The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Jan 1, 2014 at 5:24 AM Post #6,017 of 12,546
I'll try to keep this as concise as possible, but here's what's going on with me and my DT880 600:

Bought a used one from Amazon's Used Warehouse back in early November, it arrived with no sound of the left side. With help I discovered that it's a dead left driver. I decided that I'd get a replacement driver and have it installed by a fellow Australian Head-Fi member (who currently has my DT880s). I got Amazon to give me a partial refund to cover the cost of the replacement driver (Amazon's famous good service :) ). I had arranged for Beyer's AU distributor to order me in a new driver, and after a week I asked them how long it was going to take, which I was told it would be late January for arrival (this was back around the 20th of Dec or so).

That was way too long of a wait, so I told them to forget about and decided to order directly from Beyer US (especially since they would ship it immediately). I contacted them, and it was going to be a good $10-15 cheaper so that was nice, I filled out the order form and I received a reply telling me that they didn't realise I was in Australia, and that the shipping would be $75 instead of $12 (and $63 for the driver). Now, that's just a ludicrous shipping quote. There is absolutely no reason it would cost $75 to send a headphone driver. I asked them if they could send it cheaper, and I got no reply. I emailed them a few days later saying that I never heard back, asking once again (and explaining why it was reasonable, and explaining the delay with their AU distributor) if they could send it for under $20. It's been over a week, no reply.

I don't know if they're just ignoring me, but I'm very unimpressed with the service! Not only the crappy communication, but the pure inflation of the shipping cost. If they don't get back to me, I might have to go crawling back to the AU distributor and just deal with having to wait until the end of January. That means by the time the distributor gets the driver, sends it to the guy doing the repair, the repair gets done and I have it shipped to me, it'll have been 3 months since I got the headphones before I finally get to hear what these babies actually sound like. And I thought it was bad having to get through packaging before using a headphone!
eek.gif
I sure hope they're worth it, with everything I've gone through with these headphones, I'll be bitterly disappointed if I end up not even liking them.

I'm actually wondering if it might be quicker to get an American Headfier to help me out? Maybe I could get someone to buy a driver for me and forward it on to me. Like I told Beyer, if it's packed efficiently (but enough to protect it sufficiently, of course) it wouldn't be anywhere near $75.

Jan 1, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #6,018 of 12,546
  I'll try to keep this as concise as possible, but here's what's going on with me and my DT880 600:

Bought a used one from Amazon's Used Warehouse back in early November, it arrived with no sound of the left side. With help I discovered that it's a dead left driver. I decided that I'd get a replacement driver and have it installed by a fellow Australian Head-Fi member (who currently has my DT880s). I got Amazon to give me a partial refund to cover the cost of the replacement driver (Amazon's famous good service :) ). I had arranged for Beyer's AU distributor to order me in a new driver, and after a week I asked them how long it was going to take, which I was told it would be late January for arrival (this was back around the 20th of Dec or so).

That was way too long of a wait, so I told them to forget about and decided to order directly from Beyer US (especially since they would ship it immediately). I contacted them, and it was going to be a good $10-15 cheaper so that was nice, I filled out the order form and I received a reply telling me that they didn't realise I was in Australia, and that the shipping would be $75 instead of $12 (and $63 for the driver). Now, that's just a ludicrous shipping quote. There is absolutely no reason it would cost $75 to send a headphone driver. I asked them if they could send it cheaper, and I got no reply. I emailed them a few days later saying that I never heard back, asking once again (and explaining why it was reasonable, and explaining the delay with their AU distributor) if they could send it for under $20. It's been over a week, no reply.

I don't know if they're just ignoring me, but I'm very unimpressed with the service! Not only the crappy communication, but the pure inflation of the shipping cost. If they don't get back to me, I might have to go crawling back to the AU distributor and just deal with having to wait until the end of January. That means by the time the distributor gets the driver, sends it to the guy doing the repair, the repair gets done and I have it shipped to me, it'll have been 3 months since I got the headphones before I finally get to hear what these babies actually sound like. And I thought it was bad having to get through packaging before using a headphone!
eek.gif
I sure hope they're worth it, with everything I've gone through with these headphones, I'll be bitterly disappointed if I end up not even liking them.

