The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Feb 23, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #1,683 of 12,546

Quote:
So I posted a while back on this thread about my DT880's not having alot of bass compared to the T70's. Well I've been wondering if there was something out of spec on my 880's ever since I got some HD650's (which I know have more bass than the 880's) However, compared to the 650's the 880's have literally no bass or sub-bass. So I took em to a friends last night and compared the 600ohm 880's with the 32 ohm 880's and it was the same thing again. 32's had plenty of bass, while my 600's had none, as well as the fact that they were wayyyyyy brighter. 

Is this normal? Just wondering if I need to send them back to Beyer to have them checked out. I can't see how it would be an issue with them being poorly amped as I'm using them with a Bottlehead Crack.

Any thoughts?

This sounds quite strange indeed.  Have you used some tracks with good but not over the top bass to begin with like Massive Attack Mezzanine for instance?  Do you get any semblance of bass on those type tracks.?  If so, what type files are you using at your source?  MP3 AAC, AIFF, WAV, etc?  I am wondering if the source files and player might be at fault.  

The Senn 650 is very warm sounding by comparison I had both here a month ago to roll tubes and the Beyers are quite a bit more revealing in the mids and lower treble.  There is a pretty good peak starting at 6k or so on the Beyers that makes them sound somewhat analytical compared to the Senns and source type might actually make the Senns a lot more agreeable if lower quality player or files are used.  Assuming you have some decent tubes in the Crack (non Russian for the most part)  the only other thing I can think of might be that one side might be wired out of phase.  Then again that would make the highs sound weird too.  

Any other headfier near Toledo that can meet up with him to check his 880s out?

Feb 23, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #1,684 of 12,546
Thanks for the info!

How exactly would the high's sound if the drivers were out of phase?

I'll have to look at which tube I have in the Crack when I get home, i haven't rolled in a new one yet though.

I don't think it's a source issue, almost all my music is flac, from my computer i'm running -> optical out -> Maverick Tubemagic D1 -> Crack

Feb 23, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #1,685 of 12,546
Pls don't be insulted, but is there any chance you're using the wrong output from the Maverick to the Crack? I'm thinking double-amping might do what you describe . . .

Feb 24, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #1,687 of 12,546

Quote:
Thanks for the info!

How exactly would the high's sound if the drivers were out of phase?

I'll have to look at which tube I have in the Crack when I get home, i haven't rolled in a new one yet though.

I don't think it's a source issue, almost all my music is flac, from my computer i'm running -> optical out -> Maverick Tubemagic D1 -> Crack

If out of phase, voice or high pitched instruments should have a diffuse quality that seems hard to pinpoint location.

Source files appear to be good, don't think the player could be the culprit.

Feb 24, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #1,688 of 12,546
Holy tap dancing christ what an amazing upgrade from my A700s these are!The soundstage and treble are unreal. And best of all they are powered through my e11 right now; I can only imagine how good they will be once I get my Wa6! I am super pumped right now, I'm not the biggest believer in burn-in but they can only sound better after a while right? 

Feb 24, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #1,690 of 12,546
Quote:
Mullard GZ32

Nice! Might have to try one of those.

Quote:
Holy tap dancing christ what an amazing upgrade from my A700s these are!The soundstage and treble are unreal. And best of all they are powered through my e11 right now; I can only imagine how good they will be once I get my Wa6! I am super pumped right now, I'm not the biggest believer in burn-in but they can only sound better after a while right? 

I believe my pair developed some pretty nice bass over time... maybe going on 400+ hours. I'm not a huge 'believer' as I didn't hear it with my HD600s but compared to a new DT880/600 my pair are quite different.

Feb 25, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #1,692 of 12,546

Quote:

I did not hear any difference after burn-in.
I suspect our ear/brain just gets used to the sound of the 'phones.
Best way to burn these in is to put them on your head & listen to some tunes!

Bixby and I use the La Figaro 336C and both agree it is top notch, so if you get a WA6 you should be in for a treat.

Feb 26, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #1,694 of 12,546
If you ever get a chance compare a heavily burned in pair to a brand new one... either they change there sound over time or over the years the drivers Beyer produce are attuned slightly differently. As I say I've heard a 400+ hour one compared to a new one and there is a pretty big and noticeable difference. Also a fella here recently got a new driver to put in his aged 880s and it sounds unbalanced, missing bass, sibilant etc...

Feb 26, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #1,695 of 12,546
The vintage DT880's were tuned differently. They were still heavy on the treble but had more mids and bass. They also were not sibilant at all. The soundstage was also bigger and more open.

Quote:
If you ever get a chance compare a heavily burned in pair to a brand new one... either they change there sound over time or over the years the drivers Beyer produce are attuned slightly differently. As I say I've heard a 400+ hour one compared to a new one and there is a pretty big and noticeable difference. Also a fella here recently got a new driver to put in his aged 880s and it sounds unbalanced, missing bass, sibilant etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back