The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Apr 8, 2015 at 3:06 AM Post #8,912 of 12,546
FWIW, prefer my DT880/600 with ss amps: Meier Concerto and Vio V200. OTOH, love tubes with HD600 and K550.

Can you describe to me how the different amps affect the dt880/600? What do you prefer about the ss amps over the tube amps?

I'm probably not gonna be spending too much. As far as solid state amps go, i've heard that the objective 2 and the schiit magni hit a price/performance sweet spot.. but both have been described as bright, and I don't want my dt880's to get any brighter.

Apr 8, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #8,913 of 12,546
FWIW, prefer my DT880/600 with ss amps: Meier Concerto and Vio V200. OTOH, love tubes with HD600 and K550.

Can you describe to me how the different amps affect the dt880/600? What do you prefer about the ss amps over the tube amps?

I'm probably not gonna be spending too much. As far as solid state amps go, i've heard that the objective 2 and the schiit magni hit a price/performance sweet spot.. but both have been described as bright, and I don't want my dt880's to get any brighter.

Tube amps - warm, fun but accurate. Widens the sound stage and kind of gives a weird tunnel effect.

SS - accurate, solid sound. Depends on the interconnects used.

Apr 8, 2015 at 6:16 AM Post #8,914 of 12,546

I can only discuss the amps I own or have had in my system. You can see which gear I use in my profile.

I like the control of the ss amps. Let me state my bias - I like listening with the Vio better. This being said, the two are very different sounding amplifiers, tonally. The Meier is bright and vivid with lots of detail emerging from an absolutely black background. The Vio, OTOH, is warm sounding, laid back in its presentation, and very easy on the ear. Ultimately, it extracts as much detail from a recording, if not slightly more, than the Meier. The Vio is also dead-quiet, but perhaps not as back as the Meier. It's a hair-width of a difference. On the low end, the Vio has a bit more bass, but the Meier has much better bass. Better articulation, definition, control, and extension. So, why do I like the Vio more? I feel like it makes a more synergistic match with the DT880, but if one, personally, prefers a more "sunny" sound, the Meier will certainly satisfy.

FWIW, my OTL tube amp - in its current tune - sounds a bit brighter than either of the ss amps, and it does add a sense of space and dimension to the sound.

I have not had a Magni in my system, but I did spend a few weeks with an O2. Let me say, outright, that it's one of the worst sounding components I've ever heard aimed at the audiophile market. I actually have a hard time thinking of an amp that sounds more grainy, less dynamic, and resolving; it's like listening to sandpaper. Look in the classifieds. Depending on the sort of sound you prefer, Folks would be happy to make a recommendation within your budget. The standard recommendation is a Matrix M-Stage that sells used for less than $150 and it's performance is on a completely different level next to the O2. It's not bright sounding. Good luck.

Apr 8, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #8,916 of 12,546
I'm using my Valhalla 2 with the 880/600s right now. It is my go-to setup for classical.

Apr 8, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #8,917 of 12,546
  So I just bought the DT880 edition 600 ohm version, so I guess I'm subscribing to this thread now.

I've been running them out of a cmoy, and that has been kinda satisfactory so far, but I'm gonna be looking for something better to plug these into. What are some amps that pair well with the 600 ohm dt880? 

Check my profile all my amps work great with the Beyers. My favorites are the Little Dot (tube) and Capella (SS). You have to switch out tubes in the LD but it is inexpensive and well worth it. If you think the cmoy sounds good your in for a feast! 

Apr 8, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #8,919 of 12,546
I can only discuss the amps I own or have had in my system. You can see which gear I use in my profile.