I'm actually wondering if it might be quicker to get an American Headfier to help me out? Maybe I could get someone to buy a driver for me and forward it on to me. Like I told Beyer, if it's packed efficiently (but enough to protect it sufficiently, of course) it wouldn't be anywhere near $75.

I think you will be overwhelmed by the clarity of these headphones. They seem to do everything right to me and I've been to Head-fi meets to do A/B comparisons with $1000+ headphones. I will tell you that the Sennheiser HD800s sound brighter than the DT880s and while their sound stage is superior to the DT880s I couldn't agree that everything else about them justifies their $1400 price tag. The LCD-3's on the other hand are in another league when it comes to natural sound IMO. The DT880s still win in comfort though. There is a law of diminishing returns that moves exponentially when comparing $400 headphones to $1500 headphones. Flagship headphones should always sound better than their older siblings but HOW MUCH better is the question and is it worth the cost? You be the judge. I don't believe HD800s are worth the cost of admission however I do like the LCD-3's and Alpha Dogs. They are both incredibly resolving and the ADs isolate well and are the most comfortable closed headphones I've ever had the pleasure of wearing.

Another note** I've never had the chance to try out the T1's. I've been waiting for the next meet to finally get to hear the "ultimate" DT880.

Jan 1, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #6,019 of 12,546
I'm mainly worried about them being too bright, and lacking body through the midrange. When I had them, before I sent them off for repairs, with what I could tell only having the right side to listen to, they sounded too bright and thin. However, I'm not making any conclusions off that at all, as from my experience headphones get quite a lot brighter and thinner when listening only with one ear, in general. The only reason I'm worried is because brightness and a lack of body are things commonly complained about, and it certainly sounded noticeably brighter and thinner than the CAL with one ear... So we'll see. However, there were promising things that I could tell for certain from the right side.

I was quite impressed with their speed and cleanliness. Also the detail and texture was quite noteworthy, definitely more-so than my other headphones I've owned. Another complaint about the DT880 you see is a lack of bass, but for my tastes (and what I could tell from the right side) it sounded very nice! It reached very low, was very tight and well defined and so well separated from everything else (though that's supposed to apply to the DT880 throughout). Definitely not weak at all, just not very (if at all) emphasized. Nice and linear. It's the most balanced bass I've personally heard from a headphone. I have eclectic music tastes, which include Hip Hop and Electronica, but even for those uses I don't like MASSIVE bass as so many beginners do. It just sounds unnatural, so I think the DT880 might fare OK with those genres for me, I hope. Also, my previous few headphones have been closed, and I've missed that airy, open sound that open headphones have. The DT880 certainly has that in spades.

Note, that my listening was done from my Audio GD NFB15.32, which has a solid state amp. From what I heard (and have read / been advised) it's more than capable to amp the DT880 600s, but I know that the DT880 has a nearly unanimous reputation for needing tubes. So, when I finally get to hear them, if I think they're within my tolerance levels but would benefit from some taming in the treble and some added warmth and body, then I'll invest in an OTL Tube Amp. I've done my homework on that front and am strongly leaning towards the La Figaro (Darkvoice, but allegedly better) 336c.  $280US shipped seems fair. It'd be nice to have both a tube and solid state at my disposal. I read a review comparing it to the Bottlehead Crack and it apparently fared very well in comparison.

The headphones also are solidly built, and from the short amount of time I've worn them, seem very comfortable. The foam/fabric insert on the left side just touches my ear, but I don't think it'd be enough for any significant issues. I believe they'll pass just fine for all day use.

So, fingers crossed.

Jan 1, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #6,020 of 12,546
  I'm mainly worried about them being too bright, and lacking body through the midrange. When I had them, before I sent them off for repairs, with what I could tell only having the right side to listen to, they sounded too bright and thin. However, I'm not making any conclusions off that at all, as from my experience headphones get quite a lot brighter and thinner when listening only with one ear, in general. The only reason I'm worried is because brightness and a lack of body are things commonly complained about, and it certainly sounded noticeably brighter and thinner than the CAL with one ear... So we'll see. However, there were promising things that I could tell for certain from the right side.

