The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Aug 5, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #1,981 of 12,546
Hello everyone,

I am a new poster here, however I have been using these forums for research for quite a while. And recently due to the praise they have received on here, I have purchased a pair of DT880/600ohm headphones. Now I am searching for a desktop amp to power them. Currently my set up is the following: Xonar DX (ASIO) > SPDIF > Denon Avr-590 receiver > HP out. I have been researching and reading reviews and opinions for different amps, and the new that constantly keep appearing are Little Dot MK IV, Schiit Valhalla, and WA3. (The Schiit Asgard seems to be also highly regarded). I have also seen in this thread that the Bottlehead Crack is a good amp, however it is a DIY kit which I am not so enthusiastic about. This is my first foray into higher end audio, and therefore wanted to get some feedback on which amp would be the better choice. The music I mostly listen to is metal, but recently have started exploring the electronic scene, and sometimes listen to classical as well. 

Thanks All.

Aug 5, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #1,982 of 12,546
Hello everyone,

I am a new poster here, however I have been using these forums for research for quite a while. And recently due to the praise they have received on here, I have purchased a pair of DT880/600ohm headphones. Now I am searching for a desktop amp to power them. Currently my set up is the following: Xonar DX (ASIO) > SPDIF > Denon Avr-590 receiver > HP out. I have been researching and reading reviews and opinions for different amps, and the new that constantly keep appearing are Little Dot MK IV, Schiit Valhalla, and WA3. (The Schiit Asgard seems to be also highly regarded). I have also seen in this thread that the Bottlehead Crack is a good amp, however it is a DIY kit which I am not so enthusiastic about. This is my first foray into higher end audio, and therefore wanted to get some feedback on which amp would be the better choice. The music I mostly listen to is metal, but recently have started exploring the electronic scene, and sometimes listen to classical as well. 

Thanks All.
Hello Nd welcome to headfi. I use my bottlehead for jazz and classical. I have a diy CK2III solid state which I prefer for the 880 when listening to rock and blues as it is more aggresive. If you're not in a rush and there's a meet in your area, try to go as it will open more options for you. In the meantime, enjoy.

Aug 5, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #1,983 of 12,546
I used a Valhalla with my 600ohm 880s and thought it was a very nice combination with a wide variety of music. Another option you may want to consider is the Graham Slee Novo which I thought was a very nice sounding combination. I did find with better quality recordings, which does mean quieter more often than not, I had to turn the volume up to about 2 or even 3 oclock with both the Valhalla and NOVO, but that did not affect the sound quality in anyway, in fact I e-mailed Jason from Schiit about this and he felt strongly that it was fine and would not result in clipping if the source wasn't clipping. I am not sure if there are other amplifiers at similar price points that will have the sonic performance, plus greater power. Keep in mind that most people tend to feel that I listen to my music louder than they do, but not painfully loud.

Aug 5, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #1,984 of 12,546
Quote:
Hello everyone,

Thanks All.

Woo above Schiit and LD.  Other contenders are Darkvoice and La Figaro with tube upgrades.  My ears only :)

Aug 6, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #1,985 of 12,546
Don't Woo amps sound more tubey than the Valhalla? That is what I have read from members who have owned/used both, and if that is true then it would depend on how lush you like your sound presented. I have not had the opportunity to hear any Woo gear myself for more than a few minutes so I have no opinion one way or the other, just curiosity.

Aug 8, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #1,986 of 12,546
Quote:
Hello everyone,

Thanks All.

I'm a big fan of the La Figaro 336C for the DTs.
I have a collection of NOS tubes I use in it.

Aug 9, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #1,987 of 12,546
Quote:
Don't Woo amps sound more tubey than the Valhalla? That is what I have read from members who have owned/used both, and if that is true then it would depend on how lush you like your sound presented. I have not had the opportunity to hear any Woo gear myself for more than a few minutes so I have no opinion one way or the other, just curiosity.

yes, they do with some tube combos, yet others can make it sound less tubey.  In my listening the Schiit was more analytical.  It depends on which you prefer.

Aug 9, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #1,988 of 12,546
Quote:
yes, they do with some tube combos, yet others can make it sound less tubey.  In my listening the Schiit was more analytical.  It depends on which you prefer.

Please compare Woo to Valhalla to La Figaro 336C.

Aug 10, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #1,989 of 12,546
Quote:

Which Woo ?... the 3 (OTL) is very different than the 6 (Transformer coupled), both are very different than the 2 and 5. 

Aug 10, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #1,990 of 12,546
Quote:

Man, my memory is not that good, all I can tell you is that my impressions of all the Woo amps I heard at RMAF were very good.  I carried around my Shure 840s at the time, but got to hear them with much better cans as well.  I also listened to the Schiit amps which did not impress me nearly as much.  Right now very happy with the Figaro for the price.  It is after all an entry level tube amp, but get some great tubes in it (no $100 tubes for me though) and it sings well for the price.

Aug 11, 2012 at 4:39 AM Post #1,991 of 12,546
Ah, so confusing. I've had my pair of DT880s for about a year, and using a Bravo Audi (heh). I didn't want to build a kit, so I'm trying to decide between the La Figaro 336C and the Schiit Valhalla. The Valhalla is a bit pricey new...
I look forward to the comparison, bixby!

Aug 11, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #1,993 of 12,546
Quote:
Ah, so confusing. I've had my pair of DT880s for about a year, and using a Bravo Audi (heh). I didn't want to build a kit, so I'm trying to decide between the La Figaro 336C and the Schiit Valhalla. The Valhalla is a bit pricey new...
I look forward to the comparison, bixby!

I own a La Figaro.
I've never heard any Valhalla product.
There's got to be someone out there who give us something more definitive.
I can only go by what I've read on Head Fi.
While I can vouch for the 336C being a bit on the the nice, warm side for a tube amp and a great match for the 600 ohm DT880, the word on Head Fi seems to that the Valhalla leans toward being a more analytical sounding amp than the 336C.  I'm not trying to bad mouth the Valhalla, the Schiit stuff seems to have great reputation.
I find the DT880s to be a bit dry, the 336C seems to do a good job of balancing this out.
If this kind of thing interests you:
The Valhalla is Made in USA
The 336C is Made In China.

Aug 11, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #1,994 of 12,546
Add the Little Dot MK IV to the list as a value proposition that goes very well with the 600 ohm DT880.  Easy to tube roll - and adds just enough euphonics to the mid-range to really make the 880s sing.  I have no idea how ti would stack up with the Valhalla or La Figaro - but it does go well with the Beyers.

Aug 11, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #1,995 of 12,546
Quote:
Add the Little Dot MK IV to the list as a value proposition that goes very well with the 600 ohm DT880.  Easy to tube roll - and adds just enough euphonics to the mid-range to really make the 880s sing.  I have no idea how ti would stack up with the Valhalla or La Figaro - but it does go well with the Beyers.

Good to hear the Mark IV is doing the job.  My experience with the Little Dot mark III was a real disappointment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back