The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Jul 18, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #12,061 of 12,546
As I noted earlier ... that dekoni packaging is ABSOLUTELY IDIOTIC and only attracts weakest minds, mesmerized by TikTok and Instragram influencers ... glossy packaging, magnetic box lid, PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTT....
dekoni_premium_ear_pads_for_beyerdynamic_dt_1540602662_f1dedefd3_progressive
Yeah the Choice Suede kills all mids but don't take it out on the packaging. Should of bought the Elite Velours

Jul 18, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #12,062 of 12,546
Yeah the Choice Suede kills all mids but don't take it out on the packaging. Should of bought the Elite Velours
Are they “better “ than OEM?

Jul 19, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #12,064 of 12,546
Those dekoni’s are 50 friggin’ bucks. Didn’t know what I paid till I just checked my Amazon receipt…. may very well return mine. No… I ain’t fallin’ fo’ dat sheereeea ‘gain… fo’ any elite Padzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz .
No problem with payin’ fo’ somethin’ ‘spensive AF when worthy… like I said … I own ie900’s…. worth every penny!

Aug 19, 2021 at 6:41 AM Post #12,069 of 12,546
Initial thoughts on the 600Ω cans - compared to my 250Ωs there's a noticeable difference in clarity & soundstage; instruments are more clearly defined even in noisier music & & distance between these individual instruments are clearer to me at least.

There's a smoothness to the overall sound that my 250Ωs lack, but isn't afraid to get crunchier when the song asks for it.

The sibilance is less noticeable on my 600Ωs, almost always a welcome thing unless the song asks for it, but I don't listen to particular sibilant vocalists (if someone wants to put me on, be my guess)

The headphones are clamping down on me a little, but I suspect it will go away after further use. In-between my listening sessions I keep my amplifier at half volume & play white noise. If there are more effective burn-in methods, be my guest & tell me but otherwise I think this is sufficient. Regardless of how long it takes to burn it in, it's essentially an improvement (even if slight) from my previous 250Ωs, and that's good enough for me.

Aug 19, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #12,070 of 12,546
Some FR graphs I saw for the 250Ω version seemed to indicate it would be less bright than the 600Ω. I had a strange burn in period with my 600Ω version in which I didn't like the headphone very much. I prefer it now compared to my initial experience. The burn-in period was quite short (compared to my HD650 anyway).

@Skylah do you need to use the high gain on the Objective O2+ODAC due to its insensitive nature ?

Aug 19, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #12,071 of 12,546
Some FR graphs I saw for the 250Ω version seemed to indicate it would be less bright than the 600Ω.

I think I can testify to that from initial impressions, but I want to sit with it more for sure

I had a strange burn in period with my 600Ω version in which I didn't like the headphone very much. I prefer it now compared to my initial experience. The burn-in period was quite short (compared to my HD650 anyway).

Excited to spend more time with it - I'm already enjoying it more than my 250Ωs but that could be part of the new headphone rush I guess

@Skylah do you need to use the high gain on the Objective O2+ODAC due to its insensitive nature ?

It depends on the recording to be perfectly honest. I find that a lot of pop & hip-hop seems loud enough that increasing gain leads to distortion, especially in the bass regions. That could be a result of lazy mastering in mainstream music today but it sounds fine on regular gain settings (I have the 2.5x & 6.5x O2s for reference)

Something else entirely, like Stevie Wonder's Love's In Need of Love Today (1976) or Blind Willie Johnson's Dark Was The Night, Cold Was The Ground (1928), really come alive with the higher gain setting turned on, although I can't quite comment on the full album experience just yet.

Update: Include Joy Division - Disorder (1979) with that statement above.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #12,072 of 12,546
My O2 was originally 2.5x and 6.5x, I had it modified a few years ago to reduce the high gain. I don't actually know what the multiplier is now. When I used to use the DT 880 I never used the high gain. I was somewhat surprised to find a T1 is more sensitive than the DT 880. I kind of regret having the modification now. I've never come across bass distortion at the levels I listen to although this is a trait of many dynamics. I just find the headphone a little bright when I turn up the volume so the bass is noticeable. From what you say it seems the 600Ω is an improvement over the 250Ω.

Aug 20, 2021 at 6:12 AM Post #12,074 of 12,546
There's lots of adherents to valve (tube) amplifiers for bright neutral headphones like the DT 880, T1, HD800. I find that unusual and wonder if it's better to have a tube-like headphone with a solid state amplifier (like a HD650 or something else) which is the only option I have. I'll try that Unknown Pleasures song and observe the effect of high gain although it will be a few days until I get off my HD580 which I've only just 'tuned in' to.

Aug 20, 2021 at 6:26 AM Post #12,075 of 12,546
…except that the HD650 is one of the cans that benefits the most from a tube amp!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back