The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Oct 18, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #4,951 of 12,548
  How good are the mids on the dt 880? I was thinking about getting the premium version, I am currently undecided between the q701, or the 880's even considering some 535's. I mentioned to Tyll, that I like headphones with a really accentuated and forward midrange but don't lack dynamics and he recommend these. I am actually a amateur singer and I love intimate forward sounding vocals above all else, I love to play attention to the lyrics.

If you want a forward midrange I recommend the Sennheiser HD600 or AKG Q/K7xx. While I don't consider the DT880's mids recessed they definitely aren't forward. My top recommendation would be the HD600. Its amazing with vocals. They aren't super forward to the point that the headphone isn't neutral or smooth, but they are forward and very enjoyable if you're focusing on the mids. For me they sometimes have even too much mids (only slightly) but for you they would probably be perfect.

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #4,952 of 12,548

If you want a forward midrange I recommend the Sennheiser HD600 or AKG Q/K7xx. While I don't consider the DT880's mids recessed they definitely aren't forward. My top recommendation would be the HD600. Its amazing with vocals. They aren't super forward to the point that the headphone isn't neutral or smooth, but they are forward and very enjoyable if you're focusing on the mids. For me they sometimes have even too much mids (only slightly) but for you they would probably be perfect.

Well hopefully if I do get the HD600, it leaves a better impression than its big brother the Hd 650 which I didn't like as much because I felt they lacked dynamics, and the treble was really rolled off. I haven't heard the Q701 or the K702, so maybe I will try those as well.

Oct 18, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #4,953 of 12,548
Well hopefully if I do get the HD600, it leaves a better impression than its big brother the Hd 650 which I didn't like as much because I felt they lacked dynamics, and the treble was really rolled off. I haven't heard the Q701 or the K702, so maybe I will try those as well.

As devhen said, if you want something forward in the mids, go for the HD600. The dt880's aren't really mid-centric, but the mids are very good IMO.

However I wouldn't recommend the K701, it lacked bass and was too thin sounding to me. Some people say that the bass was improved in the Q701, but I haven't heard it so I can't comment on that.

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #4,954 of 12,548
Actually try the dt 880 on the new Schiit Vali, when I wanted more forward mids from the dt 880 I hooked it up to a hybrid tube. The Vali is being reported as having a very clean and dynamic sound, with still a hint of the Tube Mids. But I also find that when fully balancd, out of by AGD NFB 10ES2 the dt 880 get's much more transparent. I have a number of vocal heavy songs in which the mastering places the vocals forward, the balanced dt 880 [imo] has a great sense of intimacy on tracks mastered to with forward vocals 

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #4,955 of 12,548
Hmm. Perhaps you should tip-toe with me over to the Film Score Monthly Forum where the opinion on that is distinctly divided. Over there they tend to regard Zimmer much as we regard Beats.  :wink:
Meh. Don't care. As long as I like it, I don't give two schiit amps about what other ppl think about it. I don't buy/listen to things just to impress/please other ppl. :dt880smile:

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #4,956 of 12,548
Meh. Don't care. As long as I like it, I don't give two schiit amps about what other ppl think about it. I don't buy/listen to things just to impress/please other ppl.
dt880smile.png

xD nice joke 

Oct 18, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #4,957 of 12,548
Love how this happens after I pull the trigger on a $250 pair, but I see that Canada Computers is applying a $116 discount to the dt880 600ohm model if you use online shipping (bringing the price to $233 CDN before shipping and tax...$272 after I believe). Just thought I would let any potential buyers know that they seem to be going for good prices this week up here in Canada
bigsmile_face.gif

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=16_1106&item_id=052283

(Note: they also seem to have some pretty good online discounts for other beyers and Shure products too)

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #4,958 of 12,548
Meh. Don't care. As long as I like it, I don't give two schiit amps about what other ppl think about it. I don't buy/listen to things just to impress/please other ppl.
dt880smile.png

Same way I feel about historically informed performance. Far too much elitism and snobbishness tied to that movement. Which is a shame, since I don't find anything wrong with the concept itself. Just the attitude.

