The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Apr 5, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #10,096 of 12,546
FiiO E10K has enough power for DT880 250 Ohm, and unless you listen to music at very loud levels it has enough power for the 600 Ohm version as well.
Recordings play an important role here, really shy recordings can make you switch from (3 - Low gain) to (5 - high gain) but it's a small minority of the recordings anyway.

The underpowered = thin sounding is not true

Underpowered means severe distortion, and it's not the case with E10K.
E10K can be a bit on the lean side of things but that has nthing to do with its output power.

You'll find much more powerful DAC/amplifiers that are similarly bright, brighter and/or lighter in the bass.
You'll find similarly powerful or even less powerful DAC/amplifiers that are slightly warmer and darker.

Extra, unused power makes nothing to the sound.

Apr 8, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #10,097 of 12,546
hi everyone!! my first post here... i am an aspiring music producer and i have decided on buying the beyer dt 880 pro 250 ohms as i have been reading a lot for a week now about headphones and they are i think best suited to my needs with a good flat frequency response.. what i am a little confused is about the amp part of whether to buy the jds or mayflower o2 dac amp combo... my main purpose in buyin the headphone and dis particular amp is so that i can have the flattest sound possible so when its reproduced elsewhere even on bad equipment it should sound good(it obviously wont) but it should sound professional.. mmmh looking for proper refrence sound equipment for an affordable price... i understand that the circuitry is the same for both and its just the design and both sound the same.. and jds has engraving and things(btw i have access to one engraving router) but i am in the search for refrence sound that truly translate onto any speakers as it was intended.. definately using speaker monitors is better as it gives a better representation when sound gets mixed in air.. but i would be using the headphones more frequently and jus checking my mix on the speakers once in a while... hope you guys help me in my endeavour in the best way possible.. thank you

Apr 8, 2016 at 7:30 AM Post #10,098 of 12,546
hi everyone!! my first post here... i am an aspiring music producer and i have decided on buying the beyer dt 880 pro 250 ohms as i have been reading a lot for a week now about headphones and they are i think best suited to my needs with a good flat frequency response.. what i am a little confused is about the amp part of whether to buy the jds or mayflower o2 dac amp combo... my main purpose in buyin the headphone and dis particular amp is so that i can have the flattest sound possible so when its reproduced elsewhere even on bad equipment it should sound good(it obviously wont) but it should sound professional.. mmmh looking for proper refrence sound equipment for an affordable price... i understand that the circuitry is the same for both and its just the design and both sound the same.. and jds has engraving and things(btw i have access to one engraving router) but i am in the search for refrence sound that truly translate onto any speakers as it was intended.. definately using speaker monitors is better as it gives a better representation when sound gets mixed in air.. but i would be using the headphones more frequently and jus checking my mix on the speakers once in a while... hope you guys help me in my endeavour in the best way possible.. thank you

What genre of music will you be producing?

I use the DT880s for production, but really only to track down problems in the mix such as unwanted harmonics and overlapping frequencies. I find them otherwise somewhat sharp and lacking in bass for the kind of music I produce (They are however fantastic for classical and acoustic), and this might lead you to over compensate in the treble and bass areas.

I generally find having a reference mix on hand to be extremely useful. Basically a reference mix is a piece of music in the same genre as you're producing that you already know works well on a variety of headphones and speakers which can compare your mix against to ensure that they are tonally similar.

As for the amp, well if the primary purpose of these headphones is for production then I'd recommend at first getting an audio interface instead of a dedicated headphone amp and dac as an audio interface will also have outputs for active monitors should you decide you need them - which eventually you will. While yes a dedictated desktop dac and amp may well have the edge over an audio interface in terms of total quality there really isn't that much in it with regards to production. I use a UR22 which drives the DT880 pros fine and sounds great.

Apr 8, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #10,099 of 12,546
well i am looking at dubstep, electro house, trance.. maybe blend and create something totally new.. i dont have a particular genre in mind but i like dubsteps growls screams electros drops n trances feel.. and yes i did think of the ur22.. just that i dont know if i would use the inputs.. and also dint kno if it will drive the 880.. ur22 would be nice as i have an electric guitar.. my main concern is that the mix should translate well onto speakers...

Apr 8, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #10,100 of 12,546
well i am looking at dubstep, electro house, trance.. maybe blend and create something totally new.. i dont have a particular genre in mind but i like dubsteps growls screams electros drops n trances feel.. and yes i did think of the ur22.. just that i dont know if i would use the inputs.. and also dint kno if it will drive the 880.. ur22 would be nice as i have an electric guitar.. my main concern is that the mix should translate well onto speakers...

If this were about just listening pleasure, I'd point you to the X2s because of the bass.  If it were just about accuracy, the HD600s. The DT880s might represent something of a happy medium between the two: i.e. not as "fun" as the X2 but not as purely neutral as the HD600s. Close, but not quite.

