The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Dec 19, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #10,456 of 12,546
I have to say that I'm a newbie here. I've been reading threads in the forum for quite some time now, wow... its really like a whole new world for me. 

I recently got HD598 CS + Fiio e18 during black Friday and really like them a lot, currently using them in the office. So now I'm looking for another pair of headphones that are open-back to use at home. So just wondering for DT880 currently on sale at $ 149 and T90 at $259 on ebay which are really great deals!!

I want to ask is it worth it for a new guy like me who barely know much about headphones to go for T90 with an extra 100+ usd. T90 is no doubt a better cans compare to DT880 from what I read.  The question is can my ears hear the difference between these two cans since both are really good already? And are there that much different? (I mainly listen to classical music/ some pop + movies)   

Should I get T90 which consider one of the best cans and don't have to look to another pair again or get DT 880 and use for a while (couple of years) and get a different sound signature cans instead? Which one would be a better choice?  

Thank you in advance. 

I've got to say that the DT880 were my mainstay headphone for classical over the past 3 years - I've recently upgraded, but the DT880s are going nowhere as I still consider them damned good, and for the price - even full retail - they are a steal, and quite possibly the best value ever in terms of sound for pound (or dollar if you're that way inclined).

They are superb for classical, but some people may find them a bit strident in the upper registers for pop - no a fault of the headphones, but more a fault of how that genre of music is mixed and mastered these days. I have no personal experience of the T90, but at the price you've mentioned I would be sorely tempted to get them just to try out, but that's no recommendation, just my GAS talking :wink:

Be aware however that there will almost certainly be tonal differences between your existing Sennheisers and the Beyerdynamics. If I was to generalise Sennheiser tends to produce smooth, warm and relaxed headphones (Ther are obvious exceptons to this), whereas Beyerdynamic tend to produce relatively neutral headphones which could be described as detailed, but a touch cold (again there are obvious exceptions)

That said if you can get the DT880s for $150 then why not - it's a steal and it'll give you possibly two contrasting headphones without breaking the bank which will enable you to decide where you wan't to go should you ever want to upgrade further.

Dec 19, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #10,457 of 12,546
  I have to say that I'm a newbie here. I've been reading threads in the forum for quite some time now, wow... its really like a whole new world for me. 

I recently got HD598 CS + Fiio e18 during black Friday and really like them a lot, currently using them in the office. So now I'm looking for another pair of headphones that are open-back to use at home. So just wondering for DT880 currently on sale at $ 149 and T90 at $259 on ebay which are really great deals!!

I want to ask is it worth it for a new guy like me who barely know much about headphones to go for T90 with an extra 100+ usd. T90 is no doubt a better cans compare to DT880 from what I read.  The question is can my ears hear the difference between these two cans since both are really good already? And are there that much different? (I mainly listen to classical music/ some pop + movies)   

Should I get T90 which consider one of the best cans and don't have to look to another pair again or get DT 880 and use for a while (couple of years) and get a different sound signature cans instead? Which one would be a better choice?  

Thank you in advance. 

I am a newbie here also and been reading here a lot. From my experience even if you end up getting the T90s, don't think that then you won't have to look for another pair again.
I said to myself that I have all I need and I am done buying headphones, 6 months ago when I had bought the ATH-M50x and DT880 and I had the Playstation Gold for surround/gaming. Now i have the playstation ones for sale, I modded the 880s, the M50x are gone and I have 2 pairs of AKGs because my GF will leave me if I buy more headphones this year. 

Dec 19, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #10,458 of 12,546

Thank you in advance. 

Be aware however that there will almost certainly be tonal differences between your existing Sennheisers and the Beyerdynamics. If I was to generalise Sennheiser tends to produce smooth, warm and relaxed headphones (Ther are obvious exceptons to this), whereas Beyerdynamic tend to produce relatively neutral headphones which could be described as detailed, but a touch cold (again there are obvious exceptions)

I'm a classical listener as well and find the 880s a welcome neutral phone. I don't find the brightness some talk about in the highs but that is probably because I'm comparing them to my AKG K702s and my HD 650s.
Where the AKG could be argued that it has a high treble response and the Senns have a bit of a roll off in the highs.

