The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Oct 24, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #4,981 of 12,548
  Duck tape the cans to your head next time.  
dt880smile.png

Would love to see a photo of it...  
beerchug.gif

u better

Well, I'm a man of my word. 
beyersmile.png

Oct 24, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #4,984 of 12,548
The 250 and 600 Ohm versions need an amp that outputs a lot of voltage.
Example, like a Matrix M Stage or a FiiO E12 or a good OTL tube amp.

Not so sure that covers the lack of sensitivity issue. I drove my 600 880s via my Auditor which is a rock solid voltage monster and I had to cranck the amp over half way quite a bit most of the time, often to around 3 oclock or even more on the dial, and that was with a 4.1voltage output from my XLR out CD player. I did find the same thing with my Valhalla OTL amp as well, but perhaps slightly better hard to remember that, but if it was better, it was marginal.

Oct 24, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #4,985 of 12,548

The Schiit Modi should be a nice match actually! I'm excited to ride this new Schiit HYPE train! Maybe one day in the next few months I'll pick one up just to say I heard it 

The Burson Conductor SL should be a perfect amp for them as well, with it's 2W output on high there is plenty of power there.

I'll have to test out my DT880's with it this weekend, I have both the  ESS 9018 and the TI PCM 1793 DAC boards to test.

Since the LCD 3's arrived,  my DT880's have not been getting all the love they truly deserve.
beerchug.gif

Oct 24, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #4,986 of 12,548
You mean the Vali right? Modi is a dac

The Burson Conductor SL should be a perfect amp for them as well, with it's 2W output on high there is plenty of power there.

I'll have to test out my DT880's with it this weekend, I have both the  ESS 9018 and the TI PCM 1793 DAC boards to test.

Since the LCD 3's arrived,  my DT880's have not been getting all the love they truly deserve.
beerchug.gif

But there is the matter of price. I would go for a ESS dac imo, if I'm going to use a TUBE than I'd want an ESS super COLD dac to feed into the tube... I mean... high end PCM gear might be clean enough, but when I had my hm601... hm601 NOS Dac+HybridTube=Ugly q.q

still PCM+BALANCED OTL= Epic... assuming the better gear would be well BETTER 

Oct 24, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #4,987 of 12,548
  Not so sure that covers the lack of sensitivity issue. I drove my 600 880s via my Auditor which is a rock solid voltage monster and I had to cranck the amp over half way quite a bit most of the time, often to around 3 oclock or even more on the dial, and that was with a 4.1voltage output from my XLR out CD player. I did find the same thing with my Valhalla OTL amp as well, but perhaps slightly better hard to remember that, but if it was better, it was marginal.

The volume is turned up because you require more voltage from the amp.

There is also the issue of the voltage gain of the amplifier

I have to set my Matrix M Stage to a gain setting of 18 dB, this is a voltage gain of 18 dB, when I use my 600 Ohm DT880.
If I don't set the gain the 18 dB then I occasionally start to run out of volume control (volume set at 2 or 3 o'clock) on quietly recorded material (i.e. mastered at a low level).
For comparison, I set gain to 10 dB with my Q701s.

When I use the 600 Ohm DT880 with my E12 I set the gain to 16 dB to ensure I don't run out of volume control travel.
I set gain to 0 dB on the E12 with my Q701.

Oct 24, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #4,989 of 12,548

Is my Audio-GD NFB15.32 even supply enough?  It sound good to me but I don't have a separate amp to even do the compare , which when i read threads on the DT880 premium 600 needing what you mention, it because at times I doubtful that it even enough, even if it sounds good, its like I have this feeling that I missing something. Do you know the Matrix M stage specs?

Oct 24, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #4,990 of 12,548
:beerchug:
Yeah, I feel the same way w/ the T90s. They(880) look all lonely on their perch... but I love them too much to sell them. !_! lol

Is my Audio-GD NFB15.32 even supply enough?  It sound good to me but I don't have a separate amp to even do the compare , which when i read threads on the DT880 premium 600 needing what you mention, it because at times I doubtful that it even enough, even if it sounds good, its like I have this feeling that I missing something. Do you know the Matrix M stage specs?
I think it should be enough, going by Audio-GD's spec sheet on the 15.32, it says that it pushes 150mW into 600 ohm. The DT880's max limit is 100mW.

Oct 24, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #4,991 of 12,548

The Matrix has a maximum output of approx. 8 Vrms.

What do you think you are missing?
While the DT880/600 sounds good via a Matrix M Stage, I prefer how it sounds thru my vacuum tube OTL La Figaro 336C.  There are quite few people who think the DT880 sounds best via a vacuum tube amp.
I think the DT880/600 sounds even better via the headphone jack on an Audiolab M-DAC, but that may be because the M-DAC is a very fine DAC.

Mind you, all this is personal preference.

Oct 24, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #4,992 of 12,548
How about we stop the endless amplifier arguments and tell a joke. I got one, it's about amplifiers.:

Nevermind, it'll drive you crazy.

See what I did there :wink:

Oct 24, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #4,993 of 12,548
It just that every where I look, I see people that have the DT 880 premiums 600 using tube amp's, So I think I must be missing out of something, Since I see more folks using tubes over solid state. I do feel like that I missing a hint of 3dish sound image and do want a bit more wider sound stage as well.  I am thinking of attaching a separate headphone amp into the NFB 15.32, mainly a M-stage since I know which op-amp give me the results that I looking for.  It's mainly people saying that the DT880 600s need voltage to shine and not current that is really making me think that the headphones are not performing right unless I run them thru tubes,I wont do tube amps since I gonna wanna try out different tubes but can't afford to, where I can with op-amps.

Oct 24, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #4,994 of 12,548
How about we stop the endless amplifier arguments and tell a joke. I got one, it's about amplifiers.:

Nevermind, it'll drive you crazy.

See what I did there
wink.gif

tongue.gif

Oct 24, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #4,995 of 12,548
  The Matrix has a maximum output of approx. 8 Vrms.

What do you think you are missing?
While the DT880/600 sounds good via a Matrix M Stage, I prefer how it sounds thru my vacuum tube OTL La Figaro 336C.  There are quite few people who think the DT880 sounds best via a vacuum tube amp.
I think the DT880/600 sounds even better via the headphone jack on an Audiolab M-DAC, but that may be because the M-DAC is a very fine DAC.

Mind you, all this is personal preference.

I used an Audiolab 8200CD with my 880s, and it was a great pairing. The 8200 has the same DAC as found in the M-DAC, but I have heard it had an even better power supply. I loved my 880s through the OTL Valhalla. FWIW, I actually like the Schiit Gungnir more than the Audiolab, but I wouldn't say by a huge margin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back