I've never listened to the HD600s, so I am just going by what I've read. It seems that the DT880s are close to the HD600 on the neutrality v. colored spectrum but that the HD600 remains the gold standard for reference headphone.

Apr 8, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #10,101 of 12,546
well hd 600 would really push me on my budget but its on my mind, n i don think ur22 can drive 300 ohms.. i definately will buy the hd600 but i am confused over the dacamp.. which then il have to buy later.. kindly suggest

Apr 8, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #10,102 of 12,546
Hi everyone, this is my first post on head-fi (although I've used the site as an information source for a longer time). Recently, my DT880's started to produce a bit of a buzzing sound on one side. The sound is a bit like something inside the headphone is vibrating against something else, that's the best I can describe it. I can't remember a specific moment when it started or if something happened to the headphones, but it's obviously very annoying. I have already opened them up to take a look, but there isn't anything visibly wrong with the speaker. I also can't see anything that can vibrate in the way I described above. I am wondering if it would be the best to just replace the speaker(s), and what it takes to do so. Are there official replacement parts available somewhere? I assume the only thing one needs to be able to do is solder?

Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.

Apr 8, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #10,103 of 12,546
  If this were about just listening pleasure, I'd point you to the X2s because of the bass.  If it were just about accuracy, the HD600s. The DT880s might represent something of a happy medium between the two: i.e. not as "fun" as the X2 but not as purely neutral as the HD600s. Close, but not quite.

I've never listened to the HD600s, so I am just going by what I've read. It seems that the DT880s are close to the HD600 on the neutrality v. colored spectrum but that the HD600 remains the gold standard for reference headphone.

Hi, quite interested with what you said when comapring these with X2s and HD600s. I've just returned Grado sr80es which hurt my ears they were that bright, and then the AKG k500s which were very boring even though had a ton of resolution and accuracy but a complete lack of bass.

I'm looking for a fun pair and was looking at DT770, DT880 and SONY MDR range. Do the 880s still provide decently clear MIDS or are they quite muddled?

Apr 8, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #10,104 of 12,546

Please don't provide recommendations on headphones based on "what you've read". Your interpretation of the sound signature will surely vary one way or another from others', thereby rendering your statements misleading. 

Anyway as to the HD600 vs DT880 in terms of neutrality argument, I'd say that the HD600 does present music in a more life-like, natural way. However I find the DT880's to be the more neutral headphone. I'd also imagine the DT880 having an edge in music production due to its better extension at both ends than the HD600. 

Apr 9, 2016 at 5:04 AM Post #10,105 of 12,546
  Hi everyone, this is my first post on head-fi (although I've used the site as an information source for a longer time). Recently, my DT880's started to produce a bit of a buzzing sound on one side. The sound is a bit like something inside the headphone is vibrating against something else, that's the best I can describe it. I can't remember a specific moment when it started or if something happened to the headphones, but it's obviously very annoying. I have already opened them up to take a look, but there isn't anything visibly wrong with the speaker. I also can't see anything that can vibrate in the way I described above. I am wondering if it would be the best to just replace the speaker(s), and what it takes to do so. Are there official replacement parts available somewhere? I assume the only thing one needs to be able to do is solder?

Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.

Doublecheck for hair, one small piece of hair can do that.

Apr 9, 2016 at 5:20 AM Post #10,106 of 12,546
thats what i think as well about the dt880..as some of the producers do recommend them like afrojack and some others too.. will the ur22 be enough to drive them is a concern and how well will they translate to speakers is what worries me.. can anybody tell me the output impedance of the ur22 headphone jack and whats bit rate it will output at..

Apr 9, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #10,107 of 12,546

You can use them for producing music, no problem. I can say that DT880s do have flat signature, with emphasis on highs. And i can say mids are a little bit recessed but for me, in my opinion dt880 is very close to being completely flat.
Btw i have to mention that you should get a consumer headphone too for checking what will avarage consumer hear and fix possible problems that will occur with avarage headphones.( By consumer headphone i mean v shaped, or bass emphasized headphone.)

Apr 9, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #10,109 of 12,546
dat is it.. 880 decided and confirmed.. that leaves me wondering over the amp now.. ur22 or o2 dac combo.. suggestions plz

If you are going to get a DT880, i recommend 600ohm version. If i remember correctly O2 do have enough power for 600ohm DT880s. And ODAC is considered really good for its price. It do have flat response (as it should be) so you can get O2+ODAC combo in my opinion.

Apr 9, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #10,110 of 12,546
Just purchased a Cayin C5 for use with my full size headphones. The 880/250 pairs well with the cayin to these ears. Also got the mojo but have been enjoying the cayin/880 combo I just dont want to stop listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back