The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
May 16, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #10,201 of 12,548
I briefly tried the DT880 600 ohms and I absolutely loved their sound. Extremely quick, limitless but not overtly sharp treble, punchy bass without bleeding into vocals, etc. However, my head is huge and on the maximum settings, they just didn't fit my head. On one side, the earcup would just touch my ear rather than surround it. I felt very disheartened. The DT880 are exactly what I'm looking for but unfortunately they're just a little too small for my big head. Any oval pads up for sale without sacrificing sound? :frowning2:

I don't know about the Premium version, but if you get the Pro version, you can simply take off the headband padding, snip off the metal headband in the middle, add some two extra strips of metal of the right length, weld it together and create your own DT880 with XL headbands. :wink:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 16, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #10,202 of 12,548
I don't know about the Premium version, but if you get the Pro version, you can simply take off the headband padding, snip off the metal headband in the middle, add some two extra strips of metal of the right length, weld it together and create your own DT880 with XL headbands. :wink:

Unfortunately, I can't weld, haha. I might try stretching out the HM5 velour pads.

May 16, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #10,203 of 12,548
Unfortunately, I can't weld, haha. I might try stretching out the HM5 velour pads.

Don't waste your time...

My post from 2014 about the HM5 Velours.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/429371/the-beyerdynamic-dt880-discussion-thread/7875#post_10770909

These are the New Brainwavz Thick HM5 Velour pads on the DT880's, very plush and soft but they alter the sound drastically buy making the bass very boomy and removing most of the treble.

If you look at the bottom of the DT880 pads you will see that they are vented with holes all the way around which provides the some of the sound characteristics of these headphones, so my recommendation is if you want to keep the stock beyerdynamic sound then to go with the proper pads even though they are expensive.

German Maestro makes a fully vented Velour pad as well for the GMP 8.3 series that would fit perfectly on the DT880's. I haven't tried those since they are around the same price as the beyer pads. Link to the GMP Pads.

May 16, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #10,204 of 12,548
I briefly tried the DT880 600 ohms and I absolutely loved their sound. Extremely quick, limitless but not overtly sharp treble, punchy bass without bleeding into vocals, etc. However, my head is huge and on the maximum settings, they just didn't fit my head. On one side, the earcup would just touch my ear rather than surround it. I felt very disheartened. The DT880 are exactly what I'm looking for but unfortunately they're just a little too small for my big head. Any oval pads up for sale without sacrificing sound?
frown.gif

The neat thing about the beyerdynamic DT line is they are round so the headband can even be used as a neck band if on head use is uncomfortable; cannot imagine the snip and weld soulution

May 17, 2016 at 6:26 AM Post #10,205 of 12,548
I finally got these headphones, I have chosen the 250 ohm (premium version), cause I was a little bit worried about the difficult and the cost to amplify the 600 ohm version. I am going to use them with a Teac ud-h01 (both dad and amplifier).

I am not an expert, so I don't have the ears or the knowledge to make technical analysises. First impression, they are incredibly comfortable, wow.
I worried about the side strips (the ones that you can use to regulate the length, sorry, my English is not perfect, I hope you got it), because I am scared I can break them (they seems the most fragile part of the headphones,the rest seems quite solid). Is it ever happened to anyone?

Last question, I don't remember the burn in time. Could you please tell me? Thank you!

May 17, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #10,206 of 12,548

Don't waste your time...

My post from 2014 about the HM5 Velours.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/429371/the-beyerdynamic-dt880-discussion-thread/7875#post_10770909

These are the New Brainwavz Thick HM5 Velour pads on the DT880's, very plush and soft but they alter the sound drastically buy making the bass very boomy and removing most of the treble.

If you look at the bottom of the DT880 pads you will see that they are vented with holes all the way around which provides the some of the sound characteristics of these headphones, so my recommendation is if you want to keep the stock beyerdynamic sound then to go with the proper pads even though they are expensive.

German Maestro makes a fully vented Velour pad as well for the GMP 8.3 series that would fit perfectly on the DT880's. I haven't tried those since they are around the same price as the beyer pads. Link to the GMP Pads.

"Deep" pads totally change the sound, introduce resonances, etc. I remember buying super thick pleather pads for a HiFiMAN HE-400 I had, and while it helped smooth out treble and extended the bass, it introduced this strange resonance that sounded like putting a portable speaker in a glass cup, or holding a wah-wah guitar pedal in one spot.