Really glad I picked up the 880s, I find they got the middle neutral ground of my open cans.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Dec 20, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #10,459 of 12,546
After listening to both Sennheiser 6x0 and AKG 712 Pro, there is no reason at all to buy the AKGs.   The big sound stage comes at too great a cost - you get very poor quality mids that seem to be smeared, the imaging is pretty terrible, it feels like what a 640 x 480 image looks like when it's stretch out to 2560 x 1600.  This may be a strained metaphor but is exactly how I felt about the sound produced by the AKGs.

The Sennheisers are so weird, I would really want just one with the soundstage of a 650 but the imaging accuracy and mid clarity of of the 600.

Both have poor treble extension compared to neutral Beyerdynamics.  To be honest in some songs there was just music missing.

I think the Sennheiser 650 and 600 are put on a moderate synthetic pedestal. You get the same accurate imaging with a larger sound stage in the 880s with a fast, punchy clean bass.  When A/B ing both the Sennheiser's don't appease me in bass or treble.  Leaving the mids which are excellent on the 600 but honestly struggling to inadequate on the 650 based on the track you choose.  Weirdly sound stage extension crept upwards rather than outwards on the 650.

However if you own either the Sennheiser 600, 650 or Beyerdynamic 880 (250 or 600 ohm) you don't need either of the other 2 unless you have a lot of money to spend in which case buy a flagship, or a set of pleasure cans with a massive V shape or something interesting that suits your ears.

Dec 20, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #10,460 of 12,546
  After listening to both Sennheiser 6x0 and AKG 712 Pro, there is no reason at all to buy the AKGs.   The big sound stage comes at too great a cost - you get very poor quality mids that seem to be smeared, the imaging is pretty terrible, it feels like what a 640 x 480 image looks like when it's stretch out to 2560 x 1600.  This may be a strained metaphor but is exactly how I felt about the sound produced by the AKGs.

The Sennheisers are so weird, I would really want just one with the soundstage of a 650 but the imaging accuracy and mid clarity of of the 600.

Both have poor treble extension compared to neutral Beyerdynamics.  To be honest in some songs there was just music missing.

I think the Sennheiser 650 and 600 are put on a moderate synthetic pedestal. You get the same accurate imaging with a larger sound stage in the 880s with a fast, punchy clean bass.  When A/B ing both the Sennheiser's don't appease me in bass or treble.  Leaving the mids which are excellent on the 600 but honestly struggling to inadequate on the 650 based on the track you choose.  Weirdly sound stage extension crept upwards rather than outwards on the 650.

However if you own either the Sennheiser 600, 650 or Beyerdynamic 880 (250 or 600 ohm) you don't need either of the other 2 unless you have a lot of money to spend in which case buy a flagship, or a set of pleasure cans with a massive V shape or something interesting that suits your ears.

Keep in mind that your impressions are from someone very used to DT880 who suddenly pick HD600 and K712 for a while (short test). Our hearing is always comparing new things with a reference (DT880 in your case) and it can take quite a lot of time to 'change' the reference - might be 20 exclusive listening hours. In other words, getting used to the new sound presentation. That's why you'll find plenty of people in the HD600 thread saying DT880 is overly bright, while for you it's neutralish.

Not to dismiss your experience A/Bing these quality headphones, but things usually look different from different perspectives and that's something to consider as well.

Dec 20, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #10,461 of 12,546
Well said... I have the DT-880 Pro 250 but it had been sitting in a box at work where I tend to use my HD 600, and if I listen to the DT 880 right after the HD 600, they sound thin and not as full to my ears...

So I took the DT 880 home a few days ago and yesterday did a long listening session with them, a few days removed from ever having listened to the HD 600, but having just taken off my Urbanite XL from the bus trip home, and at first they sounded a little thinner than the Urbanites but also the clarity and soundstage were immediately sensed as superior on the DT 880 and after a couple of songs they also no longer sounded thin, but full and with punchy bass even.

I've come to realize that many of my headphones which sound "right" and excellent to my ears can make other headphones with sufficiently different sound signature, sound "wrong" for a while until my brain adjusts.

If it's a signature my brain is used to, it will usually sound immediately good to my ears if I haven't very recently (maybe as short as a minute or two at most) had another different sound as my reference sound which sets my expectations.

I just took off the HD 600 at work about 15 minutes ago and enjoyed them immensely but I'm betting when I get home here in 15 minutes and put on the DT 880's, they will still sound like bliss to my ears - enough time between them clear my palate so to speak.

