The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Feb 22, 2018 at 1:57 AM Post #11,086 of 12,546
Got a fix...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QzzReF0rtxiR57U77cO4trWiv6-LFJ-S

Just took a rubber band, a small knife, and 5oz glass of Opimum Nutrition Amino Energy ON.

The sliders work like clamps now. It takes considerably more effort than I’d like, but sets and stays like clipless pedals. Hope this helps some of you.

Edit...here’s the rubber band going through. I used a thicker band, so harder to thread, but less likely to tear.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZtiMd9sZe0EjJilPv027Fjh3SV0nu1q8

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IWWXdm0EiGRmkrHWeg67F_Wd6e6MzVtoP

Edit 2...they cable between the two sides cane longer in one side than the other, so I took the time to alleviate that too.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MjsZXlZggFIUOMvS5ulc6L_sIZVoWxCN

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #11,088 of 12,546
Guys, did anyone compare DT-880 600Ohm with AKG K701/2 just for classical music?
I would be grateful if anyone could help me sort this dilemma. :)

Thanks!

Classical is all I listen to. I have AKG's and I like them, but I went from them to the 880, and from the 880 to the T1. Classical can be very "detailed" music. The Beyer's bring all those minute details out.

Mar 1, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #11,090 of 12,546
Thank you man!

I am classical musician, so that is why I ask. Can you tell me from memory, what was different with AKG and DT 880?

Thank you!

They are both fine headphones. Beyer's are a little more "airy", bright, and detail-oriented. As a musician, you may appreciate hearing more detail as you will have a different appreciation for the music than than the average listener. One thing.. the DT's are 600 Ohm so a better amp would be in order for them.

Mar 1, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #11,096 of 12,546
Ok. Thanks. I will buy Amp down the road. :)
Do you think that 600Ohm is completely unlistenable without amp?

No, the 600 Ohm Beyer's are not realistically usable without some kind of desktop amp. A portable player just isn't going to do it. The AKG's might be OK, but not the Beyers. Check over at Massdrop - they normally have some good prices on amps that would work with the Beyer. Also, consider used gear - you can find lots of good gear at 1/2 the price of new that works perfectly. I have 1/2 new and 1/2 used gear. Buying new is fun, but buying used has saved me a lot of $.

By the way, the DT-880 comes in 3 impedances - 32, 250, and 600. If you don't want to buy a dedicated amp, the lower impedance versions would work fine.

Mar 1, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #11,098 of 12,546
I've had mine for nearly 10 years. Just replaced the pads (lots of trial and error - purchased pads for DT770 thinking they'd work (wrong), tried Dekoni sheepskin (ugh), finally got the right pads (yay!), and they've asserted themselves as my go-to can for all kinds of listening. They work very well with my Schiit gear.

Mar 1, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #11,099 of 12,546
Guys, did anyone compare DT-880 600Ohm with AKG K701/2 just for classical music?
I would be grateful if anyone could help me sort this dilemma. :)

Thanks!

Both need a good DAC/Amp to shine.
People will say the AKG is easier to drive because it's a little bit more sensitive, but it's far less efficient.
DT880/600 is the easier load despite sounding a little bit lower for a given volume level.
AKG K7-series drains much more current than the Beyers, and thus it's the one that needs much higher amount of clean power to shine.

When it comes to sound, both are very good but different.
It relly depends on how YOU weight thighs.

AKG offers:
- Tighter, clearer sound from bass to midrange
- More forward presentation / more attack on pianos
- Significantly bigger soundstage / sound separation
- Superior layering (great for orchestra and opera)
- More opaque signature (some find this more realistic, less clinical)
- Dry-ish presentation (vs cool and bright)

DT880 offers
- More cohesive sound
- Softer and more relaxed upper midrange
- Sharper / faster treble
- More extension in the upper treble (airier)
- Cool and bright presention (vs dry-ish on the AKG)

I've enjoyed both DT880 and K702, both have strong points.
To me, the AKG is a more technical headphone, great for critical listening. Everything is there, big, clear, separated, tight. That's why you can still find K702 used for mixing on audiophile studios.
The semi-open DT880 on the other hand is not as macro-detailed / clear across the board but it has a very even frequency response from bass to midrange (pretty much the same as HD800/HD800S) and boasts an airier and more sparkly treble, that's lightning fast relative to the more opaque AKG.

Depending on how you weight things you'll consider one to the superior headphone.
Both are on the same level in the big scheme of things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back