The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Jun 25, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #9,226 of 12,548
Good to know pp312
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyhoo I'm about to leave for the airport for a vacation in Peking. Perhaps I should lug a la figaro back home
smily_headphones1.gif

Or some Little Dot.
Or some random Chi-FI DAPs like Shozy Alien, Ihifi 770, Xduoo X2, HUM Pervasion, and whatever else that comes from China...

In all seriousness, maybe you can get a great deal on a 400i or a dunu dn-2000j in Beijing...

Jun 28, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #9,228 of 12,548
Hello guys!

I've been looking for a vintage version of DT880 called DT880S for quite a long time.

Does anyone have any experience with that model? I'd like to know the sound signature comparing to modern day models.

Thanks!

Cheers

Jul 3, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #9,229 of 12,548
Thought you Beyer DT880 fans might be interested in this.

Credit goes to the maker from instagram : https://instagram.com/p/4reqbASWa0/

You know you all want one...

Jul 3, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #9,230 of 12,548

+1 lol. I knew it was just time before someone loved their cans like a baby. Now if made the knit for my beloved ETHER'S too.

Jul 6, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #9,231 of 12,548

Yea... But how does it affect sound stage!?!?

Lol j/K, could be a neat idea if done right. All personal preference course.

Jul 7, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #9,233 of 12,548
Lol.

I've had my DT880s in storage for a few months now since I just bought a house.  Can't wait to get my office setup (it's low on the priority list) and get them out and do some listening with them!  I miss my DT880s.  Been using my W40 IEMs a lot lately due to convenience.

Jul 8, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #9,234 of 12,548
I find myself coming back again and again to the DT880...just a great can and exceptional value. I thought about selling them off a couple of times but thankfully came to my senses! 

Jul 8, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #9,236 of 12,548

Somebody bought mine today (well, will be shipped in a few hours to be exact). I IMMEDIATELY regrets it.

The member I purchased mine from told me later that if I ever thought about upgrading to contact him and he would try to talk me out of it. Guess this is a keeper...

Jul 8, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #9,237 of 12,548
  The member I purchased mine from told me later that if I ever thought about upgrading to contact him and he would try to talk me out of it. Guess this is a keeper...

The amps i feel are the bottleneck with the headphone. dt880 needs distortion to sound pleasing. Yeah it's a keeper.
What I regret is the fact that Premium costs me $100 more than the Pro, plus I had to pay import tax. And right when somebody already sent payment I was like, "oh ****, I shouldn't have done this"

Probably won't regret it nearly as much if it were the Pro version (because it's cheaper and available locally)

Jul 8, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #9,238 of 12,548

The amps i feel are the bottleneck with the headphone. dt880 needs distortion to sound pleasing. Yeah it's a keeper.
What I regret is the fact that Premium costs me $100 more than the Pro, plus I had to pay import tax. And right when somebody already sent payment I was like, "oh ****, I shouldn't have done this"

Probably won't regret it nearly as much if it were the Pro version (because it's cheaper and available locally)

I power mine from a Little Dot MKIII using yugo EI 6HM5 driver tubes most of the time... it's a great pairing IMHO. I also have a Beresford Capella that does an excellent job of making them sing but you are correct that the right amp is critical especially with the 600 Ohm variant. 

The good thing for you is they are always showing up in the forums for sale.
wink.gif

Jul 8, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #9,239 of 12,548
  I find myself coming back again and again to the DT880...just a great can and exceptional value. I thought about selling them off a couple of times but thankfully came to my senses! 

Yes, a timely attack of sanity indeed. I've looked around at a possible upgrade but there seems nothing at a reasonable price, and not much at unreasonable prices. The 880 just plays way out of its league, at least with orchestral/classical/jazz etc, which is great if you want to upgrade to the 880 but downright frustrating if you want to upgrade the 880 as there's nowhere to go. I've looked at all the usual suspects, but when you get right into it there's as much said against as for them, and their FR graphs are often all over the place compared to the 880. I even bought a Stax SRS-2170 system but still prefer the 880 (not enough treble air for me in the Stax, and no other compensating factors). Looks like the 880 may be my end game, which is okay--I mean, why not? They're incredibly comfortable, easy enough to drive...I'm just not seeing any downsides. It's just that insidious, creeping desire every so often for something just a teensy-weensy bit better... 

Jul 8, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #9,240 of 12,548

Yes, a timely attack of sanity indeed. I've looked around at a possible upgrade but there seems nothing at a reasonable price, and not much at unreasonable prices. The 880 just plays way out of its league, at least with orchestral/classical/jazz etc, which is great if you want to upgrade to the 880 but downright frustrating if you want to upgrade the 880 as there's nowhere to go. I've looked at all the usual suspects, but when you get right into it there's as much said against as for them, and their FR graphs are often all over the place compared to the 880. I even bought a Stax SRS-2170 system but still prefer the 880 (not enough treble air for me in the Stax, and no other compensating factors). Looks like the 880 may be my end game, which is okay--I mean, why not? They're incredibly comfortable, easy enough to drive...I'm just not seeing any downsides. It's just that insidious, creeping desire every so often for something just a teensy-weensy bit better... 

What about a T1?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back