The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Jan 30, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #256 of 12,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by David.M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
-_-
But i am truly skeptical of the whole "600 ohm theory", I've only had the DT880/250Ω for 3 months & I really love them. The only complaint i have with these cans are that they can be a bit analytical sometimes & that the bass presentation could have been better. I think they have enjoyable relaxing bass, but not in a fun rhythmically fast paced/feet tapping kind of way.

See my original opening post
wink.gif

The flaws in the other DT880 are very much fixed in the DT880/600

Also, this impression is from a classically trained person, that being the DT880/600 is has the best and most accurate timbre he's heard:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/bey...ps1000-454208/

Quote:

That being said, I have to confess that recently I am in awe with my 600 Ohm DT880. For acoustically recorded music (as opposed to music we usually listen to with amplification, such as jazz, pop-rock etc) ,
I think the 600 ohm DT880s ( I don't like the lower impedance versions) are the most timbre accurate (I choose my words very carefully, I didn't say most revealing) headphones I have ever heard.
They take time to get to their best, but it's the first time I hear this kind of instrument timbre accuracy on a pair of headphones.

I have far less experience in the headphone domain than the speaker domain, so I have never heard the K1000, the Qualia, the Omega, the Orpheus, or the R10.
Nor the newest HD800 and T1.
But I've listened to my best recorded CDs and SACDs with many of the expensive Denon, Audio Technica, Mb Quart/Maestro, and of course Grado.
I never thought I'd feel like this, because so-called "accuracy" is always room acoutics dependant, so we always can argue that different devices' sound signatures are like different rooms.
But, that is the only pair of heaphones I've heard that gets the right timbre for every instrument and voice, even in big symphonic recordings. I don't love my HD650s that much anymore (still on certain types of recordings or music), because coming from the Beyers I hear distortion in the highs.
I just cancelled my order for the Grado PS1000 after a very careful listening session comparing them with the DT880s. Both had two weeks of 24/7 run-in time, and I compared them on different amps including the flagship Rudistor combo and the Lavry DA11.

I was contemplating on getting the DT990/600 in the future since i heard they're more "fun", but i wouldn't wanna loose the accuracy/superb detail that the dt880's are well known for.

maybe i should buy both ? and see which one i prefer, and send the one i don't like back to Drew? or maybe keep both and sell my current 880/250
beyersmile.png

damn, I am so close in finding my perfect headphones, I'm getting a bit teary guys
crybaby.gif

Tbh, I dunno why timbre is not considered by many to be important. I consider it to be very important, particularly if you're aiming for the most accurate sound possible.
I love my timbre. It can make a song easily via more emotion.

Jan 30, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #257 of 12,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
See my original opening post
wink.gif

The flaws in the other DT880 are very much fixed in the DT880/600

Also, this impression is from a classically trained person, that being the DT880/600 is has the best and most accurate timbre he's heard:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/bey...ps1000-454208/

Tbh, I dunno why timbre is not considered by many to be important. I consider it to be very important, particularly if you're aiming for the most accurate sound possible.
I love my timbre. It can make a song easily via more emotion.

Cause most headphones get it wrong, and it's not a wow factor like bass or extended highs. I never heard the DT880 600 ohm, so I can't say.. The most accurate portrayal of timbre that I heard came from the DT48/K1000. I would also put the 701 in there for the most part.. They are good with acoustics.. They have a hint of warmth which gives the acoustics a more palpable presentation.. More pleasing sound then the DT48/K1000 but a bit less realistic and less resolving.

Jan 31, 2010 at 9:25 AM Post #259 of 12,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The most accurate portrayal of timbre that I heard came from the DT48/K1000.

As generally known, you are an unconvinceable DT48 fanboy.

Some here (Edit SAME HERE
biggrin.gif
) with the modded MS Pro - if further break-in doesn't work wonders, the DT880'600 won't cut the mustard to dethrone my big Alessandro. It just isn't able to present that much emotion & naturalness until now, and also the very low registers still do work-to-rule in comparison. The DT880'600 is only slightly below the MS Pro now, the 250Ω version was a whole class below IMO.

