The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Oct 5, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #4,816 of 12,546
Thanks, I literally ordered 10 min ago at $244, and now the price went back up to $314.  For some reason that model the price is always fluctuating. I was going to go for the Pros, but really perferred the straight cord, figuring even though it's long, I can braid it to shorten it if I need.  But I'm definitely  excited to get them :D :D

Oct 5, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #4,817 of 12,546
  Thanks, I literally ordered 10 min ago at $244, and now the price went back up to $314.  For some reason that model the price is always fluctuating. I was going to go for the Pros, but really perferred the straight cord, figuring even though it's long, I can braid it to shorten it if I need.  But I'm definitely  excited to get them :D :D

as long as you paid about $240 for them new ur good. I paid like $235 for my Pro, either way enjoy! 

Oct 5, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #4,818 of 12,546
Thanks, I plan to. 
L3000.gif
  These will be my first actual great pair of cans.  I have Bose QC3, but use them mainly for plane rides or gaming.  Had them sine 2007.  This is the first pair that I wised up and researched before purchasing so I'm pretty excited.

Oct 5, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #4,819 of 12,546
  Thanks, I plan to. 
L3000.gif
  These will be my first actual great pair of cans.  I have Bose QC3, but use them mainly for plane rides or gaming.  Had them sine 2007.  This is the first pair that I wised up and researched before purchasing so I'm pretty excited.

We are excited for you as well :D we might have another Beyer Fan on our hands ^^ 

Oct 5, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #4,820 of 12,546

It is a simple cash grab technique. The vendor knows what the minimum they want is, they also know the highest price they can ask. All they have to do is have a script that rotates the price around. That way they get those who are in a hurry or don't know the price should be lower and they get a spread of profit margins. Clever, but essentially dishonest. At least this is my belief for explaining this rotating price we keep hearing about.

Oct 5, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #4,821 of 12,546
It is a simple cash grab technique. The vendor knows what the minimum they want is, they also know the highest price they can ask. All they have to do is have a script that rotates the price around. That way they get those who are in a hurry or don't know the price should be lower and they get a spread of profit margins. Clever, but essentially dishonest. At least this is my belief for explaining this rotating price we keep hearing about.

This trick also makes you impatient , once they fall back to the low price, most will pull the trigger. If they stay low, everybody will be in no hurry so their sale drops. Same trick as dealing with girl friends.

Oct 5, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #4,822 of 12,546
Thats what I figured was going on.  Also explains why at times as the price was dropping, it never dropped as low as it had been before.  Only briefly has it hit $244.

Oct 6, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #4,823 of 12,546
Then will someone please explain why the DT990 pro costs $150? It's been like that for more than a month now, I'm so tempted to buy it but there's no $$ in my wallet :frowning2:

Oct 6, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #4,824 of 12,546
Then will someone please explain why the DT990 pro costs $150? It's been like that for more than a month now, I'm so tempted to buy it but there's no $$ in my wallet
frown.gif

From what I heard, people think it's ugly. It's always been dirt cheap apprently because it looks different. 

Oct 6, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #4,825 of 12,546

From what I heard, people think it's ugly. It's always been dirt cheap apprently because it looks different.

I would also say that the sound signature of the 990 never really won the masses over so the demand never allowed the price to rise to where the 880 has managed. I know that based on reviews of the 990 I opted for the 880s.

Oct 6, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #4,826 of 12,546

Well, no one really cares about the looks since I'm not going to go outside with an open headphone. Besides, when they're on your head, you can't really see their ugliness. So why not just enjoy what you're listening to.

Oct 6, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #4,827 of 12,546
I would also say that the sound signature of the 990 never really won the masses over so the demand never allowed the price to rise to where the 880 has managed. I know that based on reviews of the 990 I opted for the 880s.

Actually the Premium dt990's are currently sold for $285 250ohm and $350 for the 600ohm. Prices have gone up , I remember they were a bit cheaper before.

Oct 6, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #4,828 of 12,546
Well, no one really cares about the looks since I'm not going to go outside with an open headphone. Besides, when they're on your head, you can't really see their ugliness. So why not just enjoy what you're listening to.
Exactly! Monoprice 8323's to a Tee, except for the open part.

Enjoy the sound, they are for your ears not your neck. :D

Oct 6, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #4,829 of 12,546

I liked both the 880 and the 990, the 990 was great for Techno, Hip Hop and Classical, the Dt 880 was good for everything else, and the 600 ohm Dt 990 and the Preium Verisions of the Dt 990 are still like $300, for what ever reason the Pro Version of the 990 and the 880 are both rather cheap, I think it's a combinaation of the Coiled Cable and the Looks [being that the 990 pro looks nothing like the other open DT Open backs] is why it is so cheap. But Again I like the black grills and coiled cable! 

I think you've missed the point that I loved my Dt 990 Pro. I recommend it over the Preuim, which is btw like $300 dollars, daily

I did love my dt 990 pro! But the HE 400 is a step above it for EDM, that said the $500 I spent on the HE 400, shows how good the DT 990 is at $150 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back