The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Jan 6, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #11,071 of 12,546
Are new 880's warmer sounding than older ones or is it just me? I've heard a couple of new DT880's lately and also an older one, and the newer ones all seemed obviously warmer sounding with darker / smoother treble (which is a plus). Maybe newer pads are different?

I seem to recall reading on here (or elsewhere?) about some revisions to the DT 880 along the way (since it's been around a long time as I understand), how old exactly are the old ones you're talking about? I bought my DT 880 Pro/250 on Amazon just last year, so I'm assuming it's a recent set, although it was a certified refurbished set.

Jan 6, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #11,072 of 12,546
The older pair i'm not sure how old, but was a few years old i'm guessing. The new pairs, especially the Pro model I have right now, has less sharp treble, much more smooth I think. Don't have them to A-B now, but from memory I'm pretty sure there's a differnce. Also a new Edition model i heard last year seemed smoother in the highs.

Jan 27, 2018 at 7:04 AM Post #11,073 of 12,546
I got a used 880 the in the last months and I am really impressed what they are able to do.
I am experimenting around a little bit with "equalizing"
And with this headphone the result is the best. (compered to K70x, HD600 and others)
I guess the damping is done very well so it allows eq more intense.

My results:
dt880_resp.png

I think thats pretty good.

The only thing is that there is peak at ~5kHz which can not be eqed but must be damped.

The older pair i'm not sure how old, but was a few years old i'm guessing. The new pairs, especially the Pro model I have right now, has less sharp treble, much more smooth I think. Don't have them to A-B now, but from memory I'm pretty sure there's a differnce. Also a new Edition model i heard last year seemed smoother in the highs.
So I wonder if the new models don't have that 5kHz peak anymore.

Feb 1, 2018 at 1:58 AM Post #11,074 of 12,546
I got a used 880 the in the last months and I am really impressed what they are able to do.
I am experimenting around a little bit with "equalizing"
And with this headphone the result is the best. (compered to K70x, HD600 and others)
I guess the damping is done very well so it allows eq more intense.

My results:

I think thats pretty good.

The only thing is that there is peak at ~5kHz which can not be eqed but must be damped.

So I wonder if the new models don't have that 5kHz peak anymore.

seXtett.LP bite my ears more than 880.250. 880 smooth across the spectrum 4 me :D. I imagine the 600ohm even smoother according to most who have commented on the 250 vs 600. Though my ears are 30 years young :D, In saying that, i can see fatigue setting in for those who crank it up, and leave it up there for periods of 30mins or more at high volumes. Beyer house sound seems to like to scratch the ear drums slowly and steadily. Moderate volume seems to yield best results for long term listening sessions :D

Feb 2, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #11,075 of 12,546
I recently bought a new pair of DT880 (600 Ohms) to replace my broken old pair. All I can say is that the new pair certainly has a warmer and somewhat richer sound with buttery smooth treble. It also seems that the punchiness has increased. These must be the best headphones money can buy.

Feb 3, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #11,076 of 12,546
I recently bought a new pair of DT880 (600 Ohms) to replace my broken old pair. All I can say is that the new pair certainly has a warmer and somewhat richer sound with buttery smooth treble. It also seems that the punchiness has increased. These must be the best headphones money can buy.

Sounds interesting since treble is very hard to correct anyhow.

It may depends also on the pads.
New pads could make them sound punchier again.

Feb 20, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #11,079 of 12,546
I agree completely. A while ago I bought a pair of DT880 Pro and wasn't as impressed as I expected I would be by them. Then I swapped out the default velour pads for some synthetic leather aftermarket pads and was impressed. I recently took advantage of the Brainwavz sale on their memory foam sheepskin round pads (currently $25, down from $40)

Hi, I'm thinking of trying the round Brainwavz pads on my T70's, whch I believe take the same pads size as the DT880. Can you confirm they are the same dimensions as the originals, and they fit properly? - Thanks

Feb 20, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #11,080 of 12,546
I think this has been mentioned...possibly by myself.

Has anyone found a good fix for the Chrome edition's "falling easily" headband sliders? Anytime I move them or put them on, they slide right down and even when on my head...sometimes they still slip down. I haven't been able to figure anything out. :frowning2:

Feb 20, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #11,081 of 12,546

Has anyone found a good fix for the Chrome edition's "falling easily" headband sliders? Anytime I move them or put them on, they slide right down and even when on my head...sometimes they still slip down. I haven't been able to figure anything out. :frowning2:

I find my left earpiece does this from time to time (although never while wearing them), haven't found a fix but it can be a bit annoying sometimes.

Feb 20, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #11,082 of 12,546

It's not just the chrome edition - I have some T1's and they do it too. I'd open them up and tighten this, but (at least on the T1's) there are no screws on the headband where the yokes slide in.

Feb 20, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #11,083 of 12,546
It's not just the chrome edition - I have some T1's and they do it too. I'd open them up and tighten this, but (at least on the T1's) there are no screws on the headband where the yokes slide in.
That's exactly my problem. I really thought the 880 Premium had screws there...yokes are the little two sided "prongs with a handle" lol that hold the ear cup right?

Feb 21, 2018 at 5:30 AM Post #11,085 of 12,546
Yes, correct. Where they slide in probably snaps apart, but I'm not going to risk breaking them trying to get them apart.

This design has been around for decades - one would think this would have been fixed a long time ago.
Lol...I know. :frowning2:

I managed to jam a 2nd zip tie in there and that’s keeping them in place when on my head. As long as I’m careful taking them off and setting them down, they’ll stay now...so most of my pain is gone. :D

Here’s the original image from last December:

2joBmIB.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back