The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Oct 30, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #10,336 of 12,546
  For me while this headphone mostly has a pretty awesome sound (I have the 880 pro), the highs are just too shimmery and bright for me, from the graphs there's just too much energy between 6k and 9kHz compared to the rest of the frequencies. 600Ohm version seems to have a little less energy there, so maybe I'll try it once if I get a chance, but most people say the difference isn't huge.
Right now I am too looking to try the HD600 again, probably it sounds similar to the 650 but from what I remember it was also a lot more neutral so I'm thinking it should respond a lot better to EQ than for example the 650 or DT880 do. Am also looking at one of the older hifimans 400 or 500 (the newer versions like 400s and 400i seem to have a bit of a stale sound and seem to lack some upper treble), hopefully I can find a used one soon.

Right now I'm using the cheap but very decent sounding K240 Studio, although the expensive AKGs seem to have a similar problem as the 880: a bit too much mid-treble energy combined with a lack of body in the bass. I kinda wanna try the old K240 Monitor though.. And I wanna try those vintage Beyers too some time, I'm wondering though if they were less bright sounding..

The DT880 responds brilliantly to EQ. It needs to be targeted parametric EQ, though. A graphic EQ isn't going to have fine enough control, nor will it offer the specific frequency bands needed. This of course means you're stuck using a music player that supports a parametric EQ plugin, which isn't always practical.

If you're up for it, the trouble spots on the DT880 are centered around 6 kHz and 8.5 kHz. Bringing the former down by around 7.5 dB and the latter by around 6 dB (both notches of 0.3 oct bandwidth / a Q of 4.8) is a good place to start.

If this sounds like too much trouble and you want to go the HD 600 route, I can tell you that, apart from lacking the elevated lower- and mid-treble of the DT880, in direct comparison the HD 600 also has a bit more upper midrange presence, less bass extension, and less prominent upper treble (though with similarly excellent extension as the DT880). The effect is that the HD 600 sounds mid-centric in comparison to the DT880, which is a bit treble-focused and has slightly more prominent bass but more subdued upper midrange. It took me a bit of getting used to coming straight from the DT880, but the HD 600 is a truly excellent headphone. My DT880 has been pretty much shelved since the HD 600 arrived many months ago.

Oct 30, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #10,337 of 12,546
There was no DT880 from the 90s as far as I know. The original DT880 was available from 1980 to some period in the middle of the decade, at which point it was discontinued and replaced with the DT990. The original DT880 had a metal slatted grill on the cups that came in black, silver or pink, to denote the different versions of the headphone. Nobody really remembers what the differences between versions were supposed to be. Beyer headphones from that period had the name of the company separated into two words. EDIT: While this is true, it turns out it wasn't universal (see picture below).

Hopefully this helps in identifying your set. If you can, post a picture, or else search for 80s DT880s and compare the results to what you have. It would be very interesting indeed if it turns out you have something different.

Also, since you asked, if what you have is indeed an 80s DT880, they're less common than they were about six years ago when I first joined Head-Fi, when they occasionally would show up on online auction sites or in the FS section on Head-Fi. Back then one in good condition usually went for around $50.

EDIT: This is what it looked like:

Mine looks just like this including the wires being braided or twirled or w/e it is called :p :

I'm pretty sure they are 250ohms, but I dunno how to check. So, it's worth only $50 in very good condition?

Oct 30, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #10,338 of 12,546
That looks so much more open.

Has anyone tried to take that plastic ring behind grill to make it completely open ?

I'm just curious.

I saw this on some other 990 thread but that disc only has small hole in middle, what will happen if that is taken out?

Oct 30, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #10,339 of 12,546
Mine looks just like this including the wires being braided or twirled or w/e it is called
tongue.gif
:

I'm pretty sure they are 250ohms, but I dunno how to check. So, it's worth only $50 in very good condition?

They're 600 ohm, like many headphones from that era. They were designed for the higher output impedance (greater than 100 ohms frequently) of typical sources of their time.

And yep, they're not really super rare or super desirable, so they probably won't fetch huge money unless people have become incredibly desperate in the past five years or so. The $50 figure is just a ballpark estimate based on what I saw them go for years ago, but I'd be surprised if they were worth much more than that. If it makes you feel better, though, they are regarded as one of the better vintage headphones, and one of the few really worth listening to even when compared to modern offerings. I've always wanted to try one, just to see how it differs from the modern version*. They're definitely worth keeping, especially if you enjoy the way they sound. At that point, they become priceless.

