The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Feb 28, 2015 at 6:49 AM Post #8,581 of 12,546
Nothing beats the DT880 600ohm premium. I love how with audiophile cans you can mix and match and change the sound with different equipment, before I used headphones that were 32ohm which weren't a good choice. These make my best IEMs sound not as good, and I'm an IEM person. I got these for $350 new, love it.

Feb 28, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #8,582 of 12,546
Decided to buy these headphones after reading a lot of positive stuff about them.
But I have some questions.
Should I go for the 250 or 600 ohm version?
And what do I need to power 250/600 ohms exactly?

Would say my budget is around 250€ (not including the 880's of course).

Feb 28, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #8,585 of 12,546
I use the E12 to run my dt 880 600 ohm cans and I like the way they sound. The E12 is a nice, powerful, little portable amp and has ran all of my cans, from my Alpha Prime's to the ATH 50x.

Feb 28, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #8,586 of 12,546
I've powered a 600 Ohm pair from a:
- Matrix M Stage headphone amp
- the FiiO E09K
- the FiiO E12 headphone amp
- and a La Figaro 336C OTL Vacuum Tube amp

I preferred the La Figaro 336C

Feb 28, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #8,587 of 12,546
Right now I am listening to Cocteau Twins I downloaded in FLAC from 4AD records. The DT880 is an awesome headphone.. I think they are genre specific and love airy female vocals such as those from the aforementioned band. Neutral, I take back anything about being "bright" the treble is just right for lower volume listening and makes for a very balanced and ethereal sound, although the slight grain is why it stops shy of Stax SR-009 territory or electrostat and planar transparency. Still though, just sitting back and relaxing to some Cocteau Twins while it rains outside on my birthday this morning has been very pleasant.

Feb 28, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #8,588 of 12,546
  Decided to buy these headphones after reading a lot of positive stuff about them.
But I have some questions.
Should I go for the 250 or 600 ohm version?
And what do I need to power 250/600 ohms exactly?

Would say my budget is around 250€ (not including the 880's of course).

I have the 600ohm and use a Little Dot MK III with great results but my O2 & Keces HA-171 (purchased here for under $200) also power them fine. I just happen to like the sound with the LD... but I am running different power and driver tubes (see profile).
They aren't that bad to power IMHO and this is the only DT880 variant I've ever heard.
They do sound excellent.

Mar 1, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #8,589 of 12,546
  Right now I am listening to Cocteau Twins I downloaded in FLAC from 4AD records. The DT880 is an awesome headphone.. I think they are genre specific and love airy female vocals such as those from the aforementioned band. Neutral, I take back anything about being "bright" the treble is just right for lower volume listening and makes for a very balanced and ethereal sound, although the slight grain is why it stops shy of Stax SR-009 territory or electrostat and planar transparency. Still though, just sitting back and relaxing to some Cocteau Twins while it rains outside on my birthday this morning has been very pleasant.

I didn't even know Jean Cocteau had a twin.
tongue.gif

Agree with you about the 880 being awesome; it certainly performs way beyond its price range. You mention the Stax 009--have you heard the two together? I'd be interested in a comparison, though I wouldn't of course expect the DT880 to win in any category.

Mar 1, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #8,591 of 12,546
I have used the 880/250Ohm with the E12, and it was plenty powerful for me.
Never listened the 600Ohm version, so can't help you there.

CAN E12 DRIVE WELL?
and can u connect e12 +fiio x3?(dont distortion)

There's no point. Get a desktop amp from Schiit for $100, and a quality source that can power up to 250/600ohms. Portable amps are meant for headphones that are portable, the 880 is a (semi) open can, so you're going to turn yourself into an expensive speaker on the subway. Amps just add more detail, but if you have a quality DAP for portable use and a desktop amp for critical listening, you'd get the most out of these cans.

Mar 1, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #8,592 of 12,546
CAN E12 DRIVE WELL?

The 250Ohm version, yes. Plenty. And I used it exactly with an X3 strapped onto an E12 combo.
As for no need for portable and go for desktop, portable is not only for the subway.
I use portables also within my house, to be able to move around and listen music in many different places, without being forced to be anchored into the one where the desktop amp resides.

Mar 1, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #8,593 of 12,546
CAN E12 DRIVE WELL?

The 250Ohm version, yes. Plenty. And I used it exactly with an X3 strapped onto an E12 combo.
As for no need for portable and go for desktop, portable is not only for the subway.
I use portables also within my house, to be able to move around and listen music in many different places, without being forced to be anchored into the one where the desktop amp resides.

True. I didn't think of that - I usually use my IEMs if I'm going to be moving around then switch back to the 880s. Everyone's didferent.

Mar 1, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #8,594 of 12,546

I didn't even know Jean Cocteau had a twin.
tongue.gif

Agree with you about the 880 being awesome; it certainly performs way beyond its price range. You mention the Stax 009--have you heard the two together? I'd be interested in a comparison, though I wouldn't of course expect the DT880 to win in any category.

No but I've auditioned the Alpha Dogs, SR-009, Alpha Prime, Hifiman HE-560, LCD-3F all side by side at the San Diego Head-fi meet.

From my memory the SR-009 is an almost colorless headphone that has amazing transparency(much like the best planars but "faster") leaning towards the dynamic sound but without grain or artificiality.
It is also a  headphone that is tuned almost perfectly ideal for a well balanced listening experience.
SR-009 beats the DT880 in tonality, speed, transient response, total harmonic distortion, bass, treble, openness/space(deeper cups). Across the board as far as sound goes.. transparency is like hearing music through no filter.. the DT880 leaves traces of headphone sound behind, the SR-009 and Alpha Dogs make you forget you have headphones on with the SR-009 doing more convincingly than both DT880 and Alpha

I think the DT880 might be slightly more comfortable because it's easier to forget you are wearing them. But for $5000 and the cost of admission (suitable amp) all those things should be expected

edit: it's pouring rain again, time to listen to the DT880 to capture the mood

Mar 1, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #8,595 of 12,546

I didn't even know Jean Cocteau had a twin. :p

No but I've auditioned the Alpha Dogs, SR-009, Alpha Prime, Hifiman HE-560, LCD-3F all side by side at the San Diego Head-fi meet.

From my memory the SR-009 is an almost colorless headphone that has amazing transparency(much like the best planars but "faster") leaning towards the dynamic sound but without grain or artificiality.
It is also a  headphone that is tuned almost perfectly ideal for a well balanced listening experience.
SR-009 beats the DT880 in tonality, speed, transient response, total harmonic distortion, bass, treble, openness/space(deeper cups). Across the board as far as sound goes.. transparency is like hearing music through no filter.. the DT880 leaves traces of headphone sound behind, the SR-009 and Alpha Dogs make you forget you have headphones on with the SR-009 doing more convincingly than both DT880 and Alpha

I think the DT880 might be slightly more comfortable because it's easier to forget you are wearing them. But for $5000 and the cost of admission (suitable amp) all those things should be expected

edit: it's pouring rain again, time to listen to the DT880 to capture the mood

How's the alpha dog compare to the 880? I know it's a lot smoother but slower.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back