The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Jan 24, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #9,706 of 12,548
600's, t1's, 880's. It doesn't take much more on the volume of any of my amps to drive these. I even had the vali1 last year and half max was unbearable. Are you using a laptop? The music player on p/c has to be set to full volume, then use external amp to adjust it.

Oh! I was saying that the Magni V1 wasn't strong enough to drive my K612's! I haven't received my DT 880's yet! I'm glad to know that the Vali can drive the 880's though. In theory, I should have nothing to worry about then.

Jan 24, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #9,707 of 12,548
  I have an audio interface. Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. I've read that the K612's are waaaay more insensitive than the K702, and even more than the HD600, but I'm not really sure how the 600's compare to the T1's.

That's plain wrong.

K612 needs 0,35V RMS for 90dB SPL
K702 needs 0.32V RMS for 90dB SPL
DT880/250 needs 0.30V RMS for 90dB SPL

HD600 is a tiny bit easier to drive since it needs 0.23V RMS for 90dB SPL but it's still really close in the big scheme of things.

The Beyer T1 is a tiny bit harder to drive (0.40V RMS or so) still close anyway.

Magni 1 drives them all with ease.

Something's probably wrong in your chain.
If I were you I would start trying the Magni with a different source.
Hook the Magni to a CD Player if you have one of those around.
Change things, try everything from a different computer, you know...

Jan 24, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #9,708 of 12,548
That's plain wrong.

HD600 is a tiny bit easier to drive since it needs 0.23V RMS for 90dB SPL but it's still really close in the big scheme of things.

The Beyer T1 is a tiny bit harder to drive (0.40V RMS or so) still close anyway.

I totally agree. Most amps these days can drive most of these phones fairly easy. Even quite a few planar's. With the exception of the he-6

Jan 24, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #9,709 of 12,548
I totally agree. Most amps these days can drive most of these phones fairly easy. Even quite a few planar's. With the exception of the he-6

Hooked it up to my two laptops and my few MP3 players, and it still had the same problem. I lowered the volume nob at 3 just in case, hooked it up to my cheapo $30 CD boombox from Walmart and it scared the hell out of me. Around 1 O'clock is damn loud. Subs aren't distorting. They sound AMAZING! But I find it hard believing that all of my other sources are messed up.... Now I'm REALLY confused...
confused_face(1).gif

Jan 24, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #9,710 of 12,548
  That's plain wrong.

Hook the Magni to a CD Player if you have one of those around.

Hooked it up to my two laptops and my few MP3 players, and it still had the same problem. Then I hooked it up to my cheapo $30 CD boombox from Walmart, lowered the volume nob at 3 just in case and it scared the hell out of me. Around 1 O'clock is damn loud. 2 is the sweet spot~ Subs aren't distorting. They sound AMAZING! Like Heaven on my ears! But I find it hard to believe that all of my other sources are compromised... Now I'm really confused! 
confused_face_2.gif

Jan 24, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #9,711 of 12,548
  Hooked it up to my two laptops and my few MP3 players, and it still had the same problem. Then I hooked it up to my cheapo $30 CD boombox from Walmart, lowered the volume nob at 3 just in case and it scared the hell out of me. Around 1 O'clock is damn loud. 2 is the sweet spot~ Subs aren't distorting. They sound AMAZING! Like Heaven on my ears! But I find it hard to believe that all of my other sources are compromised... Now I'm really confused! 
confused_face_2.gif

Now we are talking! 
That's good news, the Magni seems fine then.

Now, let's try to figure out what's going on with your Laptops.

1) Are you using Foobar2000 with maxed out volume? (That's 0.00dB)

2) Is the Windows volume at 100% as well?

3) Have you tried it with and without the Scarlett?

Jan 25, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #9,712 of 12,548
When you say that an amp is enough to drive headphones, are we talking straight up loudness? 'Cause that's so ridiculous to me as I'm sitting here never going over 5/10 windows volume on just Asus Xonar DX, WITHOUT an amp.

In fact the last few days I haven't been using Bravo Audio Ocean tube amp at all and my DT880 Pro never sounded better. It wasn't so obvious before with DT770, but DT880 brings out everything to broad daylight. With stock tube all it would do is make sound more congested. It would add a lot of distortion and crossfeed between left and right channel. Atrocious.
With another tube I have here there is no distortion, sound is pretty clean but it adds a lot of air and it sounds absolutely horrendous with DT880.

Maybe I need to try to get some different tubes, but is it even worth it? There's plenty of headroom volume-wise without an amp. :/

Jan 25, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #9,713 of 12,548
Well, a sound card is technically a DAC/amp.
It honestly depends on your listening level.
I don't listen to more than ~80 dB and a measly E10K on low gain at 3/8 volume is sufficient for the 600 Ω.
I even need to set the volume on foobar at -3 or -6 dB on some songs.

Jan 25, 2016 at 4:28 AM Post #9,714 of 12,548
  Now we are talking! 
That's good news, the Magni seems fine then.

