The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Jul 28, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #676 of 12,548
The elder DT880'250 from 2003 was a very poor allrounder although its sound sig was very likeable. The 880'600 differs very positivly in that respect.

Jul 28, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #679 of 12,548

Quote:
V_T,
Keep us posted when they arrive!  : )

PAB

Well PAB, just pulled the triger on Beyerdinamic Manufaktur, now the long waiting begins...
Hopefully i won't regret it.
They will be my first (new) pair of headphones, guess i've got to celebrate
beerchug.gif
!

V_T

Jul 29, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #681 of 12,548
congrats 
smile.gif

these are really wonderful cans! from the smooth treble, ample bass, and wide soundstage, plus the comfort factor, everything is just so right!

Quote:

Well PAB, just pulled the triger on Beyerdinamic Manufaktur, now the long waiting begins...
beerchug.gif
!

V_T

Jul 30, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #684 of 12,548
V_T,
Congratulations!  Please share your first impressions with us.
The DT880/600 will give you lots to enjoy with their clear, detailed presentation, nicely integrated mids, bass smack and HF shimmer.

: )

PAB

Quote:
beerchug.gif
!

V_T

Jul 30, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #685 of 12,548

Quote:
V_T,
Congratulations!  Please share your first impressions with us.
The DT880/600 will give you lots to enjoy with their clear, detailed presentation, nicely integrated mids, bass smack and HF shimmer.

: )

PAB

Hey Pat...
Did I somehow miss a detailed review of your newly re-cabled DT880's? If so, please give a link, otherwise... what do you think??
L3000.gif

shane

Jul 30, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #686 of 12,548
so...  in the usual manner of tweaking and such, i bought a set of beyer leather pads from drew @ moon audio.

i got them in today and put them on my ddt880/600.
first, they were an absolute bee-otch to put on. 
second, they feel nice, and the leather seems to be of pretty decent quality.

so, moving on to the sound...
um....   i dunno.  you guys have probably all been through this already, and i'm either preaching to the choir, or making a fool of myself...

but, i'll share anyway. 
wink_face.gif

i thought they sounded horrible
basshead.gif
  while i feel that they do add a touch of thump to the sound, they also add a cavernous effect, particularly in the mid-band where vocals live.  suddenly singers have this reverberation, and midrange details swim around without resolve...

too bad i blew $35.

i guess it won't hurt to try them on my dt990s before retiring them.  but, i don't have a lot of hope... 

Jul 30, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #688 of 12,548
@ TheWuss

basshead.gif

Sorry to hear that.

Universal... All sources & types of music?

shane

Jul 30, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #689 of 12,548

Quote:

Universal... All sources & types of music?

well... only my caliente and wa6 can drive them.  so i listened briefly to both those amps (from the same source).
same with both.

i listened to 5 or 6 songs.  and it is more prominent in fuller and denser music.  say, rock and alternative music.  and less prominent with folk and such. 
i guess what i'm saying is that the more "stuff" in the midrange, the more damage is done by the leather pads.
and the sparser the music, the less you notice the cavernous effect.

i certainly don't want to single anyone out.  but, it does make me wonder about the folks who ordered the manufaktur with leather pads... 

while they have no point of comparison, they may find that switching to the velour pads is quite a different experience...

Jul 31, 2010 at 10:21 AM Post #690 of 12,548
The problem is all Beyer sells anymore is the Aviator leather pads, which do sound awful on the hifi cans. They used to sell leather pads specifically designed for the D880/990 via Manufacture, but for some reason they stopped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back