The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Aug 30, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #2,357 of 4,303
My 3 combined list of DT48 pics has crossed the 1,000 view mark.. 855 in one list alone.. Thanks for all the looks & support of the DT48.. I will be auditioning the B22, which the owner claims, has the best parts you could use in this amp.. If this amp really floors me I will try to buy it.. Maybe even trade my oppo83se or GP plus cash.. Will let you know how it goes.. It was made by fellow member fallen angel, so you know the Quality is top notch.

Aug 30, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #2,359 of 4,303

Quote:
My 3 combined list of DT48 pics has crossed the 1,000 view mark.. 855 in one list alone.. Thanks for all the looks & support of the DT48.. I will be auditioning the B22, which the owner claims, has the best parts you could use in this amp.. If this amp really floors me I will try to buy it.. Maybe even trade my oppo83se or GP plus cash.. Will let you know how it goes.. It was made by fellow member fallen angel, so you know the Quality is top notch.

Color me very interested in your audition of the Beta22. 

Aug 30, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #2,360 of 4,303

Leaner. Less 'natural' sounding. Less clarity & less micro mid range detail. (the degree varies on the DT48 model & era) Modern models, the difference is subtle... No smearing of the vocals on the SA5000 mid range. Bass sounds 'realistic' to me..No 900 'fart cannons,' If you want a open, dynamic headphone with a mid range that doesn't sound slow or sluggish for under a grand, maybe more, The SA5000 are very hard to beat..
Quote:

how do the mids stack to the sa5k? apparently the sa5k is the king of speed? I don't like slow headphones.

Aug 30, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #2,361 of 4,303
About the B22.. Will try them mid September. 5 ohm, & 200 ohm.. If I'm lucky, maybe I can trade some of my gear plus cash for it.. He claims the low ohms shouldn't be a problem. Think it's the 3 channel make..SE.. Of course, the sound must really better my current amp.. I have over 60 BR titles, & the oppo is superior to my PS3 for BR playback. I'd rather sell my GP V9, but would depend on the B22 owner, & how my amp mates with his E8..

Aug 30, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #2,362 of 4,303
Which ones were leaner and less 'natural' sounding with less clarity and detail? Was that the sa5000 or the dt48?

Quote:
Leaner. Less 'natural' sounding. Less clarity & less micro mid range detail. (the degree varies on the DT48 model & era) Modern models, the difference is subtle... No smearing of the vocals on the SA5000 mid range. Bass sounds 'realistic' to me..No 900 'fart cannons,' If you want a open, dynamic headphone with a mid range that doesn't sound slow or sluggish for under a grand, maybe more, The SA5000 are very hard to beat..

Aug 31, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #2,363 of 4,303

Okay, I am ordering my DT48 E's tomorrow. I have to choose between the 25 ohm and the 200 ohm. I have gone on and on about how I want to achieve sonic fidelity and whatnot and how a flat frequency response is important to me. I know I already asked but I got all kinds of mixed reviews. What should I get? Is one more compatible with amps (especially portable) than others? Please, your responses are appreciated as I am ordering tomorrow! I am VERY excited.

Aug 31, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #2,364 of 4,303
[size=medium]
My DT-48S came in today. It's a 5 ohm version, but I don't think it's a Nagra DT-48S though. The cups are entirely silver colored, but the pads and headband are black. It's possible that the pads and the headband may have been replaced though. Does anyone else have a DT-48S similar to mine?

I have only listened to it for a few hours so treat my impressions with some healthy skepticism. I'm running them off my E-MU 0404.

I think the DT-48S at least equals the ER-4S in detail.  I noticed subtle tones while I was listening to Andrew Bird and the Mysterious Production of Eggs, tones which I do not remember hearing on the ER-4S.  I can also easily pick out recording flaws such as clipping on tracks that I previously considered fairly well-recorded. However, the difference in detail may be caused by differences in volume. I was listening to the DT-48S louder than I would usually listen to music.

It also seems to replicated the timbre of instruments well. I found the timbre of instruments pretty realistic. I feel that this could be partially due to detail. Because the DT-48S is adequately detailed, it can show subtle differences in tone. This trait along with the already accurate timbre of instruments helped to make the sound more real. Because of this, I feel the DT-48S shows more of the life in a recording than a significantly less detailed headphone would. Please do not take this to mean that it makes recordings sound lively. It only means that the DT-48S can show more of what is actually there than a lesser headphone. It will not inject liveliness into a lifeless recording.

