The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Aug 29, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #7,952 of 12,546
Just popping in here again with a somewhat bizarre story with my DT880. Earlier today, while investigating some rattling that sounded like it was coming from inside the right cup, I took off the pad in order to pry off the baffle. And under the pad lip I discovered several casings from (former) insect larvae.

That's right. There were things living in my headphone! Both sides, too, as it turns out. Checking inside both cups, I (thankfully) didn't find anything. The rattling seems to have been coming from the adjuster mechanism on the right side, which is getting a bit loose. It's not an issue once the headphone is properly seated on my head for a while, and it certainly doesn't affect the sound.

But, you know, yuck. I have no idea how long those things were in there, but it's highly likely I was actually using the headphone while the larvae themselves were still present. After this disturbing discovery I decided to give my pads their annual soapy water bath several months early this year. Now they're clean, dry, and hopefully insect-free.

Moral of the story: Clean your pads periodically. Or, at least, check under them from time to time. You just might find some unwanted guests.

Also, now I know how this guy must have felt:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/609792/ants-in-my-stax-should-i-worry

Aug 29, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #7,953 of 12,546
  Just popping in here again with a somewhat bizarre story with my DT880. Earlier today, while investigating some rattling that sounded like it was coming from inside the right cup, I took off the pad in order to pry off the baffle. And under the pad lip I discovered several casings from (former) insect larvae.

That's right. There were things living in my headphone! Both sides, too, as it turns out. Checking inside both cups, I (thankfully) didn't find anything. The rattling seems to have been coming from the adjuster mechanism on the right side, which is getting a bit loose. It's not an issue once the headphone is properly seated on my head for a while, and it certainly doesn't affect the sound.

But, you know, yuck. I have no idea how long those things were in there, but it's highly likely I was actually using the headphone while the larvae themselves were still present. After this disturbing discovery I decided to give my pads their annual soapy water bath several months early this year. Now they're clean, dry, and hopefully insect-free.

Moral of the story: Clean your pads periodically. Or, at least, check under them from time to time. You just might find some unwanted guests.

Oh man. That is rough.

I am looking at my collection through suspicious eyes now. Don't think I'll be listening to any music tonight!

Aug 29, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #7,955 of 12,546
Thank God the only thing I've found in my headphone cups were just lint. I did find some glitter in my d2000s tho. Previous owner didn't even try to clean them up before I bought them.

Never know she/he may been the one who put it in there.

Aug 29, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #7,956 of 12,546

Never know she/he may been the one who put it in there.

Wouldn't that be a "shim"... 
eek.gif

Aug 29, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #7,960 of 12,546

That was very painful to watch.

Aug 30, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #7,962 of 12,546
I have the dt880 pros 600 ohm and the xonar essence STU and am looking for a headphone amp. I was looking at the Fiio E09k. Does it make sense to buy the E09k if I do not plan on buying the E17? Thanks

The E09k doesn't have to be used with the E17, but there are other choice's for amp's like the one's from schiit audio like the vali and the magni.

Aug 30, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #7,963 of 12,546
I have the dt880 pros 600 ohm and the xonar essence STU and am looking for a headphone amp. I was looking at the Fiio E09k. Does it make sense to buy the E09k if I do not plan on buying the E17? Thanks

Personally, I like the 600 Ohm DT880s with the E09K amp!
But I have no idea if it is actually an upgrade from the STU......:confused_face_2:

Aug 30, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #7,964 of 12,546
I doubt it would be a upgrade to the STU, it might even be a side-grade. But then I never had the STU. So I wouldn't know my self. When I did have a DT880 premium 600, I didn't have them at the time that I had the First rev Fiio E09's.

Aug 30, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #7,965 of 12,546
^^^Thanks for the replies... It's not so much that the STU sounds bad, it's great! But I would like it to be louder, even at full blast with the gain switch on it seems to not power the Dt880's 600 ohms as much as I would like. So I guess I just need an amp for volume?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back