The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Oct 28, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #9,436 of 12,546
  I purchased the 600 Ohm DT880's from an experienced fellow member who told me if I ever had the itch to upgrade call him and he'd try to talk me out of it. I've took that advise at face value and enjoy the DT880's very much...no itch yet.

Nice to see you own DT880 and HD600. That is a good mid-fi duo and they really do shine on higher quality sources and amps.

Oct 28, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #9,437 of 12,546
A Cx to the above: I can hear that weird sound on the Brahms concerto disc with my 770s, but not as clearly, And is simply hadn't really caught my attention before as it was more lost amid all the other sounds. Only now that I'm paying attention do I discern it. With the 880s, the sound is too clear to ignore.

I remember how it was when I first got my DT880. All those little background noises seemed to come out of nowhere, and all those little details and imperfections were distracting. Over time I just started naturally tuning it all out. I guess I got used to the sound and resolution, so my mind didn't concentrate on those aspects anymore since they became constants.

What doesn't go away are poor recordings, though. While I can't say there's anything in my collection that the DT880 renders unlistenable, its honesty can sometimes be brutal.

Oct 29, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #9,438 of 12,546

Nice to see you own DT880 and HD600. That is a good mid-fi duo and they really do shine on higher quality sources and amps.

Yes it's nice having them both and I have a few decent drives I use as transports. With the HD600 I'm using a Samsung Blu-ray drive to a Maverick Audio D-2 to a Keces HA-171, sounds impressive. I love the sound of the HD600 and can listen for hours with this setup.

Oct 30, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #9,440 of 12,546

I agree, but the term "midfi" is misleading. You own a Theta Progeny don't you (I also own one)? Is that mid-fi because it's not priced like a Chord? 

In any case, the HD600 and DT880 are top of the line gear IMO, especially when driven well, the DT-880 arguably being Beyer's best audiophile-designed headphone yet, triumphing over the T1 and the rest of the Teslas. 

Oct 30, 2015 at 4:01 AM Post #9,441 of 12,546
In any case, the HD600 and DT880 are top of the line gear IMO, especially when driven well, the DT-880 arguably being Beyer's best audiophile-designed headphone yet, triumphing over the T1 and the rest of the Teslas.

Them's certainly fighting words. However, after a recent simple mod to my 880 Pro, and listening to any half decent recording through a Beyerdynamic A1 clone, I do tend to wonder how much better the sound can get or even needs to be. The polarity of views has always turned me off the teslas, not to mention the lousy FR graphs (compared to the 880).

Oct 30, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #9,442 of 12,546
The hd600/650 and DT880 are called/classified as midfi because it's in the middle of the brand's Line up. You can't call a bmw 3 series a top of the line Bmw car when it's not their top of the line or a Lexus IS250, no matter how much you like it or how well it performs. It's just not a top of the line product.

Oct 30, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #9,443 of 12,546

Them's certainly fighting words. However, after a recent simple mod to my 880 Pro, and listening to any half decent recording through a Beyerdynamic A1 clone, I do tend to wonder how much better the sound can get or even needs to be. The polarity of views has always turned me off the teslas, not to mention the lousy FR graphs (compared to the 880).

I am a little bit curious about that A1 clone. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 30, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #9,445 of 12,546
The hd600/650 and DT880 are called/classified as midfi because it's in the middle of the brand's Line up. You can't call a bmw 3 series a top of the line Bmw car when it's not their top of the line or a Lexus IS250, no matter how much you like it or how well it performs. It's just not a top of the line product.

Agreed. I personally love every Beyerdynamic headphone but my order of preference certainly doesn't follow their product line from top down. 

Oct 30, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #9,448 of 12,546
The hd600/650 and DT880 are called/classified as midfi because it's in the middle of the brand's Line up.

That's not what mid-fi means in the world of audio. It's not indicative of product placement; rather it's sound quality. Only on this kiddie forum are product designations price-based.

Oct 30, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #9,449 of 12,546

I certainly cannot agree with this.  The DT 880 is not transparent or detailed enough, decay is too slow and unrealistic compared to higher end headphones, sound stage is too cramped compared to others.  But I can understand people preferring the DT 880's more neutral tuning than the T1.

That's not what mid-fi means in the world of audio. It's not indicative of product placement; rather it's sound quality. Only on this kiddie forum are product designations price-based.

If you say so.  But using both definitions, the DT 880 is 100% mid-fi to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back