The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Sep 9, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #8,011 of 12,546
 "Also since it also inherits the DT880's signature in slow speed, thus these aren't the most ideal for electronic heavy music but still does it very well but with faster speed, could be better of course"

^From the op.
Seen this "slowness" mentioned other places as well... Never been too sure what it meant. Are there any solid state amps that won't make them overly bright? I would prefer to avoid tube amps...

Sep 9, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #8,012 of 12,546
How well does the 600 ohm version handle Bach organ music? Would their "slowness" be a negative?

I'm not a listener of organ music, you should check with Argyris on that. On the question about speed tho, I never found the DT880s to be slow. They're faster than many others that I've listened to; granted it's mostly mid-tier offerings so take that for what it's worth. (I have a list of headphones that I've owned in the past if you want to check my exp.)

Also what amps can be paired with them for under $200 (preferably closer to $100.) Maybe with amping limited to that pricerange I would be better off with the 250ohms?

Off the top of my head, E09K would probably the top recommendation since it's a lot closer to the $100 mark that you're aiming for. Plus, it's slightly warm signature would pair well with the DT880s. It's a long shot but if you can find one, a Audio GD NFB12 used can be had for $150 and under. Great pairing on the cheap. As for the 250ohm, unless you can find the 600ohm version for the same price, you're better off saving the difference and getting the 250ohm.

Would the Schiit Magni or O2 be a bad choice?

Neither are bad but I'd take the O2 over the Magni. When I had both, I found myself gravitating to the O2 more. I found the O2 to be not as bright and less edgy in the highs.

Would I miss anything my old Denon ahd2000's paired with a fiio e 11 offered me? Would mostly be listening to classical with vocal and organ music both being important subgenres to consider.

Number one thing would be sub-bass. DT880 aren't slackers in that department but it's definitely nowhere near what the D2Ks can push out.

Sep 9, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #8,013 of 12,546
  Given that so many people, even experienced posters and reviewers, have reported that they hear little to no difference between the 250 and 600 ohm DT880s, I'd be interested to hear more detail about the differences you heard. Indeed, you seem to be indicating the two versions sound like different models, which is a whole new take on the subject.

Interesting comparison of the 880 and 560, and nice to hear the 880 does so well in such exalted company (even if only the 600 ohm version--sob). The 880 certainly does represent exception value, probably the best on the market right now--a phone at lower to mid-tier prices capable of near top tier performance under the right circumstances. However, I'm not sure that it's 1/7 the price of the 560. Surely 1/4 is closer to the mark.

Well, I wouldn't say I'm an experienced reviewer or anything close to that, but what I'm hearing is simply... impressive.

Okay, so here's the issue...

Out of the Schiit Lyr 2 (stock), the Beyer DT880 Pro 250 Ohm that I heard was brighter than my Hifiman HE-560 with Focus Pads. No question. Many others at that meet also expressed the same opinion, that the DT880 Pro 250 was brighter than the HE-560. Also soundstage was comparably smaller.

Now, I'm in the comfort of my home, with a different source chain, using the DAC of the Fostex HP-P1 with my own DIY solid-state amp, which I know like the back of my hands. The HE-560 has since been outfitted with Focus Pads A instead of the original Focus Pads, and the A pads soften the sound of the HE-560 even more, so it was even darker than how it was. But... this DT880 600 Ohm that I just picked up is even darker than this already darkened HE-560.

Amp synergy? Perhaps. I know my DIY amp has an output impedance that is ridiculously low since the output is directly from the op amp without resistors, etc... in the path. The Schiit Lyr 2 might have a higher output impedance that might have interacted with the impedance curve of the DT880 Pro 250, but... I honestly doubt that given the damping factor is still ridiculously high. And of course the HE-560 is not affected by output impedance at all... being that it's planar magnetic.

So... maybe I'm crazy, but seriously, I'd call this DT880 600 Ohm as being "dark" rather than "bright". And that's why I'm so impressed by it.

you'll have to factor that he picked up the said 880s for 120.
wink.gif
Deal of the year right there.

Busted? But yeah... $120 for a DT880 600 Ohm is an insane deal. 
beerchug.gif

I never did like the HE500. Like listening to the London Symphony in an underground railway. Jerg probably fixed that, but I don't mod $600 headphones, even when I get them for - $$$$. 
smile.gif

Talking about which... I think the HE-560 is a major improvement over the HE-500. It's more open, a bit brighter, and also smoother and less aggressive in the same sense. Overall refinement is simply higher.