*The modern DT880 was introduced in 2003 and reportedly has no technical similarity to the original DT880. It was intended to fill the hole in the lineup between the DT770 and the DT990 (both were first released in the 1980s to replace the DT880 and have evolved continuously since then), and it was intended to reflect the tonal balance of the original DT880. Since I've never heard it, I have no idea how well it accomplishes this, though I remember reading comparisons suggesting that it's less treble-tilted than the modern version.

Oct 30, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #10,341 of 12,546
I
They're 600 ohm, like many headphones from that era. They were designed for the higher output impedance (greater than 100 ohms frequently) of typical sources of their time.

And yep, they're not really super rare or super desirable, so they probably won't fetch huge money unless people have become incredibly desperate in the past five years or so. The $50 figure is just a ballpark estimate based on what I saw them go for years ago, but I'd be surprised if they were worth much more than that. If it makes you feel better, though, they are regarded as one of the better vintage headphones, and one of the few really worth listening to even when compared to modern offerings. I've always wanted to try one, just to see how it differs from the modern version*. They're definitely worth keeping, especially if you enjoy the way they sound. At that point, they become priceless.

*The modern DT880 was introduced in 2003 and reportedly has no technical similarity to the original DT880. It was intended to fill the hole in the lineup between the DT770 and the DT990 (both were first released in the 1980s to replace the DT880 and have evolved continuously since then), and it was intended to reflect the tonal balance of the original DT880. Since I've never heard it, I have no idea how well it accomplishes this, though I remember reading comparisons suggesting that it's less treble-tilted than the modern version.

Interesting, 600 ohms. I'm surprised I can power them up connected directly to my pc even at 600ohms with no amp or dac :eek:

So they're a keeper, huh? I like how they sound tbh. Never compared them against modern DT880 so I dunno how they compare either.

Oct 30, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #10,343 of 12,546

They probably don't sound like how they're supposed to sound.

They probably won't ever sound exactly like they were designed to, anyway. The new Beyer pads, while they fit, aren't the same as the originals. In fact, at least one of the three variants of the original DT880 (I don't remember which one) was supposed to have pleather pads. Even NIB examples of those most likely have long since dried out and cracked with age. Pads, far more so than any of the source voodoo discussed ad nauseam on Head-Fi, can make a big difference in how a headphone sounds.

Want to hear something totally wild? Try listening to a DT880 without the pads. It's like all the treble and bass just disappear down a hole. Thing is, at least with my ears and level of pad wear, there isn't that much of a difference in distance between my pinnae and the baffle with the pads versus without them. Just having the pad there and increasing the distance between the driver and my eardrum by a matter of millimeters makes a humongous difference.

Oct 30, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #10,344 of 12,546

The DT880 responds brilliantly to EQ. It needs to be targeted parametric EQ, though. A graphic EQ isn't going to have fine enough control, nor will it offer the specific frequency bands needed. This of course means you're stuck using a music player that supports a parametric EQ plugin, which isn't always practical.

If you're up for it, the trouble spots on the DT880 are centered around 6 kHz and 8.5 kHz. Bringing the former down by around 7.5 dB and the latter by around 6 dB (both notches of 0.3 oct bandwidth / a Q of 4.8) is a good place to start.

If this sounds like too much trouble and you want to go the HD 600 route, I can tell you that, apart from lacking the elevated lower- and mid-treble of the DT880, in direct comparison the HD 600 also has a bit more upper midrange presence, less bass extension, and less prominent upper treble (though with similarly excellent extension as the DT880). The effect is that the HD 600 sounds mid-centric in comparison to the DT880, which is a bit treble-focused and has slightly more prominent bass but more subdued upper midrange. It took me a bit of getting used to coming straight from the DT880, but the HD 600 is a truly excellent headphone. My DT880 has been pretty much shelved since the HD 600 arrived many months ago.

Hm okay, I did try to EQ it with foobar and also with winamp (so just did some software-wise EQ), and at least that peaky treble region seems hard to EQ and at the same time keeping the highs clear sounding.. the highs become a bit of a mess then, a bit muffled (and I can still hear some mid-treble spikes..)
And yeah I do remember the upper midrange / low treble of the 600 is forward, the 880 in that region is certainly better. But I'm gonna give 600 a try probably (when i find a good deal), I think a bump around 3 / 3.5k will certainly bother me less than around 6 or 8k (EQ-ing that region if needed should hopefully be a bit easier too).

Oct 30, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #10,345 of 12,546
  And yeah I do remember the upper midrange / low treble of the 600 is forward, the 880 in that region is certainly better. But I'm gonna give 600 a try probably (when i find a good deal), I think a bump around 3 / 3.5k will certainly bother me less than around 6 or 8k (EQ-ing that region if needed should hopefully be a bit easier too).