It is about as lean as the ER-4S in bass response. I'm not too bothered by it, but I like headphones that are notoriously bass shy such as the ER-4S and the K500. If you want a full response in the lower end, you probably wouldn't enjoy this headphone, at least in this respect.

The DT-48S can replicate dynamics decently as well. Dynamic shifts are fairly strong, but not limitless. It's not nearly as good as a good pair of speakers in this respect. It may not even be as good as more dynamic sounding headphones in this category either. I feel this is partially due to bass response. The authority in the lower frequencies helps create a feeling of heft that aids in the creation of a strongly dynamic sound. Due to the lean bass, a full orchstral climax will not have the weight to it that it would have on a fuller sounding headphone. Therefore, it will sound a bit compromised in dynamics with certain music.

A possible flaw of the DT-48 is an inability to play densely layered music without sounding congested. On several of my recordings, the DT-48S struggled with handling a full orchestra. It could be that all of those recordings are not up to par, but I don't remember the normal bias Lambdas or the BM5As struggling in this respect so I assume it's the DT-48S. 

One explanation for the congestion that isn't related to detail might be the small headstage of the DT-48S. Because the headstage is smaller than many other headphones, it would be easier for it to sound congested even when it can reproduce all the details.

In their overall presentation, I actually find the DT-48S to be very engaging. It's not perfect, but the combination of high detail, good tone reproduction, and strong dynamics makes for a pretty good sound. Since I paid less than one hundred bucks, I'm pretty satisfied with my purchase.

EDIT: I expanded and heavily revised my post to make it more helpful. I hope you guys appreciate the revision.
[/size]

[size=medium]The DT-48 is about as lean on mid-bass and bass as the ER-4S. I am not too bother by the bass response. However, I enjoy notoriously bass shy headphones such as the K500 and ER-4S. If you think those sound thin, then you probably wouldn't enjoy the DT-48S in this respect.[/size]
[size=medium]The DT-48 is about as lean on mid-bass and bass as the ER-4S. I am not too bother by the bass response. However, I enjoy notoriously bass shy headphones such as the K500 and ER-4S. If you think those sound thin, then you probably wouldn't enjoy the DT-48S in this respect.[/size]

Aug 31, 2010 at 5:32 AM Post #2,365 of 4,303
Congrats on your purchase.

Just some inputs regarding dynamic and congestion. Dynamic limitations if any are due to the EMU0404 amp. The DT48 is probably the best can I have heard by far in the dynamic area, making micro dynamic and macro dynamic completely alive and natural. Just totally lifelike. The experience is so strong and true to life that with good recordings the headphones simply disappear from my head, despite their weight and the heat. But you need to give it plenty of juice that the EMU0404 is certainly not providing.

Congestion is certainly not an aspect of the DT48 neither. I suspect it is either due to the EMU0404 (plugged into portable devices, the DT48 can sound congested) or an old vintage version. My former 1963 DT48S version actually sounded congested. Maybe the drivers got tired after almost 50 years... That also very well could explain why you feel a restrained dynamic. Actually, your description pretty much matches the sound of my old 1963 DT48S that I ended up selling...

Thanks for your inputs.

Quote:
The DT-48S can replicate dynamics decently as well. Dynamic shifts are fairly strong, but not limitless. It's not nearly as good as a good pair of speakers in this respect. It may not even be as good as more dynamic sounding headphones in this category either.

A possible flaw of the DT-48 is an inability to play densely layered music without sounding congested. On several of my recordings, the DT-48S struggled with handling a full orchestra. It could be that all of those recordings are not up to par, but I don't remember the normal bias Lambdas or the BM5As struggling in this respect so I assume it's the DT-48S. 

Aug 31, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #2,366 of 4,303

Don't forget that without a good source, your DT48 won't shine... Getting a beefy amp is nice, but I feel it is even more important to get a good source, especially with the DT48 that show you every flaw about recordings and upstream components...

Quote:

Aug 31, 2010 at 5:43 AM Post #2,367 of 4,303
Very interesting reading indeed this tutorial about equalization... And now if you pay attention to the DT48A FR chart, you will see a severe drop of 10dB at those frequency peaks (around 7khz and 13khz)... Coincidence
normal_smile .gif

Again, take the FR chart response of the LCD-2, and what do you see ?