I was quite impressed with their speed and cleanliness. Also the detail and texture was quite noteworthy, definitely more-so than my other headphones I've owned. Another complaint about the DT880 you see is a lack of bass, but for my tastes (and what I could tell from the right side) it sounded very nice! It reached very low, was very tight and well defined and so well separated from everything else (though that's supposed to apply to the DT880 throughout). Definitely not weak at all, just not very (if at all) emphasized. Nice and linear. It's the most balanced bass I've personally heard from a headphone. I have eclectic music tastes, which include Hip Hop and Electronica, but even for those uses I don't like MASSIVE bass as so many beginners do. It just sounds unnatural, so I think the DT880 might fare OK with those genres for me, I hope. Also, my previous few headphones have been closed, and I've missed that airy, open sound that open headphones have. The DT880 certainly has that in spades.

Note, that my listening was done from my Audio GD NFB15.32, which has a solid state amp. From what I heard (and have read / been advised) it's more than capable to amp the DT880 600s, but I know that the DT880 has a nearly unanimous reputation for needing tubes. So, when I finally get to hear them, if I think they're within my tolerance levels but would benefit from some taming in the treble and some added warmth and body, then I'll invest in an OTL Tube Amp. I've done my homework on that front and am strongly leaning towards the La Figaro (Darkvoice, but allegedly better) 336c.  $280US shipped seems fair. It'd be nice to have both a tube and solid state at my disposal. I read a review comparing it to the Bottlehead Crack and it apparently fared very well in comparison.

The headphones also are solidly built, and from the short amount of time I've worn them, seem very comfortable. The foam/fabric insert on the left side just touches my ear, but I don't think it'd be enough for any significant issues. I believe they'll pass just fine for all day use.

So, fingers crossed.

I found that I was able to resolve the probelm of the fabric touching my ear by adjusting the positioning on my head. So play around with the cups and see if can make it more comfortable.

Jan 1, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #6,021 of 12,546
Yeah, I found that, too. Wearing the headphones more forward (so that my ear is near the back) seems to give me more room.

Jan 1, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #6,022 of 12,546
Yeah, I found that, too. Wearing the headphones more forward (so that my ear is near the back) seems to give me more room.

This is good practice with headphones in general. It usually results in better imaging and a bit more bass, along with any inherent comfort advantages.

Jan 1, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #6,023 of 12,546
I've never noticed it improving imaging or bass response (though I want to test this now), however I can think of a headphone I've owned where wearing it forward was actually detrimental to the sound. The Ultrasone HFI-2400. This was because the driver was not in the middle of the cup, it was near the front. If your ears were at the rear, then the sound would muddy up and the mids would recess noticeably.

Jan 1, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #6,024 of 12,546
Yep I had the same experience with the PRO 750 and PRO 900. Because of the non-standard placement of the drivers ("S-Logic") I found that the mids were extremely recessed unless I wore them further back on my head so that the drivers were better aligned with my ears.

Jan 1, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #6,025 of 12,546

So, fingers crossed.

I must totally echo your impressions of the bass from the DT 880s. I have had the pleasure of owning the 880s with both a really well paired OTL amp (Valhalla) and a very capable SS amp (Auditor). Like you I listen to a wide variety of music which also includes electronica and when using the 880s with all the genres I listen to the 880s present a very, very well done low frequency response. I think you nailed their character bang on. I owned the HD 650 at the same time, and had been a Grado user (among other examples over the years as well so I have a decent enough comparison base to use. I really enjoyed the 880s for everything, but the bass capabilities were really a strong selling point for me (along with very good clarity). Overall for me what stands out is that the 880s do a fantastic job remaining musical while still doing quite a respectable job at neutrality. Hard to balance these important aspects of sound quality much better than the 880s do without spending a significant amount more money. The 880s certainly punch well through their price point versus performance in my opinion.