May 25, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #10,207 of 12,548
Has anybody tried DT880 Premium 600 ohms with Audeze Deckard?  Please comment on your experience, if any. 

May 25, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #10,208 of 12,548
i have tried the DT880 Premium 600 ohms with JDS Labs Element, haven't tried it for a long period of time

seems it said in a review the deckard was better for 250 ohms or less, still that was his thoughts

May 27, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #10,209 of 12,548
Hi
Can it remove the pad(In Photo)?
Sound Stage more?
The negative impact on the bass sound?
Thanks

dt880

http://www.head-fi.org/content/type/61/id/107946/width/625/height/500/flags/ZC

dt990(Not pad)

http://www.head-fi.org/content/type/61/id/66886/width/637/height/500

May 29, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #10,210 of 12,548
  Hi
Can it remove the pad(In Photo)?
Sound Stage more?
The negative impact on the bass sound?
Thanks

dt880

http://www.head-fi.org/content/type/61/id/107946/width/625/height/500/flags/ZC

dt990(Not pad)

http://www.head-fi.org/content/type/61/id/66886/width/637/height/500

Nobody knows? Or removing the pad inside the cup?

May 29, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #10,211 of 12,548
  Nobody knows? Or removing the pad inside the cup?

Given the expensive price of replacement beyerdynamic drivers, I doubt you will find an answer to your questions.
I don't know anyone who has cut the filters off the drivers. If you have the DT880's then get a pair of DT990's or vise versa.

Jun 4, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #10,212 of 12,548
Finally posted my review of the DT 880 Pro 250Ohm. I did a complete comparison with the others in my collection.

Loving it with my TEAC UD-H01 and Schiit Valhala.

Jun 4, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #10,214 of 12,548
  Finally posted my review of the DT 880 Pro 250Ohm. I did a complete comparison with the others in my collection.

Appreciate the time taken to make and post a review especially with several of the same HPs I have.

Like you I heavily favor the beyerdynamic house which has finally been dominated with a T1.

Most recently I picked up a set of Fostex T50RP mk3 planars and find myself reaching for them frequently.... absolutely amazing for the price which gets them below $100 with their $50 rebate.  Hard to believe they compete with the much more expensive models.

I have not experienced any of the Schiit line.  Your comments on the Valhalla make me want to try one especially if it make the HD600 a standout.  I must admit though that I have never been fond of tubes that produce lots of heat and take a bit of time to warm up.

Jun 4, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #10,215 of 12,548
  Appreciate the time taken to make and post a review especially with several of the same HPs I have.

Like you I heavily favor the beyerdynamic house which has finally been dominated with a T1.

Most recently I picked up a set of Fostex T50RP mk3 planars and find myself reaching for them frequently.... absolutely amazing for the price which gets them below $100 with their $50 rebate.  Hard to believe they compete with the much more expensive models.

I have not experienced any of the Schiit line.  Your comments on the Valhalla make me want to try one especially if it make the HD600 a standout.  I must admit though that I have never been fond of tubes that produce lots of heat and take a bit of time to warm up.

I would generally not recommend tubes. They are definitely less efficient and require a bit of care and maintenance. Not for the faint of heart. The results people get with tubes also vary greatly because tubes can sound quite unique. It becomes an issue of amp and headphone pairing, and the sound signature preferences of the individual. Even the Schiit Asgard 2 solid state gets really warm. Any good high power class A amp will get hot. The warm up time is a non issue really, like 30 seconds. The main disadvantage of tubes is the high output impedance, making them good on higher impedance headphones only. Not a big deal for me since nearly all of my HPs are 150+Ohm. The issue of higher SNR aka distortion on tubes is only an issue on cheaper sub $150 amps. The good ones are well over 98db SNR. The tubes themselves are not the only factor in the design which can introduce noise. If you pick the right amp and tubes you can get a very neutral sound signature too. Not all tubes are "warm", the valhala is a good example. Tubes also tend to have more output power, especially at high impedances. The better tube amps I find are more resolving, transparent, and significantly more powerful than solid states. I mean look at the $50,000 Senheiser Orpheus, they decided to use tubes for a reason.

I do think tubes work wonders with the HD600 in particular though. Especially the cleaner and more neutral ones like the valhala. In terms of the noise floor, my solid states are quieter for sure. But when you consider how much more power the tubes deliver the added noise becomes a non issue at those volumes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back