The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Jun 22, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #9,196 of 12,548
I've tried the K551's and I would say that they're kind of like a closed-back version of the DT880's. They have supreme subbass extension (if you can get a proper seal), but lack in midbass and impact - just like the DT880's. The lower mids sounded weak and thin to me but thats about where the cons end. If you like the DT880's sound signature, there's no doubt you're going to like the AKG's. 

Try a better amplifier and you may feel differently.

Jun 23, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #9,198 of 12,548
Regarding washing and drying the ear pads for the DT880 I've just done that and they are as good as new now. After washing with soapy water I use the hair dryer and even place it on top of the oil column heater over a towel. Just don't burn it and it will come out crisp like popcorn. :)

As for a cheap amp for the DT880, I'd say the Aune T1 if you can get a non defective unit. My unit came with the on/off switch not moving at all like it's been cemented. The replacement unit came with the same problem horrors of horrors. Is this a new trend? Make the on/off switch stuck so you cannot start it. So I cancel the order and got a JDS Lab o2+odac limited edition and it works like a charm out of the box with my dt880 pro and hd650. I was bobbing my head and tapping my feet away until......

Until a few days ago, I 'borrowed' my son's Aune T1 since he just bought a modi2 uber + magni2 uber for his he560.

Omg the Aune T1 and dt880 pro actually sounded good, very good !!!   and I am still using the stock tube.

Jun 24, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #9,199 of 12,548
  Regarding washing and drying the ear pads for the DT880 I've just done that and they are as good as new now. After washing with soapy water I use the hair dryer and even place it on top of the oil column heater over a towel. Just don't burn it and it will come out crisp like popcorn. :)

As for a cheap amp for the DT880, I'd say the Aune T1 if you can get a non defective unit. My unit came with the on/off switch not moving at all like it's been cemented. The replacement unit came with the same problem horrors of horrors. Is this a new trend? Make the on/off switch stuck so you cannot start it. So I cancel the order and got a JDS Lab o2+odac limited edition and it works like a charm out of the box with my dt880 pro and hd650. I was bobbing my head and tapping my feet away until......

Until a few days ago, I 'borrowed' my son's Aune T1 since he just bought a modi2 uber + magni2 uber for his he560.

Omg the Aune T1 and dt880 pro actually sounded good, very good !!!   and I am still using the stock tube.

I've tried washing the DT880's pads once. I didn't use a hair dryer or anything, I just placed them outside to dry. And in the hellish temps we have in my country they dried up really quickly lol. 

Yeah, getting a decently-working T1 without any QC issues can be frustrating. Luckily my unit is bulletproof, its one of the early batches where there were rarely any quality control issues. 

The T1 also sounds magical with the HD650's. If you think the sound is good now, wait until you hear it with some quality NOS tubes. An Amperex OG 6DJ8 is a good (and relatively cheap) way to start. I find that tube to work really well with the DT880's since it takes the edge out of the highs and brings some warmth to the midrange. 

Jun 24, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #9,200 of 12,548
@ xkunfuzed  it was your review of Aune T1 that started me on this desktop audio bliss. So my mind was set on getting the Aune T1 MK2 after reading your review but alas it was not to be....re the defective units. Mind you returning each item by registered post to China cost me AUD$62 and the Aune T1 is only AUD$180. It took me one month to recover my money...sigh.

Now you gave a glowing review of the DT880 Pro with the Aune T1. So I went to MiniDisc in Sydney and specifically audition 3 headphones. This place has all the headphones set up for you to try, including the high end ones like hd800, beyer t1, Oppo PM1, AKG, AT, etc.