Now, let's try to figure out what's going on with your Laptops.

1) Are you using Foobar2000 with maxed out volume? (That's 0.00dB)

2) Is the Windows volume at 100% as well?

3) Have you tried it with and without the Scarlett?

I have two laptops, a netbook and a desktop. My desktop is my main. Anyway, nothing seems to change, but Foobar is irrelevant because I'm using it to make music, not rock out in Foobar, though that software DOES make the music a little louder than my other software. Windows volume of course, is 100% and without the Scarlett, the volume doesn't change.

From this point on, REGARDLESS of specs, I'm going to say that the Magni does not drive the K612's with ease at all. I own both, so unless someone also owns this combo, I don't want to read shoulda', coulda', woulda'. Yes, my CD player makes them loud as **** , but so does my Receiver. It seems the output of the CD player is muuuuuuuch greater than my AI and headphone out on my case and motherboard. So that means if I can get a stronger amp, like a Matrix M-Stage, I should have no problems.

But just so we can be on the same page, here's a link to a song. I have to turn my My magni all the way up for it to be at a slightly lower than comfortable level. The kick slightly flutters the mid range. With my Receiver, I can match the Magni at 1:30, but the kick flutter is still there, just not as bad. That shows me that my Receiver is stronger than my Magni, and I would benefit from a stronger amp, or we can go the route of saying this while time, Schiit had sent me a bad Magni, which I highly doubt.

Jan 25, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #9,715 of 12,548
When you say that an amp is enough to drive headphones, are we talking straight up loudness? 'Cause that's so ridiculous to me as I'm sitting here never going over 5/10 windows volume on just Asus Xonar DX, WITHOUT an amp.

In fact the last few days I haven't been using Bravo Audio Ocean tube amp at all and my DT880 Pro never sounded better. It wasn't so obvious before with DT770, but DT880 brings out everything to broad daylight. With stock tube all it would do is make sound more congested. It would add a lot of distortion and crossfeed between left and right channel. Atrocious.
With another tube I have here there is no distortion, sound is pretty clean but it adds a lot of air and it sounds absolutely horrendous with DT880.

Maybe I need to try to get some different tubes, but is it even worth it? There's plenty of headroom volume-wise without an amp. :/

Proper amping has nothing to do with volume. A phone can play louder then you should be listening. It's about matching impedance. When it's right, the cans open up and are much fuller sounding. This is why something like the crack amp is a good match for 600 ohm 880s. And why the bravo isn't.

Jan 25, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #9,716 of 12,548
  But just so we can be on the same page, here's a link to a song. I have to turn my My magni all the way up for it to be at a slightly lower than comfortable level. The kick slightly flutters the mid range. With my Receiver, I can match the Magni at 1:30, but the kick flutter is still there, just not as bad. That shows me that my Receiver is stronger than my Magni, and I would benefit from a stronger amp, or we can go the route of saying this while time, Schiit had sent me a bad Magni, which I highly doubt.

Thank you for the link.  I listened to the music with my O2 and bass-modded Q701.  Please consider whether you are damaging your hearing by listening to music at the volumes you are describing.

Jan 25, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #9,717 of 12,548
Thank you for the link.  I listened to the music with my O2 and bass-modded Q701.  Please consider whether you are damaging your hearing by listening to music at the volumes you are describing.
Yes, I totally agree to this, on all my amps at noon is pretty much unbearable listening, even with my hard to drive planar's. Long term listening at levels will damage hearing.

Jan 25, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #9,718 of 12,548

Q701's are not K612's, and the O2 is not a Magni V1, sir. The volume isn't anywhere near ear killing, and I mix music around -20 RMS. Due to no headroom, it sound like I have my computer on 40% volume. Absolutely unacceptable for my purposes. As I had said, my receiver does much better, but it still has that flutter.

Jan 25, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #9,719 of 12,548
Q701's are not K612's, and the O2 is not a Magni V1, sir. The volume isn't anywhere near ear killing, and I mix music around -20 RMS. Due to no headroom, it sound like I have my computer on 40% volume. Absolutely unacceptable for my purposes. As I had said, my receiver does much better, but it still has that flutter.
Actually, the magni v1 is actually more powerful than the o2. At 600 ohm magni puts out 230mw, compared to the 02 at just 88mw. That's what so alarming, the magni could drive my 600ohm 880's or t1's to ear bleeding levels.

Jan 25, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #9,720 of 12,548
Actually, the magni v1 is actually more powerful than the o2. At 600 ohm magni puts out 230mw, compared to the 02 at just 88mw. That's what so alarming, the magni could drive my 600ohm 880's or t1's to ear bleeding levels.

Yea, the Magni can get all my other headphones to ear bleeding levels except my AKG K240 (VERY Old) 600 Ohm and K612. It's 10000x times worse with the K240's. It's like my volume is on 10 or 20%, but people on forums said it'd be able to drive them with ease. Those were the reason that I had bought the Magni. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back