Or... how about I compare it to the DT880?

HE-560 gives a bigger imaging, bigger soundstage, slightly more bass impact, slightly more planted and warmer vocals, cleaner sound, better instrument separation, sparklier treble, and slightly less sibilance.

Especially noticeable is the overall cleanliness of the sound. I think that's part of the reason why I feel the DT880 is so dark. The HE-560 is simply cleaner across the whole spectrum.

Even then, I think the DT880 holds its own, and in some cases I actually do prefer the DT880's fluidity over the HE-560's overly quick sound that mercilessly butchers bad recordings.

Sep 9, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #8,014 of 12,546
Why better off with the 250ohm? Because of subpar amping or because there is just little to no difference between them soundwise? Haven't considered either of those amp recommendations before and will be sure to contact this Argyris guy. Thanks!!

Sep 9, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #8,015 of 12,546
Why better off with the 250ohm? Because of subpar amping or because there is just little to no difference between them soundwise? Haven't considered either of those amp recommendations before and will be sure to contact this Argyris guy. Thanks!!
Only due to the small differences between the models. You most likely won't be able to tell the difference.

Sep 9, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #8,021 of 12,546
I sooooooooo wanted to rebuy the dt880s, I even pm'd him right after he posted but, having 2 other cans that I'm trying to move, the wife would not have approved. :D Enjoy them.... but if you're looking to sell them off... give me a pm? :wink:

I actually obtained them because a friend of mine was interested, and I had to jump the gun for him. (Sorry!)

But then... I just had to listen.

Man, it truly is the best DT880 I have heard... to date!

It's like the embodiment of all of the cliche'd 880 reviews like...

Strong bass, present mids, smooth highs, expansive soundstage, etc...

When I first heard the HE-560, I liked how balanced the sound was, and that's why I got it over the LCD-XC, which was the other ortho on my radar at the time.

But this one is just as balanced, or even more so than my HE-560.

So I am thinking hard about whether or not I should just keep it.

Testing my amp aside, it is a very enjoyable headphone.

Talking about which, I am thinking about releasing a commercial version of my amp for the mass market. If there is indeed so little difference between different versions of the DT880, then I guess my amp has good synergy with it. Trying to shoot for $200 final price since any higher and I'll bump into the Crack, which is a very fine piece of work, and also happens to be my reference sound when I'm designing my amp.

Sep 9, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #8,022 of 12,546
 "Also since it also inherits the DT880's signature in slow speed, thus these aren't the most ideal for electronic heavy music but still does it very well but with faster speed, could be better of course"

^From the op.
Seen this "slowness" mentioned other places as well... Never been too sure what it meant. Are there any solid state amps that won't make them overly bright? I would prefer to avoid tube amps...

Well I know what I think it means. You can hear it with definition in individual bass notes, but also, when you have drum rolls for instance, quicker headphones can make it sound snappy and exciting, slow headphones lose that impression.

The 880 is by no means slow though, i don't understand how the OP got that. Maybe he is used to planar headphones. But Sennheiser's HD600 and HD650 are certainly examples of slow headphones.

Sep 9, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #8,024 of 12,546
Talking about which, I am thinking about releasing a commercial version of my amp for the mass market. If there is indeed so little difference between different versions of the DT880, then I guess my amp has good synergy with it. Trying to shoot for $200 final price since any higher and I'll bump into the Crack, which is a very fine piece of work, and also happens to be my reference sound when I'm designing my amp.
Nice, would that be a kit price?

Sep 9, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #8,025 of 12,546
Nice, would that be a kit price?

Well, it'll be a full build. So for roughly around $200 (hopefully less if I can find replacement components for cheaper!), you get something like a souped up O2 but without the battery compartment... because I'm leaving room for sound quality improvements... and expensive components.

I'm planning for it to have enough power to drive pretty much everything in existence... except for the Abyss AB1266 and Hifiman HE-6.

That it has nice synergy with the DT880 even though I have not accounted for it sort of shows that tuning towards the Bottlehead Crack's sound signature is the right decision. I was a big fan of the Crack... and I wished so much for it to be able to drive low impedance headphones better.

If this headphone amp turns out to be nice enough, maybe I'll plan for the next board to be able to attach to the Bottlehead Crack and turn the Crack into a hybrid amp... I just wanted to make sure I understood what it took to make a nice headphone amp before attempting such a thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back