The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Feb 15, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #6,511 of 12,546
I want to share an observation with all of you. As we all know, the DT880s are unforgiving when it comes to poorly mastered albums. For instance, this can come in the form of music that was too compressed, and music that clips, along with other things I am sure. I have always had trouble with what appeared to be a type of high frequency which would not be comfortable for me to listen too. I thought this was an inherent defect with my ears, even though this is not common for me. I am discovering that allot can be explained by music that was mastered and allowed to go into clipping. I think some headphones "gloss" over this feature of the music, which is usually subtle to begin with. I think the resulting effect may be music that is "colored" and less clear (detailed) sounding.

I have moved from the Fidelia player to the Audirvana Plus player for the Mac OS. I will not go into the details since this is not a Adirvana thread. However, I have found that this player handles clipped music particularly well with no apparent loss in detail. The same clipped music does not make my ears uncomfortable, even when this clipping can be obvious to me at times. So there is some audio signal processing going on here that modifies the sound. I think all players "color" or alter the sound in various ways, some more than others. That is how they make their product appeal to others. But I am finding that there are some players that appear to do a better job at it than the others, without any *obvious* sacrifice in sound quality.

Bob Graham

PS: I do find the highs emphasized a bit, for more apparent clarity.

Feb 15, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #6,512 of 12,546
I have no problem with Fidelia on my C2D, I have used it since day one... But the only EQ I do is knock a littlte of the 6.5K region down with the DT880's, no EQ with the GMP's or Ultrasone's. Any music I have that pegs the meters full throught most of the song or clips anywhere gets deleted and a different version / remaster sought out.

Feb 15, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #6,513 of 12,546
I have no problem with Fidelia on my C2D, I have used it since day one... But the only EQ I do is knock a littlte of the 6.5K region down with the DT880's, no EQ with the GMP's or Ultrasone's. Any music I have that pegs the meters full throught most of the song or clips anywhere gets deleted and a different version / remaster sought out.

I have an O2D, and I end up performing the same EQ. That is a good idea to look for a better mastered version of the songs that do not clip. The Bob Seiger Hollywood Nights on the album that I have has allot of large areas of clipping throughout the track. I am impressed with Fidelia. I suspect it may be more accurate than Audrvana, the "integer mode" non-withstanding. And Fidelia only cost me $20. Furthermore, I can be playing a song while I change the settings of my plugins.

Bob Graham

Feb 16, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #6,514 of 12,546
Is it my imagination, or do allot of these "remastered" albums end up being too compressed and lacking in dynamics. I think I remember the originals on vinyl not sounding so "flat", particularly with the vocals. That was a long time ago. But then it may be these unforgiving headphones.

Must be my imagination.

Bob Graham

Yes, sir! You're not crazy.

A lot of them are over compressed.

Feb 16, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #6,515 of 12,546
Yes, sir! You're not crazy.

A lot of them are over compressed.

I am finding that out. My biggest complaints are music that goes into clipping allot, and over-compressed music. I am sure as I develop my critical listening skills I will be able to discern more flaws in the recording and mastering process. The DT880s will make that possible.

Bob Graham

PS: Add to that pianos that are not miced properly

Feb 16, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #6,516 of 12,546
I've done the unthinkable!
I have posted my Beyer DT880/600 Ohm headphones for sale!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/706009/beyer-dynamic-dt880-600-ohm

How much do these typically sell for?

Feb 16, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #6,517 of 12,546
  I've done the unthinkable!
I have posted my Beyer DT880/600 Ohm headphones for sale!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/706009/beyer-dynamic-dt880-600-ohm

How much do these typically sell for?

eww I sold my pair with a $200 recable for $225 I'd shoot for about $175 or so for yours 

Feb 16, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #6,519 of 12,546
I bought mine for about 200, regularly see the 600ohms go for about that much as well. glws tho.

E: Don't listen to Shenay, he's just trying to rebuy the 880s again for cheap.
tongue.gif

Basically it looks like I have to pull my pants down a bit lower!  
eek.gif

Feb 17, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #6,520 of 12,546
^^^ That would not be a pretty site. :D

I am right now awake at 2 AM needing to get up at 6 AM. I think I have insomnia. But is this true? Maybe I am enjoying myself too much with my DT880s?

I have noticed an improvement in listening pleasure by choosing the right music player on my Mac. Sure, most of the differences between players IMO are imagined by their users, when it just might be a mild difference in EQ processing, for example, boosting some high frequencies to give the illusion of detail and.clarity. But there may be something to this integer mode supported by some players.

I am finding it difficult to believe there are headphones that can sound much better than my simple and affordable setup!

Bob Graham

Feb 17, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #6,521 of 12,546
Hey guys
I have a question from ones who listen to Rock&Metal (espesially more technical ones) with their dt880.
I'm kinda afraid of the treble in dt880s. For giving a refrence to you, i can not bear ex1000 treble. I want more treble than my w4r and sony z1000. I'm ok with the treble of ie8 and ie80.
I'm not very ok with the treble of er4s ( although I can bear that),
According to what i said, do you think that dt880 would be a great match for me? Or mayb I should go to hd600?

Feb 17, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #6,524 of 12,546
Hey guys
I have a question from ones who listen to Rock&Metal (espesially more technical ones) with their dt880.
I'm kinda afraid of the treble in dt880s. For giving a refrence to you, i can not bear ex1000 treble. I want more treble than my w4r and sony z1000. I'm ok with the treble of ie8 and ie80.
According to what i said, do you think that dt880 would be a great match for me? Or mayb I should go to hd600?

I think they are a very balanced phone for that type of music.
The treble is very personal, but I've never thought them to be a bright 'phone, or thought they had excess treble.
Any chance you can try a pair before you buy?
Or buy a used pair, if you don't like them (you will probably like them) you can sell them for what you paid for them, they're already used!

Feb 17, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #6,525 of 12,546
Hey guys

I listen to Rock/Metal. I find the DT880 brighter than other hp I try, but not unbearable. I tried Vmoda-100, HD600, HD650 and end up liking the DT880 & HD600. They're very enjoyable for these genres. very satisfy that I bought this hp.
Except for this 1 pop song though, I had to take the hp off because the treble beat was too much for me the first time I hear it. Try this song with your other hp/iem (play in HD), if you don't find it too bright then I think you're good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back