Keep in mind that your impressions are from someone very used to DT880 who suddenly pick HD600 and K712 for a while (short test). Our hearing is always comparing new things with a reference (DT880 in your case) and it can take quite a lot of time to 'change' the reference - might be 20 exclusive listening hours. In other words, getting used to the new sound presentation. That's why you'll find plenty of people in the HD600 thread saying DT880 is overly bright, while for you it's neutralish.

Not to dismiss your experience A/Bing these quality headphones, but things usually look different from different perspectives and that's something to consider as well.

Dec 20, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #10,462 of 12,546
Well said... I have the DT-880 Pro 250 but it had been sitting in a box at work where I tend to use my HD 600, and if I listen to the DT 880 right after the HD 600, they sound thin and not as full to my ears...

So I took the DT 880 home a few days ago and yesterday did a long listening session with them, a few days removed from ever having listened to the HD 600, but having just taken off my Urbanite XL from the bus trip home, and at first they sounded a little thinner than the Urbanites but also the clarity and soundstage were immediately sensed as superior on the DT 880 and after a couple of songs they also no longer sounded thin, but full and with punchy bass even.

I've come to realize that many of my headphones which sound "right" and excellent to my ears can make other headphones with sufficiently different sound signature, sound "wrong" for a while until my brain adjusts.

If it's a signature my brain is used to, it will usually sound immediately good to my ears if I haven't very recently (maybe as short as a minute or two at most) had another different sound as my reference sound which sets my expectations.

I just took off the HD 600 at work about 15 minutes ago and enjoyed them immensely but I'm betting when I get home here in 15 minutes and put on the DT 880's, they will still sound like bliss to my ears - enough time between them clear my palate so to speak.

"Listener burn-in" is real, though some like to deny it. That doesn't mean we will think a really bad can sounds good, no matter how long we listen to it. But these mid-priced cans are "classics" becuase they don't make any "big" mistakes.

Your style (listening to music for tens of minutes) is how we really learn about whether a can has the traits we value -- timbre, touch, attack, instruments in real space. Far more valuable than the standard quickie a/b "bass/treble" comparisons.

Dec 20, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #10,463 of 12,546
I thoroughly enjoy my DT880s for classical (listening to Brahms on them at this moment---see below).  I do find them a touch bright and sometimes think I should give HD600s a shot if that means a little bit less treble. That said, they are terrific headphones. Remarkable detail and oomph when it's called for. 

:    )

Dec 20, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #10,464 of 12,546

You're absolutely correct.

Yeah you make a good point and I considered that during the a/b, like what would the person who's only ever listened to the 600 say about the 650, the K712 and 880s.  I'd imagine they would say immediately with the 650 that mid imaging and clarity is reduce to get a bit of sound stage.  The AKG's sound stage would be amazing to them but the mids would sound terrible.  The 880s would sound like they have recessed mids and sounded metallic (so that brightness you speak of) and with soundstage a little big bigger than the 650.

That's very true if indeed I only ever listened to Beyerdynamics however I listen to some neutral IEMs (Etymotic ER4) which are incredibly neutral and revealing (to my ears).  I use the IEMs 50% of the time and they do match up with how much I hear in the Beyers however there are points ins some songs where the treble extends further (or higher peaks which seem to really pop in rock songs when mixed with mids and heavy bass). However the Beyers would also have a more interesting thing going on with bass.  Weirdly the soundstage of the Sennheiser 600's was narrower than the Etymotics (however I can't say this for sure as these weren't being tested.

Anyhow I was about to buy Sennheiser 600 at that point and then just couldn't after listening to more HiFi cans.

Dec 20, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #10,465 of 12,546
  You're absolutely correct.

Yeah you make a good point and I considered that during the a/b, like what would the person who's only ever listened to the 600 say about the 650, the K712 and 880s.  I'd imagine they would say immediately with the 650 that mid imaging and clarity is reduce to get a bit of sound stage.  The AKG's sound stage would be amazing to them but the mids would sound terrible.  The 880s would sound like they have recessed mids and sounded metallic (so that brightness you speak of) and with soundstage a little big bigger than the 650.

That's very true if indeed I only ever listened to Beyerdynamics however I listen to some neutral IEMs (Etymotic ER4) which are incredibly neutral and revealing (to my ears).  I use the IEMs 50% of the time and they do match up with how much I hear in the Beyers however there are points ins some songs where the treble extends further (or higher peaks which seem to really pop in rock songs when mixed with mids and heavy bass). However the Beyers would also have a more interesting thing going on with bass.  Weirdly the soundstage of the Sennheiser 600's was narrower than the Etymotics (however I can't say this for sure as these weren't being tested.