Jan 31, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #260 of 12,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As generally known, you are an unconvinceable DT48 fanboy.

Some here with the modded MS Pro - if further break-in doesn't work wonders, the DT880'600 won't cut the mustard to dethrone my big Alessandro. It just isn't able to present that much emotion & naturalness until now, and also the very low registers still do work-to-rule in comparison. The DT880'600 is only slightly below the MS Pro now, the 250? version was a whole class below IMO.

Which changes nothing. It's what I hear. I listed the two most accurate in terms of timbre. DT48/K1000. You disagree. WGAF.

Jan 31, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #261 of 12,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You disagree.

I didn't. I stated "same here", but mistyped that.
wink.gif

Feb 1, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #262 of 12,546
Still not entirely content with the deep bass, I did a partial taping of the perforated inner pad area, which thumbed things up a bit.

I must say, deep bass authority is my only issue though, and it's not as bad as some of the K701s I've tried. The soul of music is in the mids anyway, and that is where the 880'600 has its beef.

Feb 2, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #263 of 12,546
Finally received my custom dt880s 600 ohms. Still waiting on my amp, so I just plugged these into my laptop jack. sa5000 were bright and thin, but these certainly aren't to my ears. They sound a lot like my dt770, in a good way.

Feb 2, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #264 of 12,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still not entirely content with the deep bass, I did a partial taping of the perforated inner pad area, which thumbed things up a bit.

I must say, deep bass authority is my only issue though, and it's not as bad as some of the K701s I've tried. The soul of music is in the mids anyway, and that is where the 880'600 has its beef.

Burn-in helps the deep bass authority quite a bit.
It will give deep bass when there is deep bass. It doesn't bloat it at all nor leave it out either.

Feb 2, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #265 of 12,546
The DT880 goes deep, but it doesn't have a great deal of bass weight. Not bad, and very enjoyable bass, but less weight than many other Beyer cans.

Feb 2, 2010 at 7:41 AM Post #266 of 12,546
I'll go on looking if it's possible to tinker a bit more rumble into it, be it NoXter's "closed back" mod, be it further padrolling or trying the old 2003 housings.

Feb 2, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #268 of 12,546
i am using 600 ohm version for classical music for a while. and i pretty like it. (especially when i compare with grado rs1
smily_headphones1.gif
).

certainly it sounds cleaner and more sterile by considering 250 ohm version. also tube amp. synergy much better than other dt880s

but still i feel some harshness on high. freq. sometimes. it's not annoying much but do you think with better copper cable,can i solve this problem? (i'm using with ld mkiii)

also I'm curious that,is there any user who can compare 600 ohm version with akgk701-2 for clasiccal music?

Feb 2, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #269 of 12,546
I am convinced that houseware paper fleece sheets as to be found on the Spritzer-modded SR404 work better for taming shrillness than recabling.

_P1010041-1.jpg

Feb 2, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #270 of 12,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by witness /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i am using 600 ohm version for classical music for a while. and i pretty like it. (especially when i compare with grado rs1
smily_headphones1.gif
).

certainly it sounds cleaner and more sterile by considering 250 ohm version. also tube amp. synergy much better than other dt880s

but still i feel some harshness on high. freq. sometimes. it's not annoying much but do you think with better copper cable,can i solve this problem? (i'm using with ld mkiii)

also I'm curious that,is there any user who can compare 600 ohm version with akgk701-2 for clasiccal music?

You might want to try different DAC and AMP. The brightness or harshness of DT880/250 was issue when I had LD MKIII and V-DAC. After I had Caliente/Stello DA100 and beyond, I have never had those issue anymore, no matter 250 or 600 ohm version.

Then I was trying to dig out sharper sonic image out of DT880/250. It sounds a little bit foggy comparing to K702, but DT880 has richer sound and makes it more realistic sounding to me. I used to have hard time choosing between them.

After I had DT880/600, the I got the better part of both HPs and can not go back to K702 anymore.

My recent DAC upgrade to Ref-1 even further enhance the image sharpness while has no sigh of brightness or harshness at all. That was my take of improvement (in addition to bass authority) over PS Audio DLIII.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back