That's pretty much what I found. The extra upper midrange on the HD 600 doesn't bother me at all. As much as I liked the DT880, I never realized how many mental excuses I made for its shortcomings until I started listening to the HD 600. The lack of treble issues is a real boon for the HD 600, though I sometimes miss the bass extension, the clear, open midrange; and the crystalline, airy highs of the DT880 on the right material. On classical in particular this signature shines. I'm glad I have both headphones, just for the contrasting takes on neutrality.

That said, I've been avoiding my DT880 lately. The headband has started doing this. It's not as bad as in the linked thread, but it's pretty nasty stuff that's difficult to get off anything it sticks on. Anybody do a headband pad replacement? Anything I need to know going in?

Oct 31, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #10,347 of 12,546

That's pretty much what I found. The extra upper midrange on the HD 600 doesn't bother me at all. As much as I liked the DT880, I never realized how many mental excuses I made for its shortcomings until I started listening to the HD 600. The lack of treble issues is a real boon for the HD 600, though I sometimes miss the bass extension, the clear, open midrange; and the crystalline, airy highs of the DT880 on the right material. On classical in particular this signature shines. I'm glad I have both headphones, just for the contrasting takes on neutrality.

That said, I've been avoiding my DT880 lately. The headband has started doing this. It's not as bad as in the linked thread, but it's pretty nasty stuff that's difficult to get off anything it sticks on. Anybody do a headband pad replacement? Anything I need to know going in?

dafaq

should send that pic to beyerdynamic

thats just...

Oct 31, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #10,348 of 12,546
I have a dt880 edition 600 ohm. i came across a company called custom cans who offer a cable upgrade (mine is the straight cable) to some kind of litz braided cable for £90. would i really benefit from any sonic or audible improvements here? if there was a positive change i would be happy to pay for it. thanks to all

Nov 3, 2016 at 3:24 AM Post #10,349 of 12,546
I just wanted to jump back in here with an update on my experience with the DT880 Premium 250 Ohm. I have had them for a little over 2 weeks now. I have used them almost every night since. I must have 40 hours on them by now. Out of the box, there was some additional treble energy in the 6kHz to 10kHz region. If I had to take a guess by ear, I would say right around the following level of additional energy.

6kHz +1
7Khz +1
8kHz + 2
9kHz +1.5
10kHz +1

However, I honestly did not find it fatiguing at all. It just offered additional detail retrieval, and allowed the headphones to expose more in the music. After probably 40 hours of use now, the headphones sound even better than they did out of the box. At around 30-35 hours of use. I really noticed a great improvement to the bass. It became tighter, deeper, and more defined. It is definitely capable of reaching down low when the music or a video game calls for it. Out of the box, the mids were gorgeous, although just slightly recessed. It appeared as though the mids were just slightly behind the bass and treble while listening. After 35 hours or so of use, the presentation ended up moving forward. Everything is just so balanced now. I will say right now that the mids on this headphone are the best I have heard thus far at the 250 dollar price level. The sound is so musical, and without any fatigue at all. Now, regarding the treble. That additional treble in the 6-10khz region has just seemed to have magically disappeared almost completely now as well. All I hear left is perhaps a +1 additional splash of energy at right around 8kHz. It is nice and airy, without any fatigue. I just find this to be an awesomely balanced sounding headphone.

Of course, we all hear things differently, but I am amazed that I have heard people claim these headphones have ear piercing treble. I just don't agree with that at all. In my experience, the DT770 Pro 250 Ohm, now that had fatiguing treble, as well as bass. I did not like those headphones at all. I am currently running my M-Stage HPA-2 (Non USB version) as an amp with the stock OPA2134 opamp. For a DAC, I have been switching between my Aune T1 MK3 (latest version) with Genalex Gold Lion E88CC Gold Pin Tube, and my HT OMEGA Claro Plus sound card. I have an LME49860NA I am going to pop in the M-Stage in the next couple days which will certainly offer an improvement as well. At this point, I think the DT880 Premium 250 Ohm is a great pair of headphones.

Nov 3, 2016 at 3:39 AM Post #10,350 of 12,546
Good thread... haven't read though all of it...  I have had the DT880 Premium 250Ohms for several years now, I just replaced the earpads on mine as well as you'll doubtless know these seem to need to be replaced after awhile..   So in my case I have this 80s (most epic 80's all buttons no Knobs at all) kenwood KR-V106R receiver on my desk (got at some church swap thing 4yrs or so ago for $20).    Sometimes I eq this down a bit on the treble ...(as you see I have the equalizer on the controls (with the presets and whatever)..    I actually like this receiver with these headphones quite alot..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back