The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Dec 14, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #5,821 of 12,546
Pelican has milspec cases to fit just about everything... Get a case and pack your gear in it. :D

http://www.pelican.com/

Dec 14, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #5,822 of 12,546
I've had them run over one of my bags before (Hard-sided Samsonite suitcase), it was almost snapped in half.  Luckily it was just my clothes, as I refuse to check my valuables.  

They did pay me $150 for the damage to my suitcase, which was the highlight of the trip (I paid $5 for it at Goodwill the day before).. 
beyersmile.png

As for taking electronics through the airport, I just recently (Two or three months now) carried nearly an entire desktop through security (In pieces), and was stopped so they could check the different parts.  The woman just swiped the different bags they were in, with some sort of liquid and a q-tip and put it into a machine, 5-10 minutes later I was at my gate.

Edit - 
I generally fly 8-10 times a year and have never had any real problems carrying electronics through security.

Dec 14, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #5,823 of 12,546
  I've had them run over one of my bags before (Hard-sided Samsonite suitcase), it was almost snapped in half.  Luckily it was just my clothes, as I refuse to check my valuables.  

They did pay me $150 for the damage to my suitcase, which was the highlight of the trip (I paid $5 for it at Goodwill the day before).. 
beyersmile.png

As for taking electronics through the airport, I just recently (Two or three months now) carried nearly an entire desktop through security (In pieces), and was stopped so they could check the different parts.  The woman just swiped the different bags they were in, with some sort of liquid and a q-tip and put it into a machine, 5-10 minutes later I was at my gate.

Edit - 
I generally fly 8-10 times a year and have never had any real problems carrying electronics through security.

That's good to know, I might be flying with my portable rig some day...

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #5,824 of 12,546
  They might if you could present receipts. Of course, that would only work if you bought new (or used from a shop or online retailer).

The reason I ask is because our family business ships out orders at least three times a week. We use the cargo terminals at our local airport (UPS and FedEx would be way too expensive for what we send), and cargo goes in the same place on the planes as passenger baggage. The only thing I can think of that might have caused something like you describe is if there were some kind of heating element in the cargo area that malfunctioned and went nuts, and your bag was right next to it. I hate to think of something like that happening to our freight. Instead of aquarium fish, our customers would be getting fish soup!

Does your family business sell fish & supplies for salt water tanks? If so, feel free to plug your website or company info and I'll pass it along to my brother in-law and nephew in-law. They are *obsessed* with salt water tanks and are always shopping for fish and supplies.

Dec 14, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #5,825 of 12,546
anyone hear the DT880 with the earmax amp ? I'm considering getting the earmax silver edition. Any feedback on pairing appreciated..

Dec 14, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #5,826 of 12,546
  or don't even fly... grab some buddies and go on a ROAD TRIP... I've had Airlines MELT my luggage before...

.........This is quite discouraging lol...
Guess I won't be able to bring them along with me then. Two weeks without mt dt880 in a chilled environment just seems too much :c

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #5,829 of 12,546
  How would the DT880 pro compare when using the e10 vs magni/modi?

I would say magni/modi would be a lot better than e10 if schiit lived up to their name. I returned my e10 less than an hour of listening to them.

Dec 14, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #5,832 of 12,546
One hour of use

It wasn't new...it was used.
  What was so bad about the e10? They seem to get pretty good reviews from a lot of people.

well for me...the bass was completely muddy and just off....
The treble was kind of unbearable...
Mids were acceptable. 
But it made a lot of my songs "unlistenable"

Dec 15, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #5,834 of 12,546
  DT880 - Macbook Pro- Amarra/itunes -Schiit Bifrost - Vintage Kenwood KR4600 = AWESOME!

I have a KR-6030 from around that era. There's some impedance mismatch between its headphone output (probably > 100 ohm output impedance) and my 250 ohm DT880, so it hisses and loses a bit of bass control. Despite this, I still think it sounds perfectly pleasant, with slightly rolled off treble and a tiny bit of extra bloom in the midbass. I wouldn't quite call it synergy, since it's likely a result of an electrical mismatch rather than any intrinsic coloration to the amp itself, but it's still not a bad-sounding combination.

Dec 15, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #5,835 of 12,546
  I would say magni/modi would be a lot better than e10 if schiit lived up to their name. I returned my e10 less than an hour of listening to them.

My best friend bought a stack of Schiit (Magni/Modi) and when I plugged my 7000s into them I was pretty happy. The first piece of music I played was Hotel California live off of the Hell Freezes Over album. Really nice sounding, dynamic, good pace, felt plenty tight and controlled, no crazy frequency shifts, just good solid clean sound. For $200 What? I'm in my mid forties, and I have been listening to gear all of my life, and while nobody could claim Schiit gear was without fault, however, their stuff is most definitely good gear worth the retail, and in my opinion at full retail the value is excellent. I owned a Valhalla for a little more than a year and I have now had my DAC for about six months. I say you can't go wrong at least trying the Schiit stack for that price. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back