The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Jun 25, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #1,367 of 12,546
Today, I tried the DT880's 2005 model (250ohm), with my Audiotrak Dr.DAC2 (excellent dac+amp in the 300$-400$ price range)
It sounded pretty dull.. i want to say - choked, like it had no air at all... bad mix.

-Eyal

Jun 25, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #1,370 of 12,546
I understand.
But in general, you cant say that his or that amp is good / proper for certain heapdhones, just because it can drive them at extremely loud level.
What i meant is, that 250 ohm impedance might be the border, where tube amps can wake these headphones.
As you may already know, there are basically two types of amps (i do not count hybrid)
1. Solid-State amps. These are good in general with low impedance headphones, because low impedance headphones needs more current to wake up and sing. And that's what SS amps are good at. Providing current.
2. Tube amps. These are good in general with high impedance headphones, because high impedance headphones needs more voltage. And tube amps are great at delivering voltage.

The problem is, no one can tell where is the border between low impedance and high impedance.
My opinion is, that 250 ohm is pretty much belonging to the high-impedance headphones. (I am judging from 300 Ohm HD600 and HD650 which people drive with tube amps and they are happy.)
If you have a chance and opportunity, try tube amp with these beyers.
It might change everything, but it might not. I cant tell for sure.

Regards,
Imp

Jun 25, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #1,371 of 12,546
The DT880s are very polite sounding, not anything like the Koss and Grado headphones you own. With a proper amp I feel they don't sound dull however. For reference: with the Little Dot MKIV SE (tube amp) I indeed though they sounded a little dull (though with the nice tube sound), but with my solid state Goldpoint they become more alive.

Jun 25, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #1,372 of 12,546
I See.. good to know regarding the LD amps.
So, the first rule I learned, is that i should always check with other users, to their experience, before buying an amp for a certain headphone..
confusing, as when I decide to change the headphone, i might need to change the amp. and vice versa ...:frowning2:

-Eyal

Jun 26, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #1,373 of 12,546
I am approaching 60 hours on the 880 and burn in is apparent. It has eliminated the vocal sibilance I heard. This has been very interesting for me after spending a year with all the flagships. The HD600 arrives early this week so in about 4 weeks I intend to make comparison with all the mid priced high end cans in contrast to the ortho and dynamic flagship. you may be surprised at some observation i will have but these sound very good indeed especially with my CSP-2 SET .

Jun 26, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #1,375 of 12,546

Quote:
I am approaching 60 hours on the 880 and burn in is apparent. It has eliminated the vocal sibilance I heard. This has been very interesting for me after spending a year with all the flagships. The HD600 arrives early this week so in about 4 weeks I intend to make comparison with all the mid priced high end cans in contrast to the ortho and dynamic flagship. you may be surprised at some observation i will have but these sound very good indeed especially with my CSP-2 SET .

I'm looking forward to that. I have the DT880 and HD600 and I think I'm covered for quite some time until I decide I want to venture into the next level in terms of price range where cans go for ~$1000 or so. Both the HD600 and DT880 have some similar traits but I tend to prefer the DT880 ever since I got them but the HD600 is still good once in a while.

Jun 26, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #1,376 of 12,546
I am getting a TWCu recabled, dual entry DT880/600 from Craig at Whiplash and i just purchased a used HE4 to compare.  i know people over and over were telling me that the HE4 is a supercharged DT880/600 but i want to see how it stacks up recabled. 

Jun 30, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #1,377 of 12,546
Well folks, mine finally came! I bought a Little Dot MK III and DT 880 600 ohm, so far it's a neat combo. I just got the cans today, so they haven't experienced any burn in, but I'll get to work on that right away. Currently they are perhaps a little bright for my tastes, but we shall see where things go. 

One of the main reasons I chose these headphones was for comfort, I'd heard that they were super comfy... but the truth is more than I had expected. They weight almost nothing and I have already forgotten they were on my head a few times. 

Jun 30, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #1,379 of 12,546
They can be bright - depending on what amp you are using but I've not hear the DT 880 (600ohms) with the little Dot MK3...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back