The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Feb 1, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #6,331 of 12,546
  Soon getting my first good headphones. I am receiving an amp but still unsure if the DAC will improve audible differences, otherwise going to power them using my laptop. What do you guys think?

Considering that you haven't told us:
 - which headphones
 - which dac/amp
 - which model laptop
And there is nothing in your profile either ...... then asking us for an opinion is like asking about ....

'a blind man's opinion of a black cat ..... in a pitch dark room ....... which isn't actually there ......" 
wink.gif

Seriously though - welcome to Head-Fi.  You'll get more accurate answers the more info you provide.  With your post - you haven't actually given us anything we could comment on.

Feb 1, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #6,332 of 12,546
Thanks for your ultra swift replies. 

Quote:
  $30 Dac, should make a nice upgrade to your laptops onboard dac. In it's simplest form, a dac should provide a clean signal to an amp. Your onBoard laptop's Headphone out is already amped, and is most likyle noisy as all tar.

I know my Laptop a fairly nice, 2013 Acer [i3 processor]  sounded better with the UAC acting as a USB sound card. Most obviously was noise, a lot less hissing. That Dac has a RCA out, You can use it, additionally you can use the sPdif Out to pass through to nicer dacs, I tested my Audio GD Through my the USB on my PC and out of the UAC 202 sPdif out, there wasn't a big differance if any at all, and with FooBar I could use WASAPAI out with both USB directly to my Audio GD and with the UAC ACting as a usb to sPdif feed 

So the Beringher UAC 202 is my favorite budget dac, the chip inside is fairly nice, but it can pass digitial audio through it self to a nicer dac if you ever upgrade an do not want to hassle with drivers 

Although I am new to the audiophile world, I have read more about this unit than I can count. I have looked into it, and I actually believe my laptop DAC would be giving almost the same performance as this DAC, since this DAC has been out there for quite some time and the DAC in the laptop should be newer. As for any electrical noise, when I connect my earphones and make the sound go all the way up, I don't hear any. But I see where you are coming from, and I have heard many positive things about this unit. I will appreciate your input for any newer DACs in the range of $200. Please read below for further info.

Considering that you haven't told us:
 - which headphones
 - which dac/amp
 - which model laptop
And there is nothing in your profile either ...... then asking us for an opinion is like asking about ....

'a blind man's opinion of a black cat ..... in a pitch dark room ....... which isn't actually there ......" 
wink.gif

Seriously though - welcome to Head-Fi.  You'll get more accurate answers the more info you provide.  With your post - you haven't actually given us anything we could comment on.

My bad, quite appropriate use of that maxim. 
I have Beyer DT880 (250 ohms), the laptop is Thinkpad T530. I have been looking up for the audio chipset used in this laptop, but I can only come across it being Realtek High Definition Audio. After some search on google, I was able to find that Realtek ALC269 is used in some other thinkpad models which came out during the same time. The datasheets and description can be found here-
http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/productsView.aspx?Langid=1&PFid=27&Level=5&Conn=4&ProdID=166

As I mentioned above, there is actually zero noise coming from the headphone out with the volume levels at maximum. I am receiving an amp from Currawong (Mr. Amos Barnett), Otomatsu BDR-HP01E which has RCA inputs and balanced+unbalanced XLR combo jack output. I might upgrade the headphones in the near future for utilizing those balanced outputs. Hence, I think the DAC will the weakest point in the chain. I am also considering building a DIY DAC, though I am still to look into some good options.

Any input will be appreciated.
Thanks.

Feb 1, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #6,333 of 12,546
Well I guess the next thing to ask would be what your budget is, and then if it needs to be semi portable (ie USB powered unit).

But anyway - addressing the obvious.  Here's what I found quickly searching for the BDR-HP1OE

InputStereo RCA in-balanced line signal
OutputStereo XLR Balanced X 1 or Un balanced 
1/4 inch phone x 2  or capable to drive XLR input power amplifier
Frequency Response5Hz - 80Hz
Total Harmonic Distortion + Noise0.0046% @ 40Ω load
Output power1600mW x 2 max. @40Ω
Headphone Impedance16Ω - 300Ω
VoltageAC 100V - 120V 50-60Hz
SizeW230mm x D180mm x H50mm

Specs look pretty good, and more than enough power for the DT880 250 ohm.  If it was me - I'd get the amp, and then see how your chain sounds.  If you're getting noise or interference once the signal is actually amplified - then come back here with a budget in mind, and you can get more guidance.