Anyhow the 3 headphones I trialled were the hd600, hd650 and dt880. At that time I didn't even know there were variations of the dt880. I went armed with my iPod classic 160gb with songs in Apple lossless. The dealer set me up with a very small amp which I later learn was the O2 amp by JDS lab. So my listening session with those headphones was with this setup of iPod classic and O2 amp. I started with the dt880 and immediately was impressed with how Brothers In Arms by Dire Straits sounded. Then followed Dreams by Fleetwood Mac and I was sold. Now prior to this all I ever had was a Samsung earbud plug in to my iMac line out or from my iPod. This was like a zillion times better. No it was like a new beginning. I couldn't stop listening. Hello by Lionel Richie, Don't Know Why by Norah Jones. Oh man I just sat there listening and forgot about the hd600 and hd650 lol. Finally I switch to the hd650 and hd600. By that time my ears were already accustomed to the lively sound of the dt880 that the other 2 just didn't impressed. So I walk out of the shop having purchased the dt880. That was my noob mistake. I had based my purchase on an initial listen of the dt880 for an hour. It's like love at first sight.

Then I bought the o2+odac, followed by the ath m50x and finally within a 3 weeks period I ended up with my final purchase of the hd650.

My setup now is on 2 computers. On my iMac I have the Aune T1 with the DT880. On a nearly new Windows 8 PC I have the o2+odac with the HD650. Sadly the m50x is forgotten though it's also very enjoyable. Both computers I have TIDAL hifi version setup for source listening. I occasionally switch the headphones around the iMac and PC. To date I'm just a happy vegemite. I can't decide which I like more. The dt880 and hd650 both sound different even to my inexperience ears but they are so clear and detailed and so enjoyable to listen to music with !

I don't know. Maybe I'm easy to please. To me this setups seems sooooooooooo good now. Ok don't entice me with a glooie seductive OTL tube amp yet. Let me enjoy this for a while. And perhaps later I'll take your advice and get another tube to try on the Aune T1. :)

And oh I've to tell my son he's not getting the Aune T1 back !

Jun 24, 2015 at 2:38 AM Post #9,201 of 12,548
  The T1 also sounds magical with the HD650's. If you think the sound is good now, wait until you hear it with some quality NOS tubes. An Amperex OG 6DJ8 is a good (and relatively cheap) way to start. I find that tube to work really well with the DT880's since it takes the edge out of the highs and brings some warmth to the midrange. 

Can I ask you the ebay link where you got the 7308?
By the way, the one you own is Aune T1 Mk1 right? How much was the new price for it back then if I may ask?

Jun 24, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #9,202 of 12,548
  @ xkunfuzed  it was your review of Aune T1 that started me on this desktop audio bliss. So my mind was set on getting the Aune T1 MK2 after reading your review but alas it was not to be....re the defective units. Mind you returning each item by registered post to China cost me AUD$62 and the Aune T1 is only AUD$180. It took me one month to recover my money...sigh.

Now you gave a glowing review of the DT880 Pro with the Aune T1. So I went to MiniDisc in Sydney and specifically audition 3 headphones. This place has all the headphones set up for you to try, including the high end ones like hd800, beyer t1, Oppo PM1, AKG, AT, etc.

Anyhow the 3 headphones I trialled were the hd600, hd650 and dt880. At that time I didn't even know there were variations of the dt880. I went armed with my iPod classic 160gb with songs in Apple lossless. The dealer set me up with a very small amp which I later learn was the O2 amp by JDS lab. So my listening session with those headphones was with this setup of iPod classic and O2 amp. I started with the dt880 and immediately was impressed with how Brothers In Arms by Dire Straits sounded. Then followed Dreams by Fleetwood Mac and I was sold. Now prior to this all I ever had was a Samsung earbud plug in to my iMac line out or from my iPod. This was like a zillion times better. No it was like a new beginning. I couldn't stop listening. Hello by Lionel Richie, Don't Know Why by Norah Jones. Oh man I just sat there listening and forgot about the hd600 and hd650 lol. Finally I switch to the hd650 and hd600. By that time my ears were already accustomed to the lively sound of the dt880 that the other 2 just didn't impressed. So I walk out of the shop having purchased the dt880. That was my noob mistake. I had based my purchase on an initial listen of the dt880 for an hour. It's like love at first sight.

Then I bought the o2+odac, followed by the ath m50x and finally within a 3 weeks period I ended up with my final purchase of the hd650.