Jan 1, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #6,026 of 12,546
Took my La Figaro 339 out of storage to try with DT-800/600ohm. Simply sensational from treble to bass! Will give the T1 another go this weekend using this amp instead of my SS amps. (Two previous auditions of T1 were disappointing.) Still think the 880 is very, very special due to its neutrality--whether with tube or SS amps.
The LF 339 also drives the AKG 712 extremely well. This was a surprise considering their low impedance. Glad I procrastinated with the 339 and never put it up for sale.

Jan 1, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #6,027 of 12,546

I must totally echo your impressions of the bass from the DT 880s. I have had the pleasure of owning the 880s with both a really well paired OTL amp (Valhalla) and a very capable SS amp (Auditor). Like you I listen to a wide variety of music which also includes electronica and when using the 880s with all the genres I listen to the 880s present a very, very well done low frequency response. I think you nailed their character bang on. I owned the HD 650 at the same time, and had been a Grado user (among other examples over the years as well so I have a decent enough comparison base to use. I really enjoyed the 880s for everything, but the bass capabilities were really a strong selling point for me (along with very good clarity). Overall for me what stands out is that the 880s do a fantastic job remaining musical while still doing quite a respectable job at neutrality. Hard to balance these important aspects of sound quality much better than the 880s do without spending a significant amount more money. The 880s certainly punch well through their price point versus performance in my opinion.

I've also been a grado owner with the 225i, and that's a really flawed headphone (sonically and otherwise) but I must say that since I got rid of them I've always missed that super clean presentation of bass. The DT880 has that cleanliness, tightness and speed but without the steep rolloff into the sub-bass and with more overall balance/authority which I admire greatly. The treble is far less ridiculous, too, and there's an actual soundstage. Not to mention comfort and build being a trillion times better.

I just really want to like these headphones because from what I've read, they seem to have neutrality and articulation down better than anything else affordable for a student like me. I really appreciate a headphone than can reach very low and very high like the DT880 can, as well as be quick and clean. If I don't like it, I was planning on looking at the HD650. The PX100ii is my current portable headphone, and it's actually one of my favourite headphones period. I love it's sound, and measurements suggest that the HD650 might be like a full size hifi version of it. But knowing that it's slower, less extended and less detailed than the DT880 would still be annoying to deal with.

Here's hoping the DT880 isn't too bright/thin/sterile for me! Tubes might just be my saviour on this one!

Jan 2, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #6,028 of 12,546

I've also been a grado owner with the 225i, and that's a really flawed headphone (sonically and otherwise) but I must say that since I got rid of them I've always missed that super clean presentation of bass. The DT880 has that cleanliness, tightness and speed but without the steep rolloff into the sub-bass and with more overall balance/authority which I admire greatly. The treble is far less ridiculous, too, and there's an actual soundstage. Not to mention comfort and build being a trillion times better.

I just really want to like these headphones because from what I've read, they seem to have neutrality and articulation down better than anything else affordable for a student like me. I really appreciate a headphone than can reach very low and very high like the DT880 can, as well as be quick and clean. If I don't like it, I was planning on looking at the HD650. The PX100ii is my current portable headphone, and it's actually one of my favourite headphones period. I love it's sound, and measurements suggest that the HD650 might be like a full size hifi version of it. But knowing that it's slower, less extended and less detailed than the DT880 would still be annoying to deal with.

Here's hoping the DT880 isn't too bright/thin/sterile for me! Tubes might just be my saviour on this one!

I loved the 880/OTL combination myself and felt there was a very good synergy. I had the HD650 at the same time and ultimately sold it first, keeping the 880 as I felt it just did more things a little better than the 650. I really enjoyed the 650 sound, and I think everybody should have some time owning one, but it didn't beat out the 880 for me. The clarity and detail of the 880 is hard to replace. I also had the 225i, and yes I agree on all fronts, while fun and engaging, the treble was ultimately too much for me, and the bass was too rolled off. I moved to the HF2 from the 225 and found that improved the treble and bass, but not enough and that is when I purchased my 880.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back