Anyhow I was about to buy Sennheiser 600 at that point and then just couldn't after listening to more HiFi cans.

It's hard to justify spending money for peer headphones (i.e. getting a HD600 when one already has a DT880), when one is not clearly superior to the other. One is simply different from the other. Shades of color. I suppose if one had lots of money, it would be fun simply for the sake of trying something new.  I would if I could. Now there are cans that are, I presume, significantly better, but that would take a lot more money.

I'd still like to give the HD600 a go simply because it's regarded by so many as a bench mark, a broadly expected point of comparison. I'm guessing one would learn a lot by comparing it with the DT880s as well as other cans to get a better idea of one's personal sound signature preferences.

Dec 21, 2016 at 4:55 AM Post #10,466 of 12,546
Thank you for the advice, you guys help a lot. I will get DT880 then. It's already more than good enough for me :) 

Quote:

Should I get T90 which consider one of the best cans and don't have to look for another pair again or get DT 880 and use for a while (couple of years) and get a different sound signature cans instead? Which one would be a better choice?  

Thank you in advance. 

Dec 21, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #10,467 of 12,546
I"ve been putting a lot of thought recently into the differences between my 770s and 880s, and it occurred to me that one difference was that the 770s are kinder to music that's not the best quality such as the stuff I often listen to on YouTube.  It makes that music sound great. The 880s, less so. On the other hand, when I switch over to high-quality, high-res files, that's when the 880s shine. I noticed that last night with the 880s by A/Bing youtube tracks with the exact same recording ripped from a CD. The 880 enabled me to savor the difference.

Dec 21, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #10,468 of 12,546
  I"ve been putting a lot of thought recently into the differences between my 770s and 880s, and it occurred to me that one difference was that the 770s are kinder to music that's not the best quality such as the stuff I often listen to on YouTube.  It makes that music sound great. The 880s, less so. On the other hand, when I switch over to high-quality, high-res files, that's when the 880s shine. I noticed that last night with the 880s by A/Bing youtube tracks with the exact same recording ripped from a CD. The 880 enabled me to savor the difference.

S.I.A. 'a old albums sound soooo good on the 770.80
biggrin.gif
always impressed by its impressive imaging and sounstage (relative to its price/competition)
880s are to me, 'TO ME' , mid-fi end game. I think if you score a 880 (250/600) there is no need to explore mid-fi levels unlessofc you have paper to burn or just an explorer of this hobby.
Ofc one can nitpick any can to death, but with a little juice, this thing sparkles like the lights on my Christmas tree.

Dec 21, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #10,469 of 12,546
I might try the HD600. :p

How much do you guys reckon I can sell a classic 80s DT880 600ohms for in mint condition with fairly new earpads and headpad? I don't even know if it is considered a collectible

Dec 22, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #10,470 of 12,546

It's hard to justify spending money for peer headphones (i.e. getting a HD600 when one already has a DT880), when one is not clearly superior to the other. One is simply different from the other. Shades of color. I suppose if one had lots of money, it would be fun simply for the sake of trying something new.  I would if I could. Now there are cans that are, I presume, significantly better, but that would take a lot more money.

I'd still like to give the HD600 a go simply because it's regarded by so many as a bench mark, a broadly expected point of comparison. I'm guessing one would learn a lot by comparing it with the DT880s as well as other cans to get a better idea of one's personal sound signature preferences.

I don't know. I guess I think of this differently. I think if you have tons of money to burn then you go straight to hi-fi and buy HE6, HD800(s), T1, LCD-3, PS-1000 etc. and amps/DAC's that cost thousands. 

Buying in the mid-fi range makes way more sense to me. Maybe it's because I've never heard hi-fi headphones, and definitely not a summit-fi set. In my mind, for $299 or less I've been able to buy each of my current headphones and drastically alter the sound signature that I'm listening to. I can easily save $299 every couple of years to splurge on a new set of mid-fi cans, which keeps me interested in the hobby and gives me something new to experience.

Saving, and more importantly, spending $1,000 + for just one set...that's where I think you run into seriously diminishing returns on your dollar. 

Again, just my thoughts as I've never heard really hi-fi stuff. Maybe if I did my tune would change. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back