The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Nov 9, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #2,191 of 12,546
Quote:
I first had the DT-990 @600 Ohms. However, I never liked them. They are nicely balanced and have good timbre, but they are far too bass bloated to be taken seriously, have awful sibilance issues (very similar to the HJE900) and just can't add the fun Ultrasone can, IMHO. So for me they were useless, except for the fact that I EQed them to a DT-880 so I could enjoy them as neutral and natural sounding headphones.

So for me, personally, DT-990 has no justification. The DT-880 is a much better design.

I guess it depends on which Ultrasone you have in mind. Their PRO900, for example, is one of the worst headphones to my ears with a brutally harsh, fatiguing sound. I found the bass impact unbearable on them - it felt like my head was going to explode from all the low end pressure. The mids and highs were cold, thin and peaky with a tendency toward nasty sibilance and a completely unnatural, synthetic timbre. I find DT990 Pro the better headphone in every way. Other Ultrasones are not so bad. I actually liked the PRO750 and DJ1 quite a bit, but their treble still sounded unnaturally harsh to me. I think DT990 does highs better. I don't hear any sibilance with my DT990 Pro, unless it's coming from the source. I do hear emphasis on the treble, but treble quality is fantastic with these cans IMO - the highs are smooth, ultra detailed and accurate. To be fair, I think DT880 600 Ohm has fantastic highs too, probably even better than DT990 Pro highs. It's mainly the mids, dynamics and soundstage that suffer on DT880 in comparison to DT990 IMO. I feel that midrange is simply more natural and revealing with DT990, even if it's a bit more recessed and the sound is more open and dynamic than that of DT880. The bass on DT880 600 Ohm is tighter than the bass on DT990 Pro (which is 250 Ohm), but I would never call DT990 bass bloated - it's still a very impressive low end and sounds more spacious, powerful and realistic than the tighter, but more restrained DT880 600 bass to these ears. Detail resolution in the lows, as well as in the highs, is fairly similar between the two models I think. Now, if you compare DT880 250 Ohm with DT990 Pro, the former falls behind in bass definition IMO with a noticeably looser sounding bottom end, not to mention that it is also more sterile and lacking impact compared DT990s. Overall, my view is pretty much the exact opposite of yours - I think DT990 is the superior version and is possibly what Beyer originally intended their headphones to sound like, while DT880 is an attempt to make a more neutral and analytical headphone that is better suited for professional use, but at the expense of some sound quality. For serious monitoring DT880 is probably superior, but for music listening and enjoyment, I would take DT990 any day over them.

Nov 10, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #2,192 of 12,546
Actually I was referring to the HFI-780 at the time. The PRO 900 is a whole new level of 'fun'. :D

For me the elevated bass of the DT-990 makes no sense.
It sounds too airy and almost cloudy for Rock, so it cannot give you the live feeling like the v-shape of closed headphones can.
It's not punchy enough for Electro, and it's far off the dancefloor feeling of, say, the PRO 900. :wink:
It's too pronounced for Classical, making overwhelming pieces from Mahler, for example, too bloated and lose focus.
It's... well... pretty good with Jazz. :wink:
Problem is, though, that Beyerdynamic had to balance the bass with sibilant highs. They are simply annoying with everything except for very few recordings.

I think we can put it like this: I don't like bass boost with open designs. If I want bass, I want live feeling. An open design can't give me that. Maybe because I like small venues and I'm not the Rock am Ring kinda guy?

I also don't agree with your thoughts about the midrange comparison between 880 and 990 but I have to admit I didn't compare them side by side. I only bought the 880 afterwards.

Nov 12, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #2,193 of 12,546
Quote:
By the way, DT880 (600ohm) received the highest A+ price/performance mark from DavidMahler reviewer in his Battle Of The Flagships (50+ Headphones Compared) thread.

That's what we've been talking about 145 pages or so.

Yeaper, still stocked about getting my 600 ohm version soon! loving the 250 about to get a cheap Tube Amp for it [Bravo v2] so I have something to tie me over till I can shell out the change for a nice Set up to run the 600 ohm with :3

Nov 12, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #2,194 of 12,546
Quote:

I guess it depends on which Ultrasone you have in mind. Their PRO900, for example, is one of the worst headphones to my ears with a brutally harsh, fatiguing sound. I found the bass impact unbearable on them - it felt like my head was going to explode from all the low end pressure. The mids and highs were cold, thin and peaky with a tendency toward nasty sibilance and a completely unnatural, synthetic timbre. I find DT990 Pro the better headphone in every way. Other Ultrasones are not so bad. I actually liked the PRO750 and DJ1 quite a bit, but their treble still sounded unnaturally harsh to me. I think DT990 does highs better. 

