The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Aug 30, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #7,966 of 12,546
That just mean the STU isn't doing the DT880 premium 600 justice then. If your gonna get a standalone amp, it be a good to ask around or research, so you know your getting something that will really do it.  I didn't keep the DT880 premium 600's long enough to try them with some amp's that people usually say that works good with them.

Aug 31, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #7,968 of 12,546
^^^ well like I said the sound quality of the STU is great, I would just like it to be louder. If any other amps would be recommended other than the E09k I am all ears.

The Matrix M Stage also works well with 600 Ohm DTs.
I would replace the stock Op Amp with an LM4562.

Aug 31, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #7,970 of 12,546
The Matrix M Stage also works well with 600 Ohm DTs.
I would replace the stock Op Amp with an LM4562.

I have owned a Matrix M Stage too and it is a good choice, Another good option for the op-amp is the 2x LME4990 which said to be transparent which might be ideal for him, unless he wants the LME4562 sound signature to tweak the STU stock op-amps sound.
^^^ well like I said the sound quality of the STU is great, I would just like it to be louder. If any other amps would be recommended other than the E09k I am all ears.

I have seen a couple of little dot's MK2 on sell on ebay, Which I sure will work with the DT880 premium 600's since I have seen a few people using it with them without issues. Tho You may not want to get into the whole tube rolling game as that might just confuse you or make your wallet cry in horror. Tho there are some good tube's that can be gotten cheap. But its another option besides the matrix M-Stage that Chris J mentioned.

I have the LD MK 2 2.0 my self but not used them with the DT880 premium 600's tho. I sure it work as there is a gain switch setting for 600ohm Headphone's which the manual mention and I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work well with them. If you lucky you might find one on the sell section, or really lucky like I was you might be able to grab it off ebay cheap like I did.

Aug 31, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #7,971 of 12,546
Hi everybody i'am newbie to this site and to whole audio thing i want to buy a headphone and I've been reading the treads and dt 770 pro 250-dt 880 pro and dt 990 pro looks good considering my budget and availability in my country i listen to all kind of music but mostly rock jazz and classical which of these headphone should i get

Aug 31, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #7,972 of 12,546
The best thing you can do is go some where if you can and give them all a listen with the type of music that you listed. Then get the one that sound good to you. I have used the DT880 pro-250 and I have listen to jazz and classical and they did good to me with them. But you might need to loosing up the headphone's as the DT880 pro-250's will be tight on your head. I haven't heard the DT990 pro-250 but it supposedly have a good size sound stage.

Aug 31, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #7,974 of 12,546
Weird question, but just out of curiosity, how much does it cost to make a DT880 (or any Beyer headphone at that matter)? Because i just read an article that says Beat by Dre headphone apparently cost only $14 to make. Obviously a company like Beyerdynamic would never do that, but i'd really like to know how much money is spent on making one of their headphones, 

Aug 31, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #7,976 of 12,546
What's curious about price is that the design of the DT 990 Pro has changed little in 30 years. Dig up the DT 990 from the mid '80s and you get a familiar sight. And, from measurements, it seems the driver has been slightly tinkered with at best. But the list price is $300.

Same thing with Sennheiser and their HD 600. Practically unchanged since the late '90s, and the driver tech going even further back, about two decades. Probably doesn't cost much to market the well-established HD 600, either. But for some reason Sennheiser wants $400 for them.

Aug 31, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #7,977 of 12,546
Well its quite interesting, take Beyer's own T1 for example. Right now on Amazon, their price is $900. About a month or so ago there was a huge price drop and you could get one (new) for $700. Notice that the MSRP for it is $1,400, which was what it sold for about a year ago. Now im sure no company will ever sell an item with loss, so in theory the T1 will definitely cost less than $700 to make, but the MSRP is $1,400.  

Anyone else feel like an idiot for buying stuff that takes so much less to manufacture than you're actually paying? Makes me want to order the parts and put it together myself 
biggrin.gif

Aug 31, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #7,978 of 12,546
  Well its quite interesting, take Beyer's own T1 for example. Right now on Amazon, their price is $900. About a month or so ago there was a huge price drop and you could get one (new) for $700. Notice that the MSRP for it is $1,400, which was what it sold for about a year ago. Now im sure no company will ever sell an item with loss, so in theory the T1 will definitely cost less than $700 to make, but the MSRP is $1,400.  

Anyone else feel like an idiot for buying stuff that takes so much less to manufacture than you're actually paying? Makes me want to order the parts and put it together myself 
biggrin.gif

Beyer has to pay people to get the product design process done (cost TONS of money). Then to get the necessary piece together, Then to manufacture the headphones. Then to package them, ship them around the world trough retailers networks and so on.  All these steps cost money, and at each step, someone's getting some profit. The fact that they cost less than 700$ to make now costed a whole lot of money to get there.

Aug 31, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #7,979 of 12,546

The MSRP is probably the price they first set when the T1 first came out and was never updated even after they recouped the cost. Do keep in mind that, as big of a deal headphones are to us in the community, they probably don't see a lot of sales to every day consumers so prices have to stay inflated to keep in business.

Anyone else feel like an idiot for buying stuff that takes so much less to manufacture than you're actually paying? Makes me want to order the parts and put it together myself :D  
Then you'll always feel like an idiot. :wink: A company that sells everything at a loss or at cost; will not be in business for very long.

Sep 1, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #7,980 of 12,546

biggrin.gif

All you need is a 3D printer and some screws or some Gorilla Glue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back