My setup now is on 2 computers. On my iMac I have the Aune T1 with the DT880. On a nearly new Windows 8 PC I have the o2+odac with the HD650. Sadly the m50x is forgotten though it's also very enjoyable. Both computers I have TIDAL hifi version setup for source listening. I occasionally switch the headphones around the iMac and PC. To date I'm just a happy vegemite. I can't decide which I like more. The dt880 and hd650 both sound different even to my inexperience ears but they are so clear and detailed and so enjoyable to listen to music with !

I don't know. Maybe I'm easy to please. To me this setups seems sooooooooooo good now. Ok don't entice me with a glooie seductive OTL tube amp yet. Let me enjoy this for a while. And perhaps later I'll take your advice and get another tube to try on the Aune T1. :)

And oh I've to tell my son he's not getting the Aune T1 back !

My pleasure man. I'm glad to hear that.

Yeah, and unfortunately Aune's terrible customer support is no help either. I had a blown adapter and kept emailing them for a nearly a month straight for a replacement. They never replied until the last minute.

As to the DT880 vs HD650, well I'm finding that Im liking the 650's a bit more. Did I just start WW3 by saying that in this thread ?
biggrin.gif
But honestly, they're both great headphones. What im really digging about the Senns is their musicality. A lot of people say that they put you to sleep with their sound, but thats rubbish, these give me the chills when listening to music. Before the HD650, me Beyers still wowed me from time to time when i switched to them from my other headphones. But let me put it to you this way: with the DT880's, I was constantly looking for music that it excels at, music that will show their true potential. Even if i didn't particularly like that sort of music, I still listened because, well, it excelled with the DT880's.

The HD650's are different. I have been doing nothing but actually enjoying the music. Music i own and like, some of which is poorly mastered. These sound absolutely wonderful with it. And its not like its lacking any of the Beyer technicalities either. The Senns actually have more detail in their midrange.

I will eventually make a long-winded comparison of both but for now, i really just want to enjoy my 650's
tongue.gif

Can I ask you the ebay link where you got the 7308?
By the way, the one you own is Aune T1 Mk1 right? How much was the new price for it back then if I may ask?

Hey Mike. I actually got the 7308 from UpScale audio here: http://www.upscaleaudio.com/amperex-7308-vintage-gold-pin/
They bumped the prices to a point where the driver grade reached $90, and the platinum cost $105. Now they're back to normal (well slightly above normal actually). The driver grade, which is all you need for a T1 since it has a tube buffer stage, used to cost $50. I grabbed mine for $65. A bit costly, buy I personally love experimenting with new tubes. Plus at the time I was using the stock tube for a year and wanted to finally upgrade.

Yep, mine is the MK1. I got it for $175 on eBay, though you can find it for much less now. Btw, Massdrop occasionally has the MK2 version (asynchronous transfer and 24/192 support) for $149. They also supply a Genalex Gold Lion tube - which according to the guys at the T1 thread is a better alternative to the stock EH6922 tube.

Jun 24, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #9,203 of 12,548
Upscale audio sells the Amperex 7308 for US$95 but shipping cost another US$50 to 60 dollars !!! Sadly it's very expensive to get tubes delivered to downunder.

Another thing I noticed is that the Aune T1 Mk2 is sold out in most places. Noisy Motel, MiniDisc. I'm refering to authorised retailers in Australia.
There's lots on ebay but that's where I 'gave up' on the Aune T1 Mk2
wink_face.gif

Maybe you'll be luckier so good luck !

Jun 24, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #9,204 of 12,548
  Upscale audio sells the Amperex 7308 for US$95 but shipping cost another US$50 to 60 dollars !!! Sadly it's very expensive to get tubes delivered to downunder.

Another thing I noticed is that the Aune T1 Mk2 is sold out in most places. Noisy Motel, MiniDisc. I'm refering to authorised retailers in Australia.
There's lots on ebay but that's where I 'gave up' on the Aune T1 Mk2
wink_face.gif

Maybe you'll be luckier so good luck !

How about buying used from head-fi? Also... nobody in Gumtree sells them or something?

