The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
May 11, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #7,352 of 12,546
While everything is detailed and clear...i sometimes feel that it lacked body and 'excitement'.

May 11, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #7,353 of 12,546
While everything is detailed and clear...i sometimes feel that it lacked body and 'excitement'.

Unfortunately I don't think this will change over time. If you want more 'body' look into the HD600 (or HD650 if you can spend a bit more cash).though I don't find them to be more exciting nor as detailed as the DT880. I haven't heard the Alpha dogs so I can't comment about them.

If you want you can get a tube amp which can add some warmth to the sound a little. The LittleDot mk2 is a great amp to start with (which ohm version do you have btw?) I'm not as experienced with tube rolling as some other members here so I'll leave that to them :D

May 11, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #7,354 of 12,546
I suggest playing around with some electrical tape on the outside of the pads. Leave about 1/3 next to your ear uncovered. It has added the missing "body" for me, without destroying the amazing highs. Just a suggestion. Cheaper then alphas. Win.

May 11, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #7,355 of 12,546

Unfortunately I don't think this will change over time. If you want more 'body' look into the HD600 (or HD650 if you can spend a bit more cash).though I don't find them to be more exciting nor as detailed as the DT880. I haven't heard the Alpha dogs so I can't comment about them.

If you want you can get a tube amp which can add some warmth to the sound a little. The LittleDot mk2 is a great amp to start with (which ohm version do you have btw?) I'm not as experienced with tube rolling as some other members here so I'll leave that to them
biggrin.gif

I agree with the above statements. However the isolation of the Alpha Dogs and the 3D printed cups + THICK earpads create the presence of an acoustically treated room for sound to travel around in.

Alpha Dog bass doesn't bleed into the rest of the sound and is well separated from all the other frequencies which makes them more ideal for testing in noisier environments. Also there is no question at all, the ADs poop all over the DT880s when it comes to bass. They are like having closed subwoofers on your head that nearly recreate the effect of nearfield studio monitors with their detail and accuracy. ADs don't approach basshead levels (unnecessary amounts) but provide a visceral experience comparable to my time with the LCD-XC and TH900.

Tubes might do the DT880 more justice like xKonfuzed said but you aren't going to change the overall frequency of an open can by that much. The ADs reproduce bass way better there is just no comparison and they provide more body to vocals which could be achieved with the help of tubes. $600 > $246(price paid for new) but even $600 is affordable for broke college students like me. 
biggrin.gif

May 11, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #7,356 of 12,546

If you want you can get a tube amp which can add some warmth to the sound a little. The LittleDot mk2 is a great amp to start with (which ohm version do you have btw?) I'm not as experienced with tube rolling as some other members here so I'll leave that to them
biggrin.gif

I have the premium 250ohm version, running through a Duet 2 interface, mainly for mixing though...The sound is growing on me though (coming from Sony MDRV6, VSD1 and MH1C) the longer I listen to it. Not in-your-face but gives me space to listen to the whole picture. Alpha Dog looks out of my budget as its in between DT880 and getting something like the HD800/T1.

May 13, 2014 at 4:15 AM Post #7,357 of 12,546

I have the premium 250ohm version, running through a Duet 2 interface, mainly for mixing though...The sound is growing on me though (coming from Sony MDRV6, VSD1 and MH1C) the longer I listen to it. Not in-your-face but gives me space to listen to the whole picture. Alpha Dog looks out of my budget as its in between DT880 and getting something like the HD800/T1.

Exactly, one's appreciation for the DT880 grows the more time one spends with it. It's not in your face appealing, as some phones will be - usually, with some bumped up/colored characteristic - but I think that's the thing with a neutral headphone: there's a sense of the organic in them, which shines the more time you spend with them.

For me, the DT880 are pretty much complete. Of course, upgraditis may hit me in the future (and we audiophiles are pretty prone to that) and I could spend a lot more money and improve on certain characteristics, but there's nothing inherently missing with them. You know the thing about something in balance, where a state of peace can be attained. IMHO, the DT880 achieves that. 

Of course, this is for someone who listens mostly to classical. Your mileage may differ depending on the kind of music one listens to. 

May 13, 2014 at 5:03 AM Post #7,358 of 12,546
Well put, Steve. I listen to classical almost exclusively and feel the same way. Recently I was tempted to grab a T90 off Ebay but thought, Why? What would I be gaining? The 880 is so balanced and neutral. A few details might become clearer, I might get a slightly more in-focus picture of the soundstage, but would I lose that intrinsic satisfaction the 880 provides, the satisfaction that comes from the knowledge that while everything may not be perfect, it's still probably only improvable in increments, if at all. 

May 13, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #7,361 of 12,546
Question about build quality: are the aluminium strips holding the cups to the headband meant to move, wobble, and twist in their plastic sockets so much? I'm sure these headphones will last a while with care, but I have to say I'm a bit surprised at how they feel in the hand. Not that I care at all if this is how they're designed, but I'm naturally suspicious of online purchases. Fakes, used sold as new, etc. I just want to know if the build quality is meant to feel like this?

May 13, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #7,362 of 12,546
Yea, the cups should move side to side a bit. This is designed to accomadate a variety of head shapes and sizes.

As for build quality, I take care of mine and they are holding up, though I havn't had them more then 6 months. However my son likes to come in (he's almost 2) and play with dads headphones lol. He's pulled on them a bit, but so far they have held up. Obviously I try to limit him from getting to them, but a few times he's snuck by me lol.

May 13, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #7,363 of 12,546
Lately I have been enjoying my DT880s with this setup. 128GB iMod, Silver LOD with NO caps, Leckerton UHA 62.MKII amp. I'm enjoying this setup especially for its nuetrality. From the DAC to the headphones there is no DC blocking caps. The amp is able to handle the 2v of DC offset. I can't crank the volume up like crazy otherwise there is some distortion. But if I want louder volume I use my ALO Copper 18 LOD with dc blocking capacitors it it.

But no caps, with the DT 880 250ohm Premiums really gives it a very transparent and extremely nuetral sound. Lately I've been getting into some contemporary classical with things like The Piano Guys, and 2Cellos.

Here is a shot of my setup with the ALO Copper 18 LOD with the capacitors. But for lower volumes I really perfer the solid silver LOD. Right now I can't decide if I like it in the ALO Amp wallet more, or just with the bands banded together. :p

May 13, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #7,364 of 12,546
The amp is able to handle the 2v of DC offset.

Plug the headphones in there and enjoyment will all come to an end... 
biggrin.gif

May 13, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #7,365 of 12,546
:p lol Luckily that isn't the case. The headphones have no problem with the signal that comes out of the amps output what so ever. Part of what makes it so great. The iMod modification however doesn't affect the headphone out on the iPod it'self, but only affects the LOD as the signal is routed directly from the DAC to the line out bypassing the majority logicboard of the iPod. This way if I need to use the iPods headphone out, I still can. This is how Red Wine Audio modded the 5th and 5.5G iPods.

Lucky for me though, my LODs all have a male end on them so I can't plug the headphones straight into the LOD. Otherwise I'm sure my son would have already killed my headphones lol

My iMod with clear iVue front cover and a clear hard case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back