The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Sep 1, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #7,981 of 12,546
[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/3B0RZAD-3Hs[/VIDEO]

I seriously doubt the Beats factory looks anything like this. My DT880 box says Made In Germany, not China. When you have craftsmen who are paid an honest wage for fine work, it will cost good money for the man hours and knowledge. I'll bet anything Beats headphones are made in China, from a generic electronics factory like foxconn.

Sep 1, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #7,982 of 12,546
I seriously doubt the Beats factory looks anything like this.

We could have a look inside an Intel factory and presume that CPUs must cost several thousand $. But really, you get a state-of-the-art piece of incredibly complex hardware for a quarter of the price of a Beyer headphone - a headphone which, as I speculated, is decades old tech.

Sep 1, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #7,983 of 12,546
We could have a look inside an Intel factory and presume that CPUs must cost several thousand $. But really, you get a state-of-the-art piece of incredibly complex hardware for a quarter of the price of a Beyer headphone - a headphone which, as I speculated, is decades old tech.

LOL!
So true!
You can get a very advanced, sophisticated notebook computer for the price of a pair of T1s!

Sep 1, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #7,984 of 12,546
You guys are not trying to price justify a product that is sold in the thousands to one that is sold in the millions...

Sep 1, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #7,985 of 12,546
Hi everybody i'am newbie to this site and to whole audio thing i want to buy a headphone and I've been reading the treads and dt 770 pro 250-dt 880 pro and dt 990 pro looks good considering my budget and availability in my country i listen to all kind of music but mostly rock jazz and classical which of these headphone should i get

Welcome to the forum, mate! Best bet is to test them out somehow. 

I own the DT770 and DT880, I personally love them both, but for jazz and classical I would prefer the DT880.

YMMV.

Sep 1, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #7,986 of 12,546

I paid about the same for an unlocked i7 as my Dt880s. Occasionally CPUs do cost thousands. But you could also reduce those CPUs to chunks of silicon (probably pennies for raw materials) stamped out by a company with decades old knowledge in fabrication and previous investment in production.

Sep 1, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #7,987 of 12,546
[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/3B0RZAD-3Hs[/VIDEO]

I seriously doubt the Beats factory looks anything like this. My DT880 box says Made In Germany, not China. When you have craftsmen who are paid an honest wage for fine work, it will cost good money for the man hours and knowledge. I'll bet anything Beats headphones are made in China, from a generic electronics factory like foxconn.

GOD BLESS ZE GERMANS

Sep 1, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #7,988 of 12,546
The other way to look at it is, would you, today, pay the price of a Core i7 for a ~10 MHz Intel 286? That's what you would've been buying CPU-wise around the time the DT 990 was introduced.

Sep 1, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #7,989 of 12,546
  The other way to look at it is, would you, today, pay the price of a Core i7 for a ~10 MHz Intel 286? That's what you would've been buying CPU-wise around the time the DT 990 was introduced.

Or turn it round again and compare current state of the art.

T1 at 1039.00 Core 7 laptop at 999.00

And entry level (although dismally built) DT1350 at around 200 compared to 350 for a similar low end laptop.

The issue with comparing older headphones is the price performance issue. If that 286 you mentioned was still able to run with the current gen machines it would be a more favourable comparison. The 990 still has a sound people like.

Sep 1, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #7,991 of 12,546
We paid close to $5k for a 1983 IBM XT. It made perfect sense back then. Ironically, the computer I have now doesn't cost nearly as much, but it's way more powerful. Yet it too will be obsolete one day, and not worth the price of a modern system. That's just the way technology works. Audio still benefits from technological advances (I'm sure a headphone from 1983 would have sound limitations too). But the differences between generations are not as vast as with processors. The cost of man hours, workmanship, or quality materials, however, doesn't change over the years for Beyerdynamic (barring inflation) just as Intel's R&D cost doesn't get cheaper over the years because their CPUs become faster.

All of this talk seems kind of mis-targeted to me an yway because I think the Beyers (and specifically the DT880s) give some of the best value in the headphone world. Metal construction. Built like a tank. Beautiful velour pads. Comfy band. Great audio. Handmade. Made by people paid a fair wage. If you don't see the value, there is plenty of competition.   

Sep 1, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #7,992 of 12,546
  We paid close to $5k for a 1983 IBM XT. It made perfect sense back then. Ironically, the computer I have now doesn't cost nearly as much, but it's way more powerful. Yet it too will be obsolete one day, and not worth the price of a modern system. That's just the way technology works. Audio still benefits from technological advances (I'm sure a headphone from 1983 would have sound limitations too). But the differences between generations are not as vast as with processors. The cost of man hours, workmanship, or quality materials, however, doesn't change over the years for Beyerdynamic (barring inflation) just as Intel's R&D cost doesn't get cheaper over the years because their CPUs become faster.

All of this talk seems kind of mis-targeted to me an yway because I think the Beyers (and specifically the DT880s) give some of the best value in the headphone world. Metal construction. Built like a tank. Beautiful velour pads. Comfy band. Great audio. Handmade. Made by people paid a fair wage. If you don't see the value, there is plenty of competition.   

Their price point is even more believable now that there are plenty of headphones marketed by musicians and celebrities that try to command a pretty penny for plastic garbage. Dr. Dre's Studio Beats are priced from $300-$400 and they are made in China. If anything Beyer should be raising their price to reflect that they're made in Germany. But don't tell them i said that.

Sep 1, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #7,993 of 12,546
If anything Beyer should be raising their price to reflect that they're made in Germany. But don't tell them i said that.

Nah, we won't tell them. And nobody in Germany can read English anyway.

tongue.gif

Sep 2, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #7,995 of 12,546
Bah , beyer have better margins with Teslas
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back