The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Dec 22, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #10,471 of 12,546
 Originally Posted by DCofficehack   
It's hard to justify spending money for peer headphones (i.e. getting a HD600 when one already has a DT880), when one is not clearly superior to the other. One is simply different from the other. Shades of color. I suppose if one had lots of money, it would be fun simply for the sake of trying something new.  I would if I could. Now there are cans that are, I presume, significantly better, but that would take a lot more money.

I'd still like to give the HD600 a go simply because it's regarded by so many as a bench mark, a broadly expected point of comparison. I'm guessing one would learn a lot by comparing it with the DT880s as well as other cans to get a better idea of one's personal sound signature preferences.

Quote:
  I don't know. I guess I think of this differently. I think if you have tons of money to burn then you go straight to hi-fi and buy HE6, HD800(s), T1, LCD-3, PS-1000 etc. and amps/DAC's that cost thousands. 

Buying in the mid-fi range makes way more sense to me. Maybe it's because I've never heard hi-fi headphones, and definitely not a summit-fi set. In my mind, for $299 or less I've been able to buy each of my current headphones and drastically alter the sound signature that I'm listening to. I can easily save $299 every couple of years to splurge on a new set of mid-fi cans, which keeps me interested in the hobby and gives me something new to experience.

Saving, and more importantly, spending $1,000 + for just one set...that's where I think you run into seriously diminishing returns on your dollar. 

Again, just my thoughts as I've never heard really hi-fi stuff. Maybe if I did my tune would change. 

The thing is, HD800 is not clearly superior when it comes to enjoying music.
With some rock recordings DT880 is more engaging than HD800. With some piano recordings AKG K702 sounds more realistic to my ears. DT880 is airier than the T1. HD650 is lightweight and comfortable while LCD-3 is heavy. AKG K712 has extremely little distortion across the whole spectrum while PS1000 is terrible in that regard.

Each headphone has its own traits.

Dec 22, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #10,472 of 12,546

The thing is, HD800 is not clearly superior when it comes to enjoying music.
With some rock recordings DT880 is more engaging than HD800. With some piano recordings AKG K702 sounds more realistic to my ears. DT880 is airier than the T1. HD650 is lightweight and comfortable while LCD-3 is heavy. AKG K712 has extremely little distortion across the whole spectrum while PS1000 is terrible in that regard.

Each headphone has its own traits.

Ken Rockwell had some wild things to say about the dt880 favoring them to some real heavy hitters. He stated it was one of his favorites. I dont want to put too much of what he said as some might get offended :p

Things get repeated here, its the nature of the beast, but ofc all these cans have their pros and cons. A con for me is that the 880 is not a bass monster, but thats ok, because i can go to another can.

You need a few :p but the 880 is a great reliable tool

Dec 22, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #10,473 of 12,546

Ken Rockwell had some wild things to say about the dt880 favoring them to some real heavy hitters. He stated it was one of his favorites. I dont want to put too much of what he said as some might get offended :p

Things get repeated here, its the nature of the beast, but ofc all these cans have their pros and cons. A con for me is that the 880 is not a bass monster, but thats ok, because i can go to another can.

You need a few :p but the 880 is a great reliable tool

Yup. I have several other pairs of headphones (he400i, he400, HD6xx) but I keep coming back to the dt880's. They were my first mid-fi headphone and I'm glad that they were, because they are still my favorite.

Listen to some Zoe Keating on these and tell me you don't just get lost in the music.

Dec 22, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #10,477 of 12,546
Do you guys like the dt880 pro or premium more?

A few years ago when I bought my Pro (used), I thought I might dislike the coiled cable. Now I really like the "neatness" of it, while the Stax, Senn, etc. cables are all over the desktop. Just one of those little things.

Dec 26, 2016 at 4:27 AM Post #10,478 of 12,546
So I'm in love with my 250ohm DT-880's all over again today.  Got a Magni 2 Uber for Christmas and comparing the DT-880's on it vs. the built in headphone amp (supposedly capable to 600ohms) on my PC's motherboard, these things sound amazing all over again vs. anything I'd had before.  The DT-880's are my first "high end" cans.  The Magni got rid of some high end harshness that apparently was part of the sound character of the built in sound on my Asus motherboard.  

Dec 26, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #10,479 of 12,546
  So I'm in love with my 250ohm DT-880's all over again today.  Got a Magni 2 Uber for Christmas and comparing the DT-880's on it vs. the built in headphone amp (supposedly capable to 600ohms) on my PC's motherboard, these things sound amazing all over again vs. anything I'd had before.  The DT-880's are my first "high end" cans.  The Magni got rid of some high end harshness that apparently was part of the sound character of the built in sound on my Asus motherboard.  

Here's what i wish i could tell myself after the 880.250

Get a piggy bank (for one endgame flagship)

no more low-fi/mid-fi

find some other hobby in meantime
biggrin.gif

dont fall in mid fi booby trap

if its me, sz1k/2k, 880.250, z1r. leave hobby
biggrin.gif
(go to home/car audio) or other hobby
biggrin.gif

Dec 27, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #10,480 of 12,546
I wonder if anyone is using their DT880 with the pads being flatter than a new pair. As for mine, it sounds a bit muddy, there is a mid bass hump that veils the sound, and the high is not at all edgy like many reviews have stated. I recently put a pair of Takstar HI2050 velour pads (A chinese clone of DT880 that also borrows the Sennheiser oval shape) and the sound more exciting, mid and high are clearer, the bass hump is gone, albeit the soundstage is not as wide as before.

Dec 27, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #10,481 of 12,546
  I wonder if anyone is using their DT880 with the pads being flatter than a new pair. As for mine, it sounds a bit muddy, there is a mid bass hump that veils the sound, and the high is not at all edgy like many reviews have stated. I recently put a pair of Takstar HI2050 velour pads (A chinese clone of DT880 that also borrows the Sennheiser oval shape) and the sound more exciting, mid and high are clearer, the bass hump is gone, albeit the soundstage is not as wide as before.

Not currently, but I wore my first pair down after almost five years of constant use. They were pretty flat, and I'd probably be still using them if I hadn't been foolish enough to attempt to blow dry them after their annual cleaning (I was impatient and didn't want to wait hours for them to dry naturally). The pleather/vinyl/whatever it is rings that hold the pads onto the cups ended up shrinking so that they could no longer fit and I was forced to buy a new pair. When I put them on I was struck by just how markedly different it made the headphone sound from how I had gotten used to it being. Definitely a lot more mid treble and less midbass with the new pads.

Want to hear something truly weird? Try listening without any pads at all. The treble and bass disappear down a black hole.

Dec 27, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #10,482 of 12,546

Not currently, but I wore my first pair down after almost five years of constant use. They were pretty flat, and I'd probably be still using them if I hadn't been foolish enough to attempt to blow dry them after their annual cleaning (I was impatient and didn't want to wait hours for them to dry naturally). The pleather/vinyl/whatever it is rings that hold the pads onto the cups ended up shrinking so that they could no longer fit and I was forced to buy a new pair. When I put them on I was struck by just how markedly different it made the headphone sound from how I had gotten used to it being. Definitely a lot more mid treble and less midbass with the new pads.

Want to hear something truly weird? Try listening without any pads at all. The treble and bass disappear down a black hole.

The DT880 pad foam material is quite soft that, while being very comfortable, got flat pretty easily after a short time. I'm thinking of DIY the Takstar foam to the existing DT880 pad to breathe a new life into them. It seems to be quite difficult though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back