The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Jun 23, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #1,351 of 12,546
Puck your right these for the price sound  very good especially with the CSP-2. I am going to let it burn in overnight on my Pioneer and it is sounding better already. It does not leak much more like a closed can than an open but the Beyer sound is there.

Jun 23, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #1,352 of 12,546
The DT880 is definitely a very good headphone. My only complaint is that I do not like the stiff cable and it keeps memory of how it is stored which I am not a fan of. I may get it recabled to have a nicer looking cable, possibly fixing the issue I have with the cable and if there are any sonic improvements thats just an added bonus.

i was initially worried about my PPAv2 amp not being good enough or the reports that it would be too bright but ever since I got these my HD600 have become a long time resident in the box it came with. I've used them 2 or 3 times since my DT880 have arrived. I think these are pretty much the ideal set of cans for me signature wise. I can't imagine things getting too much better without hitting the price range of the T1, HD800, etc.

Jun 23, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #1,353 of 12,546

Quote:
Have T1, HE-6, Stax sr-407, and DT880/600 still hold its unique place un-forsaken. 
biggrin.gif

Not trying to argue, and not trying to say that it is better than flagship models, but to say it is worth to keep, especially considering its price tag.

I dunno, I see no point in keeping it once you have the T1 or HE500/6. Very similar sound but overall much better (obviously). But for the price of course its a good can. 

Jun 24, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #1,354 of 12,546
Just to provide another data point.  I found DT880's tonality in mid/high sounds very closer to HE-6 (rather than T1).  That is where DT880 shines really well.  It is so sweet, lively, and easy without strain, which is similar to my Stax gear in that aspect, especially for classical music and soundtrack. 

The issue of DT880 is lesser dynamic range (compare to T1), lesser focus accuracy (compare to T1), and lesser bass amount and quality (comparing to HE-6, 407, and T1). That is where you spend money for. 
wink.gif

Disclaimer: I had very different music genre to yours.
wink_face.gif

Quote:
I dunno, I see no point in keeping it once you have the T1 or HE500/6. Very similar sound but overall much better (obviously). But for the price of course its a good can. 

Jun 24, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #1,355 of 12,546
dukja, I just noticed your profile and you have your DT880 recabled by Zombie_X. How do you like the recable and did it provide any sonic benefits in your opinion? I don't have a stand on cables yet due to lack of experience in that area but I'm always willing to give it a try before formulating one.

Jun 24, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #1,356 of 12,546
I was hesitated to send out my phones for recabling.  But when I got my 2nd already re-cabled DT880/600, I was immediately persuaded and get ZXAC cable for my 3rd pair DT880.  Zombie-X is a great head-fier.  Fully committed for excellent service.  And the price was very reasonable.

Most importantly, I rated my DT880 with his cable as the best of what I ever heard.  Very clear and smooth with excellent details.  It was another level up comparing to mongami wire.

Quote:
dukja, I just noticed your profile and you have your DT880 recabled by Zombie_X. How do you like the recable and did it provide any sonic benefits in your opinion? I don't have a stand on cables yet due to lack of experience in that area but I'm always willing to give it a try before formulating one.

Jun 24, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #1,358 of 12,546
My recabled DT770/600 sounded much better after the recable. I think the DT series Beyers benefit a lot from this.

Jun 24, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #1,361 of 12,546
Yeah I saw it advertised there too - who is doing the recabling for you? And how come you are selling your SR-71B?? IT is supposed to be awesome....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back