The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Apr 10, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #8,941 of 12,546

As for your last sentence I would ask, is that regardless of current amp or budget?

If someone is looking for a dt880, I would recommend the 600 ohm version because in my listening I find it to be superior to the others.  (in my system).  Again, I would defer to the inner fidelity video.  Tyle has trusted ears, and he states better then I why one might prefer the 600 ohm.  

Apr 10, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #8,942 of 12,546
Tyll has the use of any amp he wants.
wink.gif

What I would do is find out the enquirer's budget and current amp. It's quite likely that, assuming he doesn't own anything exotic, the 250 ohm will sound just as good as the 600 ohm with his current setup.

Frankly, there are so many factors at play here. I recently discovered that I prefer my DT880 Pro with older, more compressed earpads, bringing the driver slightly closer to the ears. This cuts down upper treble and airiness and brings up the mids slightly. Pad compression is always a factor. Then there's unit variation, fit on the head (seal around the ears, even shape of the ears) and amp synergy irrespective of impedance. Plus of course price. Depending on country, the Pro can be up to $100 less than the 600 ohm Premium. It's all bit of a dog's breakfast and by no means an automatic choice.  

Apr 11, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #8,945 of 12,546
Tyll has the use of any amp he wants.
wink.gif

What I would do is find out the enquirer's budget and current amp. It's quite likely that, assuming he doesn't own anything exotic, the 250 ohm will sound just as good as the 600 ohm with his current setup.

Frankly, there are so many factors at play here. I recently discovered that I prefer my DT880 Pro with older, more compressed earpads, bringing the driver slightly closer to the ears. This cuts down upper treble and airiness and brings up the mids slightly. Pad compression is always a factor. Then there's unit variation, fit on the head (seal around the ears, even shape of the ears) and amp synergy irrespective of impedance. Plus of course price. Depending on country, the Pro can be up to $100 less than the 600 ohm Premium. It's all bit of a dog's breakfast and by no means an automatic choice.  

my own experience the pads matters! When the pads compressed a little bit, the midrange while retaining it's analytical signature, music sounds like music. When it was new, my dt880 premium, the midrange sounds like sandpaper, so dry it sounds dead. (there's a lot of exaggeration in play here) but um, with compressed earpads the dt880 premium sounds real good, and sounds the same with the pro. The premium is just a little comfier to me.

Apr 11, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #8,948 of 12,546
Never realized tubes could change the sound signature to such an extent.

Every part in these headphone amps makes a difference.  They are so simple, so few parts, that every part comes into play - some changes are so minor and some dramatic.  The power supply makes a huge difference too.  If you build and tweak you realize these things.  

Apr 11, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #8,949 of 12,546
I heard the DT880 250 ohm on the O2 + ODAC combo at CanJam 2015. It was surprisingly good and I would buy one for a semi-portable setup in the future. It drove the 250 ohms at about 1'o clock on the dial so it isn't as robust(in the bass)as some of the wall powered amps out there (Asgard 2/Magni Uber) but it delivers a small form factor and DAC in the same chassis. Neutral sound signature, nothing harsh but still nothing to write home about. Just good all around.

Apr 11, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #8,950 of 12,546
  I heard the DT880 250 ohm on the O2 + ODAC combo at CanJam 2015. It was surprisingly good and I would buy one for a semi-portable setup in the future. It drove the 250 ohms at about 1'o clock on the dial so it isn't as robust(in the bass)as some of the wall powered amps out there (Asgard 2/Magni Uber) but it delivers a small form factor and DAC in the same chassis. Neutral sound signature, nothing harsh but still nothing to write home about. Just good all around.

Agreed. My O2+ODAC sounds perfectly fine paired with the DT880 600 Ohm version. I leave the volume at 9 o'clock on 2.5x low gain. While a tube amp might pair better with the DT880 by taking off some of the edge, if you're after a neutral setup that won't cost you a fortune the O2+ODAC is a fine choice. Plus, you can get it cheaper than a Schiit stack if you build it yourself. Mine only costed me $160.

Apr 11, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #8,951 of 12,546

I have the CRACK and LD MK III and if you will asked me which amp i prefer for my DT880 600 ohms i will say THE CRACK due to it's better bass,Mids and DEAD QUIET Background than the MK III.
IMHO the MK III have a better treble but it can be bright sounding sometimes with some tubes overall the CRACK is smoother and quieter at least to my ears.

What tubes are you using in your LD MKIII? I was toying around with getting another tube amp either a Crack or Darkvoice but right now with the EI driver tubes I'm blown away with my LD. Never realized tubes could change the sound signature to such an extent.

I've use EI 6HM5 which is my favourite plug n play driver tubes,Some of those tubes that we used to strapped pins for driver used made the MK III bright or even some EF91,EF92 and EF95 family of tubes.Now mine is using 6SN7/12SN7 and 6080/6AS7G for the Power tubes,using C3g for the driver tubes.I replaced the Volume pot with ALPS BLUE VELVET and i modified a PC Power Supply for the Power Tubes heater.

Apr 11, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #8,952 of 12,546

Is the dip at 3k just a model to model variation or do the 600 Ohm vs 250 Ohm differ in that regard. I remember my Manufaktur 600 Ohm DT880 having recessed mids compared to the 250 Ohm version.

What you're seeing there could as well be sample variation. These graphs are useful for getting an overall picture, but not for studying and comparing every little dip and blip.

Apr 12, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #8,953 of 12,546
Hello guys, since 2 days i am an happy DT 880 pro 250ohm owner.
First of all I must say this is my 1st beyerdynamic headphones, I was an AKG and Sennheiser user (well, still am I).
I would say that I live this new DT 880, really really happy for the sound. I dont like the fixed cable but it's ok.

I write here also for a suggestion: a nice carrying bag for this model? I know there's a proper bag sold by beyerdynamic but I want to know if there are other options.
Thanks

Apr 13, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #8,954 of 12,546
XipeTotec, I have to say the standard case that comes is rubbish... It's a bag, !!
I've looked on Amazon And they have a good range of cases on there with a range of reviews which should help
I like the carry case which will give room for the headphones, headphone amp (Fiio E07K) and iPhone.
About £20 so €25

Apr 13, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #8,955 of 12,546
XipeTotec, I have to say the standard case that comes is rubbish... It's a bag, !!
I've looked on Amazon And they have a good range of cases on there with a range of reviews which should help
I like the carry case which will give room for the headphones, headphone amp (Fiio E07K) and iPhone.
About £20 so €25

Yeah the bag that comes with the earphones is useful only to protect them from dust but it is pretty useless if you want to carry your earphones outside.
I suppose you're talking about amazon.com, do you suggest any particular brand?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back