... "felt like my head was going to explode" I'm hoping the XB1000 will be the Closed can for me that get's me to XPLODING head levels of bass :3
Quote:
Actually I was referring to the HFI-780 at the time. The PRO 900 is a whole new level of 'fun'. :D

For me the elevated bass of the DT-990 makes no sense.
It sounds too airy and almost cloudy for Rock, so it cannot give you the live feeling like the v-shape of closed headphones can.
It's not punchy enough for Electro, and it's far off the dancefloor feeling of, say, the PRO 900. :wink:
It's too pronounced for Classical, making overwhelming pieces from Mahler, for example, too bloated and lose focus.
It's... well... pretty good with Jazz. :wink:
Problem is, though, that Beyerdynamic had to balance the bass with sibilant highs. They are simply annoying with everything except for very few recordings.

I think we can put it like this: I don't like bass boost with open designs. If I want bass, I want live feeling. An open design can't give me that. Maybe because I like small venues and I'm not the Rock am Ring kinda guy?

I also don't agree with your thoughts about the midrange comparison between 880 and 990 but I have to admit I didn't compare them side by side. I only bought the 880 afterwards.

Oh man this is not what I want to hear >.> Pro 900 BEATING the Dt 990 pro in bass [but I knew it would closed cans do that] NON the less, I like what I hear when I EQ SLAM some bass into the dt 880s and I feel that the Dt 990s will be sufficently Punchy for Drum n Bass or EDM [not to mention I'll be EQ Slammin em along with a bass boostin amp] 

But as always... better for me to listen to them myself than listen to your feed back. As a few of the Bass Head club members vouch for the Dt 990's Pro Bass impact... so I think I'll take mah chances :3. Plus in all honesty the Dt 880 has a nice minilistic impact for a good amount of EDM imo [without any eq] So Pianist your ears might not be accustom to picking up on that impact :D [then again I'm blind, can't smell or even taste so... my ears are about all works right] Not to mention I played Bass for a few years. My Point... I still think the Dt 990 will work better for me than the Pro 900 and personally... I don't like the Hype of the Pro 900 so I plan to avoid it for as long as I can 

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #2,196 of 12,546
Are there DT880 Pro 600-Ohm headphones?

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #2,198 of 12,546
Quote:
Are there DT880 Pro 600-Ohm headphones?

Quote:
I searched and searched, but at least as far as the current lineup is concerned, no, the pro only comes in 250 ohm.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/506963/dt880-600ohm-bs/345#post_8645984
wink.gif

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #2,199 of 12,546
Quote:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/506963/dt880-600ohm-bs/345#post_8645984
wink.gif

Cool, DT880 Pro 600-Ohm headphones.
As I'm not really seeing any listing on Beyerdynamic current line up, I'm guessing they are not made anymore or they are some special order from Beyerdynamic?

Nov 14, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #2,200 of 12,546
Quote:
As I'm not really seeing any listing on Beyerdynamic current line up, I'm guessing they are not made anymore or they are some special order from Beyerdynamic?

Yes it's pretty confusing with the listing on Beyerdynamic current line up especially the DT880 lineup, Jaben Indonesia is selling the DT880/600ohm Pro rather than the Premium version, but i don't know if Jaben made a special order for the DT88/600ohm Pro version. On the Jaben website you will see that they put the 250ohm Pro version version same as you see on the Beyerdynamic website

Nov 14, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #2,201 of 12,546
Quote:

I've only seen those in pockets of the asian market. Not in North American/European markets. 

Nov 15, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #2,203 of 12,546
I was wondering what would be the best, because I see a lot of love for these headphones. This or the HE-400? I listen to a lot of music from 60-70s and I want to get something that can resolve a lot with substantial bass, although I am not a bassehead. I have and do enjoy a lot of jazz and classical, because I played in a Jazz band and also played classical guitar.
I have heard these take a lot to amp but I do have an O2+ODAC, so I think it will not be a problem. I want to make the most of my amp and I heard the HE 400 do require as much amping.
Thanks a lot for your opinions :)

Nov 16, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #2,204 of 12,546
Quote:
I was wondering what would be the best, because I see a lot of love for these headphones. This or the HE-400? I listen to a lot of music from 60-70s and I want to get something that can resolve a lot with substantial bass, although I am not a bassehead. I have and do enjoy a lot of jazz and classical, because I played in a Jazz band and also played classical guitar.
I have heard these take a lot to amp but I do have an O2+ODAC, so I think it will not be a problem. I want to make the most of my amp and I heard the HE 400 do require as much amping.
Thanks a lot for your opinions
smily_headphones1.gif

... you come to the DT 880 600 ohm thread and ask if the HE-400 is better... I think you may find a little more bias here than you need <3. But personally when I get the 600 ohm I'm running mine through TUBES! 

Nov 16, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #2,205 of 12,546
Quote:
Thanks a lot for your opinions
smily_headphones1.gif

I doubt the 38-Ohm HE-400s need as much "amping" as the 600-Ohm DT880s
The O2 can drive just about any headphone sold on the planet.
I'm a DT880 owner (250 & 600), But I have a feeling you might prefer the HE-400s over the DT880s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back