The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Feb 8, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #6,436 of 12,546
I ain't sticking $250 tubes into a $300 amp! :eek: that's just insane!

Especially since there is no guaranty of synergy! For example, the JAN Sylvana 6922s that I really like in my Sonic Frontiers SFS40 were edgy and abrasive in Valhalla.

Feb 8, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #6,437 of 12,546
Especially since there is no guaranty of synergy! For example, the JAN Sylvana 6922s that I really like in my Sonic Frontiers SFS40 were edgy and abrasive in Valhalla.

Sonic Frontiers:
nice stuff!
I used to own a pair of SFM-75 Mk II mono blocs.

Feb 8, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #6,438 of 12,546
Sonic Frontiers:
nice stuff!
I used to own a pair of SFM-75 Mk II mono blocs.

Thumbs up on those. (and mfg in your country!!!)

Feb 8, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #6,439 of 12,546
I feel bad distracting from the tubes discussion, however.... this is just the coolest track I've ever heard

http://open.spotify.com/track/2KitCEg8ou3TayzJS5Bgjo
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/le-goudron-bobby-birdman-remix/id524802530?i=524802798
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0081PH81A

Listening on my DT880s of course.

biggrin.gif

Feb 9, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #6,440 of 12,546
MShenay was, nfb10. And knightboy. don't know what he was using.

e: In the end, Shenay said he couldn't tell the difference between the 880 balanced vs SE.

not entirely 

I have no way of testing Se headphones VS balanced Headphones, but my Balanced Amp sounded a heck of a lot better than my SE amp did. In terms of headphones there really is no way to test a SE Dt 880 VS a balanced DT 880, since each would need a different amp. IF you try to compare the SE OUtput of an AudioGD amp to the Balanced outPut it's obivious that the Balanced out put of the Balanced amp sounds better than the SE

I like many others, feel there are sonic improvements in balanced ampflication, for example my iBasso pb1 [balanced] VASTLY outperformed the JDS Labs C5 both of which costed the same

and in a related side note, before I sold it, my Stock pb1 [balanced out] was on par with my Pb2 [Lme 49990 Se out] so my conclusion a $150 balanced amp was on the level on a Op Rolled $300 SE, my point being balanced amps compete very nicely again'st their SE counter parts, at least that's what I have found. For example my Pb1 [balanced out] sounded better than my M Matrix M Stage. Both had about the same amount of power on tap to. Granted the M Stage was a tad quiter

So, if you have a DT 880. I highly recommend you change your amps to balanced, I liked it and I'm stickin wid it.

And there is no way to compare "balanced Headphones" to "se headphones" because the amps u run them on will be different. Or rather, the circuits for the amps are vastly different, and at teh end of the day it all boils down to again the Amp. The headphone's termination won't change it's sound. The amp your powering it will 

Even Dan of Mr Speakers, liked his MD with the PB1 DB1 balanced combo, so again my conclusion is Balanced or Se, is more a question of amplification than anything. 

Feb 10, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #6,442 of 12,546
Feb 10, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #6,443 of 12,546
Hey guys I was thinking about buying a pair of DT880 600 ohm and building myself a Bottlehead Crack OTL to compare to my 250 ohm and solid state Asgard 2 setup. The winner stays and the loser gets sold as a combo. My other option is that I go to a Head-fi meet in Los Angeles coming up in March next month and hopefully find a person in that thread who has both which is plausible because this is perhaps the largest Head-fi meet in the USA

Feb 10, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #6,444 of 12,546
  I hope your SE amp doesn't use Negative Feedback.
'cos Audio GD hates Negative Feedback!   
eek.gif

Seriously, any more thoughts on the DTs?

I heard my name! But yeah I use the kkmaster described in my signature. Its made by the chinese company octavart and it's original purpose (as the name suggests) was for the akg k1000. But the manufacture of this dac/amp has several different mods for it modded just for the dt880 T1 hd800 k702 k701 he6 etc....The famous headphones....I have the hd800 mod as it was originally intended for my old hd800. But they still do stellar with the dt880. People have done side by sides with weiss dac2 + a diy dac equivalent of beta22. (all of them were done in Chinese)...and basically what stood out was that the musicality of it was stellar. SO THERE YOU GO.

Feb 10, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #6,445 of 12,546
This headphone is pretty cool, but the inconsistency in reverb(?) between the bass and mids/treble bothers me a lot.
I picked up the 600-ohm version.

Feb 10, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #6,446 of 12,546
  This headphone is pretty cool, but the inconsistency in reverb(?) between the bass and mids/treble bothers me a lot.
I picked up the 600-ohm version.

You're going to have to elaborate on that. :)

You mean you're perceiving more or different distortion in the bass than you are in the mids and treble and its bothering you?

Can't say I've ever had an experience that could be described in that way. If you could explain it further that'd be great.

Feb 10, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #6,447 of 12,546

You're going to have to elaborate on that. :)

You mean you're perceiving more or different distortion in the bass than you are in the mids and treble and its bothering you?

Can't say I've ever had an experience that could be described in that way. If you could explain it further that'd be great.

It's the reverb, not some kind of "distortion".

Feb 10, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #6,448 of 12,546

It's the reverb, not some kind of "distortion".

Sorry, just not following you. Reverb is an effect applied to instruments and audio signals, its not normally something associated with headphone performance. Just trying to figure out what you're describing because I'm interested. Do you mean that tracks that use reverb sound weird to you on your 880s?

Feb 10, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #6,449 of 12,546
Ahh, I understand now, you mean resonance right? My bad, you were using the word correctly I just wasn't understanding it properly.

So you're saying you're noticing a difference in the resonance between the bass and the mids/highs? Can't say I've noticed anything like that before but I don't doubt you.

Feb 10, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #6,450 of 12,546
I recently got the Amperior and I had the same experience with them-- the bass was obviously resonant, noticeably more-so than the other frequencies, and that sounded a bit strange but I wasn't surprised seeing as they are a small closed on-ear.

Like I said, I've never noticed this issue with the 880s but I don't doubt your experience. Personally I perceive little to no resonance in the DT880 but I'm no expert at spotting it. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back