Unfortunately, I also don't really like any of it I've heard. Personally, I think it sounds like a lot of cats yowling and scratching on a giant blackboard, but whatever. Lots of people enjoy it, and I'd be the last person to tell them they're wrong.

Oct 18, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #4,959 of 12,548
  I don't know what your price range is but if you let us "here" know we can probably try to point you to the right direction.

My setup:

Schiit Bifrost Uber/Asgard 2.

There is some but not much treble spike with the dt880/modi/asgard 2, "still not annoying as HE400's treble spike imho.  But when I upgraded to the bifrost uber it actually when away, at lease what I can hear from the modi/asgard2 vs bifrost/asgard2 set up.  Bifrost tends to take all of the negativity away from the modi some how.  Bifrost Uber/Asgard2/DT880 now sounds very neutral imho.

Some say DT880 has a treble spike, some says it does not.  It really depends on what you're pairing it with really.

I'm running the same setup with my modded DT880. I agree with everything you said. The treble is really smooth and easy to listen to while still being detailed. Definitely not sibilant at all with most of my recordings that are of quality. The DT880 really doesn't have a treble spike unless you're sensitive to treble or it is being underpowered. My DT880s used to sound really thin and not very good before finding correct synergy. I like treble too so maybe I prefer a "hot" treble but I wouldn't even call it that. It just sounds perfect ;]

Oct 18, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #4,960 of 12,548
Just got my DT 880 250ohm Premiums in the mail yesterday. :D :D :D  I love them, so nice and comfy,and the sound is amazing!  This is my first pair of researched quality cans.  Couldn't be more pleased.  Now I just need Vinnie at Red Wine Audio to get and send back my iMod :p

As soon as I got the 880's out of the package I braided the cable.  Too long, and brading shortened it enough.  I'd perfer that to a coiled cable.

I think yesterday I had my first eargasm listening to some flac's from my laptop > Fiio E17 > DT 880s.
L3000.gif

Oct 18, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #4,961 of 12,548
  Just got my DT 880 250ohm Premiums in the mail yesterday. :D :D :D  I love them, so nice and comfy,and the sound is amazing!  This is my first pair of researched quality cans.  Couldn't be more pleased.  Now I just need Vinnie at Red Wine Audio to get and send back my iMod :p

As soon as I got the 880's out of the package I braided the cable.  Too long, and brading shortened it enough.  I'd perfer that to a coiled cable.

I think yesterday I had my first eargasm listening to some flac's from my laptop > Fiio E17 > DT 880s.
L3000.gif

Congrats man! They are excellent headphones :D 

Oct 18, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #4,962 of 12,548
I have DT880 pros and I find the clamping a bit too much for my sensitive head.. is there anything I can do to loosen the clamping force? would stretching it with my hands or putting something in between make any difference...

Oct 18, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #4,963 of 12,548
The headband is all metal and made out of spring steel, you can unsnap the padding and see for yourself. One could probably bend the metal outwards a bit to relieve the pressure. I would do this carefully, the steel band is quite thick and if you bend it a bit at a time if should be good.

Oct 19, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #4,964 of 12,548
Yea, I can be sensitive to the clamping. I tried on my roommates Beats Pro, and the clamping pressure on those things made me feel like I was in a headlock.

Anyway, I've been using my 880s with my Nuforce uDAC2 though USB on my computer all morning.  These things make me want to listen to my entire music collection again! 
biggrin.gif
Loving these, if I hadn't already mentioned it.
L3000.gif

Oct 19, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #4,965 of 12,548

Here you go:

For future reference, you can get the uncompensated chart for any of the HeadRoom graphs by "hacking" the URL at the bottom of the measurement overlay. If you subtract two from the number (e.g. &graphID[]=963 becomes &graphID[]=961) you'll get the uncompensated trace. IIRC, subtracting one gives you compensated but unsmoothed trace. You then copy the modified URL and open it in a new tab/window. For instance, the URL for the chart above is:

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=961&graphID[]=571&graphID[]=851&scale=30

For some reason they don't tell you this anywhere on the site, and I only found out from somebody else here on Head-Fi. I suppose this is because, to the untrained eye, uncompensated and unsmoothed results look horrible. 
smile.gif

Thank You so much !!! works for me :)
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back