Jun 24, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #9,205 of 12,548
After taking another look at ebay I noticed one used unit for sale from Singapore with extra rare tubes. Unit looks very well kept and look after. Most of these sellers are probably selling because they've upgraded to better stuff. If I had to do this again this is the route I would probably take. At least I'd know that the unit is working and has already been burn in
bigsmile_face.gif

Disclaimer : I don't know this seller nor am I related to him/ her haha.

Probably worth buying used from head fi too. I'm sure you'll find this item being put on sale from time to time as Massdrop did a huge sale recently. 5 thousands?

Jun 24, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #9,206 of 12,548
I'm sorry guys, I have a difficult time understanding the logic behind spending a third to a half as much on a tube that only acts as a buffer, than the amp/DAC, itself. You may be surprised to now that experienced audiophiles, whose systems don't fit on desks, typically use factory fill. For example, a good friend recently retubed his $30,000+ c-j monoblocks with late production 6550s. Same goes for the bulk of the grownups, if you will. Yet, those who can afford far less - we were all students/young professionals once - buy exclusive, expensive tubes for relatively poor equipment. Those same funds would do more sonic good being put toward the main component, than a buffer tube. A buffer for an entry-level piece.

I only ask that you consider my comment. Obviously, it's solely your choice as to which gear and which tube to buy. My suggestion is to buy better gear from the onset. If tubed, learn about tubes and pay less than $10 for killer singes. You can either throw money or knowledge at this and not arrive at the same result; knowledge almost always wins.

:beerchug:

Jun 24, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #9,207 of 12,548
Case-by-case situation it's not always the same.

If they aren't yet buying anything, with the same total cost, and for dt 880, getting something like a Little Dot mk III might make more sense I agree.
Well if a person already owns a Aune T1, then it's already a sunk cost and to further improves it, they need the Amperex 7308, and that will be cheaper than buying a LD mk III to fix the T1 that was already purchased..

Jun 24, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #9,208 of 12,548
Case-by-case situation it's not always the same.

I see an aggregate mentality culminating in common, if not nearly identical, means.

If they aren't yet buying anything, with the same total cost, and for dt 880, getting something like a Little Dot mk III might make more sense I agree.
Well if a person already owns a Aune T1, then it's already a sunk cost and to further improves it, they need the Amperex 7308, and that will be cheaper than buying a LD mk III to fix the T1 that was already purchased..

My point is, why buy a Aune T1 in the first place, given the stated constraints, and then spend a large percentage of the purchase price on a single tube, when one can buy something a lot better to begin with for almost the same money? Doesn't anyone consider that the guys who've been doing this for decades, who have a great deal more discretionary income, not to mention owning systems that are worth more than some people's homes, don't typically opt for expensive NOS tubes? There's a reason for it.

Jun 24, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #9,209 of 12,548
I don't know why they bought Aune T1 instead of say, LD mk iii in the first place, but many did.

Local hype?
Not being in the US or Europe?
Isolated information circle?
Slow internet speed?
Can't speak English?
Local distribution of Aune but not Little Dot?
Primitive GST tax regulations?
Never buy anything from abroad before?

Lots of reasons I guess? People buy what's available. I never heard of Xduoo and Ihifi until like a week ago? Apparently it's quite more famous than Fiio X1 where I'm at.

Jun 24, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #9,210 of 12,548
Hahaha rovopio.

If you're ampless (is there such a word) and you don't want to spend much a Aune T1 Mk2 fits the bill. As it is with the stock tube it's very enjoyable. I'm sure there are cheaper amps but this one is in my possession so I'm enjoying it. BUT everyone who buys a tube dac or tube amp invariably will be curious to see what difference a change of tube will do. It's part of this mad hobby.

I'm not going to spend $145 ($95 + $50 shipping) on Amperex 7308 to improve a $180 Aune T1. But if others do so that's ok. Nothing wrong with that. Everyone makes their own informed decision.

Meanwhile I'll mull on the next upgrade in a year's time 
beyersmile.png
 how about a woo audio 2 or la figaro eh?          yeah xconfuzed you're my nightmare......hahaha joking. 

I have a question on the dt880 less we have forgotten about it 
confused_face.gif

When I put it on my head I occasionally hear a click sound from one of the hinge. Is this normal? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back