I like the control of the ss amps. Let me state my bias - I like listening with the Vio better. This being said, the two are very different sounding amplifiers, tonally. The Meier is bright and vivid with lots of detail emerging from an absolutely black background. The Vio, OTOH, is warm sounding, laid back in its presentation, and very easy on the ear. Ultimately, it extracts as much detail from a recording, if not slightly more, than the Meier. The Vio is also dead-quiet, but perhaps not as back as the Meier. It's a hair-width of a difference. On the low end, the Vio has a bit more bass, but the Meier has much better bass. Better articulation, definition, control, and extension. So, why do I like the Vio more? I feel like it makes a more synergistic match with the DT880, but if one, personally, prefers a more "sunny" sound, the Meier will certainly satisfy.

FWIW, my OTL tube amp - in its current tune - sounds a bit brighter than either of the ss amps, and it does add a sense of space and dimension to the sound.
I have not had a Magni in my system, but I did spend a few weeks with an O2. Let me say, outright, that it's one of the worst sounding components I've ever heard aimed at the audiophile market. I actually have a hard time thinking of an amp that sounds more grainy, less dynamic, and resolving; it's like listening to sandpaper. Look in the classifieds. Depending on the sort of sound you prefer, Folks would be happy to make a recommendation within your budget. The standard recommendation is a Matrix M-Stage that sells used for less than $150 and it's performance is on a completely different level next to the O2. It's not bright sounding. Good luck.

+1 for the 600 Ohm DT880 and Matrix M Stage headphone amp.
I preferred my Matrix with an LM4562 Op Amp.

Apr 8, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #8,920 of 12,546
  So I just bought the DT880 edition 600 ohm version, so I guess I'm subscribing to this thread now.

I've been running them out of a cmoy, and that has been kinda satisfactory so far, but I'm gonna be looking for something better to plug these into. What are some amps that pair well with the 600 ohm dt880? 

Build something that you can be proud of.  Bottlehead Crack or ECP Torpedo.
And after that build something from scratch for the deepest fun and satisfaction.

Apr 9, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #8,921 of 12,546
Morning!

I'm in the market for a pair of DT880 600's and an amp to drive them and I have a couple quick questions.

First, I used to read a lot of posts (maybe around 2004ish?) that claimed that the Manufaktur version of these cans produce superior sound to the other versions. Is this still true? Was it ever true? Or, is this from the time when you could only get 600 Ohm Beyers through their Manufaktur service? If there's no difference in sound between the Manufaktur version and the regular 600 Ohm version, then I'll just grab the regular version.

Here's what I'm looking at for the amp:
  • BottleHead Crack with Speedball upgrade
  • Little Dot MK IV SE
  • Schiit Valhalla 2
  • Schiit Lyr 2

I'm leaning toward the Crack with Speedball upgrade because I'd love to assemble it myself. But, its output impedance is really high and, if possible, I'd like an amp that can run lower-impedance cans as well. The Little Dot is very tempting after all the things I've read about it. It has a much lower output impedance and pre-outs for monitors, which is a plus. I do think I want a tubey-type sound, so the Lyr 2 is last on the list as I hear it's pretty clinical for a tube hybrid.

Between these amps, are there any that stand out as truly terrible for the 880s? Also, are there any other tube amps/hybrids in this price-range that I have neglected to consider?

Thanks so much!

Edit: I just realized that the Valhalla 2 actually fits what I'm looking for better than the Lyr 2. I added it above.

Apr 9, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #8,922 of 12,546
  Morning!

I'm in the market for a pair of DT880 600's and an amp to drive them and I have a couple quick questions.

First, I used to read a lot of posts (maybe around 2004ish?) that claimed that the Manufaktur version of these cans produce superior sound to the other versions. Is this still true? Was it ever true? Or, is this from the time when you could only get 600 Ohm Beyers through their Manufaktur service? If there's no difference in sound between the Manufaktur version and the regular 600 Ohm version, then I'll just grab the regular version.

I've never heard anyone suggest that the Manufaktur models have better sound. To my knowledge it's only ever been cosmetic. Personally I don't even believe that the 600 ohm model is superior to the 250 ohm model, so there you go.  

