynamics can be used with a wide range of phones, the Stax rig is pretty locked down - so you'll probably still go that route over time anyway...

Exactly, the 250 ohm is nice and the Lambda well that's just a smart descion! I think It might still need a DAC, but again I can sniff around till I find something ;3

Dec 4, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #2,225 of 12,546
I just purchased a set of DT880/600's, plan on replacing my ATH-W1000's.  My current setup is an Alien DAC v1.1 out of my laptop at work, running to a Millet Hybrid MAX amp.  Right now, I'm mostly listening to 320kbps music via Spotify.  I know they are open cans, I'll just mostly close the door to my office (love not being in a cube!).

Does anyone know if this amp would be sufficient to drive the new set of cans?  I have about $500 I could spend if I wanted to upgrade the other components in my system to synergize with the DT880/600.  

Suggestions?  I'm not afraid to DIY, obviously.  

Dec 4, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #2,226 of 12,546
The Millet Max should be just fine. I tend to prefer OTL designs rather than hybrids, but that's neither here or there. Millet's designs are pretty great and will power these without issue. 

Dec 4, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #2,227 of 12,546
Quote:
The Millet Max should be just fine. I tend to prefer OTL designs rather than hybrids, but that's neither here or there. Millet's designs are pretty great and will power these without issue. 

Goingin with a Modded INdeed G3 for the moment.

When I do jump up to the 600 ohm [which may not be for a while] I'm going to go FULL out and grab a little Dot MKIV ;3

Dec 5, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #2,228 of 12,546
In term of sound stage, separation, mids-range & bass, is there any obvious different among the DT880 32 ohm, 250 ohm, 600 ohm?
Does 32 ohm version needs to be amped?

What is the curent best portable amp. for DT880 (32 ohm, 250 ohm, 600 ohm)?

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #2,229 of 12,546

In term of sound stage, separation, mids-range & bass, is there any obvious different among the DT880 32 ohm, 250 ohm, 600 ohm?

No. Not in my experience. There may be some subtle tightening of the bass and more separation with the 600 over the others, or it may be placebo. I doubt I could tell the difference in a blind test.

Not with most sources.

Dec 5, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #2,230 of 12,546
Quote:

What is the curent best portable amp. for DT880 (32 ohm, 250 ohm, 600 ohm)?

A Comparison of Beyerdynamic DT 880 32 ohm, DT 880 250 ohm, and DT 880 600 ohm Headphones

BTW, to all DT880 owners, is there anything that can be done with that lifeless, hollow midrange. That completely spoils otherwise wonderful phones, also upper treble quite overcooked comparing to the rest of the spectrum.
frown.gif

Dec 5, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #2,232 of 12,546
Quote:
Tubes, EQing, Leathers pads

Or you might have an impedance mismatch with your amp and/or underpowered amp

I use both tubes, and some EQ as part of my standard (fun) listening rig. I have no issues with the mids on the 880. 

I did not like the leather pad change, but I used the Beyer pads, not the better regarded aftermarket ones (whose manufacture I now cannot recall). 

Dec 5, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #2,233 of 12,546
Quote:
Tubes, EQing, Leathers pads

Or you might have an impedance mismatch with your amp and/or underpowered amp

Only solid states amps here, leather pads just make them fart and sound much worse in general (I've tried only Manufaktur pads), does anyone have foobar2000 EQ preset for DT880.

I would hardly call GS-1 underpowered amp, I don't even have to use high gain to drive those.

Dec 5, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #2,234 of 12,546
It's not a matter of power (the GS-1 is plenty, great amp, the dynalo is one of the great SS circuits of all time, IMO). Tubes add secondary harmonics (the "lushness") - less accurate, but may flesh out those mids a bit. 

Dec 5, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #2,235 of 12,546
Hi
Does anyone use the DT880 600 ohm for modern electro song?
Im looking for a good HP for all purpose /editing ,tracking ,some mixing too.

Another question can I power the DT880 with my Presonus firebox /it is very powerfull?

My current headphone is Shure 840 the firebox makes It very neutral .
I love this HP but too heavy  need a light comfortable one which sound neutral  true and clear.

Im considering these:

Shure 940
Beyerdinamic 880 600 ohm
Sennheiser  600

or any of your recommendation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back