From my (admittedly limited) experience so far - the order of SQ differential (ie biggest to least change to sound) will be:
Headphones >>> Amp >>> DAC.

For the short-term, you may not need to go much further than you already have.

Feb 1, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #6,334 of 12,546
 Well I guess the next thing to ask would be what your budget is, and then if it needs to be semi portable (ie USB powered unit).

Sound quality is bigger factor than portability. I have heard that USB power can be haphazard and can influence sound quality but I am considering both options. Budget is upto $200, but can pull out more if there is audible difference. I am probably gonna build a dedicated power supply DIY unit. Still have to research for options.

Feb 1, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #6,335 of 12,546
Hey guys.

Quick report after owning the DT880 for two weeks. Been using them with Odac/Schiit Valhalla and I can confirm that most of the talk about the DT880 being lean, overly bright, lacking bass and so on is seriously blown out of proportion. 

Feb 1, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #6,336 of 12,546
  Hey guys.

Quick report after owning the DT880 for two weeks. Been using them with Odac/Schiit Valhalla and I can confirm that most of the talk about the DT880 being lean, overly bright, lacking bass and so on is seriously blown out of proportion. 

Yeah, I have seen the frequency response over at headphone.com and it seems that only between the frequencies of 7kHz to 10kHz, its slightly more (+5dB max) louder than the reference level. All other high frequencies are actually below the reference level. 

Which DAC did you find better between ODAC and Valhalla? 

Feb 1, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #6,337 of 12,546
Soon getting my first good headphones. I am receiving an amp but still unsure if the DAC will improve audible differences, otherwise going to power them using my laptop. What do you guys think?

I think the answer is: it depends.
Some laptops have a pretty decent DAC in them.
And some have crappy DAC.

How much do you want to spend?

Nevermind.
Looks like the question was already answered.....:confused_face_2:

Feb 2, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #6,339 of 12,546
  Sound quality is bigger factor than portability. I have heard that USB power can be haphazard and can influence sound quality but I am considering both options. Budget is upto $200, but can pull out more if there is audible difference. I am probably gonna build a dedicated power supply DIY unit. Still have to research for options.

Check out the JDS Labs ODAC / C5D, Fiio E07k / E17 / E18. And many people here like stacking Schiit Modi + Vali. Personally I'm using the Fiio X3, its main purpose is a music player, but still have a DAC+AMP option to plug in to your laptop. I have the Lenovo T430. My 880/250 can go really loud at 35% volume, no distortion, but doesn't produce full bass with the laptop output. I have to say getting an AMP and a DAC is totally worth it.  At first I didn't hear much different, but when I listen through a DAC long enough, then go back to my laptop output, I'd feel the quality decreases, not much because I'm using a budget DAC, but still noticeable. 

Feb 2, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #6,340 of 12,546
  Check out the JDS Labs ODAC / C5D, Fiio E07k / E17 / E18. And many people here like stacking Schiit Modi + Vali. Personally I'm using the Fiio X3, its main purpose is a music player, but still have a DAC+AMP option to plug in to your laptop, and it was on sale for only $140. I have the Lenovo T430. My 880/250 can go really loud at 35% volume, no distortion, but doesn't produce full bass with the laptop output. I have to say getting an AMP and a DAC is totally worth it.  At first I didn't hear much different, but when I listen through a DAC long enough, then go back to my laptop output, I'd feel the quality decreases, not much because I'm using a budget DAC, but still noticeable. 

I am sure Thinkpad T430 will have the same audio chipset as mine. That's very helpful, thanks. 

Feb 2, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #6,341 of 12,546
Originally Posted by i luvmusic 2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't have K702 but i have Q701 with bass port mod and DT880 600 ohms they compliment each other.

Do you mean like:

Q701: 'Hello, DT880, you're looking well today.'

DT880: 'Thanks, Q701, you're looking pretty chipper yourself.'

Or do you mean complement, as in:  a. Something that completes, makes up a whole.

biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2014 at 4:48 AM Post #6,343 of 12,546
..... Obviously!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back