Apr 9, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #8,923 of 12,546
Thanks, pp312! I think the posts I have seen that said as much are from an era when the 600 Ohm 880s were only available through Manufaktur.

I definitely don't have the experience it would take to formulate an opinion yet, but this is one of several things I really want to get to the bottom of. Differences in cables being another of those things. My reasoning goes a little something like this:

It doesn't seem that there are any sonic draw-backs to the 600 Ohm version as compared to the other models. If there are, I've never seen them written about in the admittedly short time I have researched the DT880. From what I've seen, a good chunk of DT880 owners prefer the 600 Ohm version. It's like every other post that has an opinion on the matter says either that the 600 Ohm model is superior or that it sounds the same as the others. I've yet to come across a post that says the 600 Ohm version is inferior in any way, just "not superior," or similar. Likewise, I've never seen anyone say that they preferred either of the other, lower impedance models. Again, it's just that they say they don't hear a difference. So, it seems that there is no draw-back, sonically, to choosing the 600 Ohm version if one is prepared to drop the cash to drive them.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I've been away from Head-Fi for years and I'm just now getting more into headphones again. If there are any sound-related reasons that one might choose the 250 Ohm or 32 Ohm model, I would love to hear those as well! If not, I'll go for the model with the most enthusiasm behind it. Because, why not?

Apr 10, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #8,924 of 12,546
  Thanks, pp312! I think the posts I have seen that said as much are from an era when the 600 Ohm 880s were only available through Manufaktur.

I definitely don't have the experience it would take to formulate an opinion yet, but this is one of several things I really want to get to the bottom of. Differences in cables being another of those things. My reasoning goes a little something like this:

It doesn't seem that there are any sonic draw-backs to the 600 Ohm version as compared to the other models. If there are, I've never seen them written about in the admittedly short time I have researched the DT880. From what I've seen, a good chunk of DT880 owners prefer the 600 Ohm version. It's like every other post that has an opinion on the matter says either that the 600 Ohm model is superior or that it sounds the same as the others. I've yet to come across a post that says the 600 Ohm version is inferior in any way, just "not superior," or similar. Likewise, I've never seen anyone say that they preferred either of the other, lower impedance models. Again, it's just that they say they don't hear a difference. So, it seems that there is no draw-back, sonically, to choosing the 600 Ohm version if one is prepared to drop the cash to drive them.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I've been away from Head-Fi for years and I'm just now getting more into headphones again. If there are any sound-related reasons that one might choose the 250 Ohm or 32 Ohm model, I would love to hear those as well! If not, I'll go for the model with the most enthusiasm behind it. Because, why not?

if you listen in a moderately very low volume, like me, you can drive the 250 ohm with Fiio X1 (power-requirement wise). and I did do this.
well i'm putting the dt880 on sale because my inner ear hurts, but that's not the dt880 fault. Anyway part of the reason i got the 250 ohm is to get the middle ground between home and *semi* portable use...
you'll get more 600 ohm users because this is head-fi, if you already have a pre-existing powerful desktop amp and only going to use it at your home, it makes more sense to get the 600 ohm instead...

Apr 10, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #8,925 of 12,546
Originally Posted by rovopio /img/forum/go_quote.gif

...Anyway part of the reason i got the 250 ohm is to get the middle ground between home and *semi* portable use...
you'll get more 600 ohm users because this is head-fi, if you already have a pre-existing powerful desktop amp and only going to use it at your home, it makes more sense to get the 600 ohm instead...

Good point on this being Head-Fi. Of course there'll be a larger group of people that already have powerful equipment here. I didn't think about that.
normal_smile .gif

You also brought up something that I forgot to mention. I will only ever use these at home, sitting at a desk. If I ever take them anywhere, it would only be a place where I felt comfortable taking the entire desktop rig and I can't think of a situation in which this would actually happen.

EDIT: I definitely wouldn't describe my preferred listening level as "quiet". Not ear-splitting, either. But, not quiet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back