Curiously, for both headphones (DT48 and LCD2), people seem to complain about rolled off treble, lack of presence, details, etc..... Or is it just our ears that have grown used to emphasized treble and edtails in most of audio playback system... I don't have the answer but the question is worth asking I believe.

Quote:
Ive read somewhere that the peak from 2-3khz is usual to our every day hearing, because the ear amplifies this area to understand speech and localize sounds. Reducing this peak slightly can be benificial but is easy to over-do. The peaks in the treble region however is totally unnatural and occurs with headphones specifically.

The creator of the EQ tutorial thread used a K701 and reduced 2 peaks in the treble region. 

Aug 31, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #2,368 of 4,303
hehe, Bubba you're as much of a DT48 fanboy as I am towards SONY :p

Someone said on the forum that after you get used to the high-end SONY sound, everything sounds like it's missing something...I've had the cd900st on trial for a few days. I can fully understand why some ppl could say that the dt48 is unbearable and dull as a dishwasher. I first really hated the cd900st, it doesn't have a loud/fast mid-bass that increases PRaT...yet it's got a very similar color to the cd3k IMO(and in other japanese cd3k owners). It doesn't cheat, it doesn't have a WOW factor, it doesn't color the SS as if you were dreaming in a bubble like the cd3k. Its SS is even better than the HFI-780 to my ears, it's really amazing.

I've rolled the earpads coz I've got big ears, but I might regret selling it...Its drivers are only 40mm so the bass is not as powerful/tight as on 50mm drivers, but its sound is entertaining coz it doesn't lie. It'd be like an average girl that's always honest and doesn't lie, as compared to a sex bomb that plays you like a fool :p

Aug 31, 2010 at 11:36 AM Post #2,369 of 4,303
The SA5000's mid range

Quote:
Which ones were leaner and less 'natural' sounding with less clarity and detail? Was that the sa5000 or the dt48?

If this was a 60's DT48S then I can understand the congestion problem. I owned 13 DT48 models, & my 60's DT48 was the worst of the bunch.. But too be fair to this model, Congestion isn't even in the DT48's vocabulary.. A better or amp more tuned to the DT48, would REALLY lessen this problem.. My DT48S had minor congestion, used with a good amp, but bothered me me cause my other 9 had NO congestion. Now ohm adapters really mess with my 5 ohm DT48's..
Quote:
[size=medium]
My DT-48S came in today. It's a 5 ohm version, but I don't think it's a Nagra DT-48S though. The cups are entirely silver colored, but the pads and headband are black. It's possible that the pads and the headband may have been replaced though. Does anyone else have a DT-48S similar to mine?

I have only listened to it for a few hours so treat my impressions with some healthy skepticism. I'm running them off my E-MU 0404.

I think the DT-48S at least equals the ER-4S in detail.  I noticed subtle tones while I was listening to Andrew Bird and the Mysterious Production of Eggs, tones which I do not remember hearing on the ER-4S.  I can also easily pick out recording flaws such as clipping on tracks that I previously considered fairly well-recorded. However, the difference in detail may be caused by differences in volume. I was listening to the DT-48S louder than I would usually listen to music.

It also seems to replicated the timbre of instruments well. I found the timbre of instruments pretty realistic. I feel that this could be partially due to detail. Because the DT-48S is adequately detailed, it can show subtle differences in tone. This trait along with the already accurate timbre of instruments helped to make the sound more real. Because of this, I feel the DT-48S shows more of the life in a recording than a significantly less detailed headphone would. Please do not take this to mean that it makes recordings sound lively. It only means that the DT-48S can show more of what is actually there than a lesser headphone. It will not inject liveliness into a lifeless recording.

It is about as lean as the ER-4S in bass response. I'm not too bothered by it, but I like headphones that are notoriously bass shy such as the ER-4S and the K500. If you want a full response in the lower end, you probably wouldn't enjoy this headphone, at least in this respect.

The DT-48S can replicate dynamics decently as well. Dynamic shifts are fairly strong, but not limitless. It's not nearly as good as a good pair of speakers in this respect. It may not even be as good as more dynamic sounding headphones in this category either. I feel this is partially due to bass response. The authority in the lower frequencies helps create a feeling of heft that aids in the creation of a strongly dynamic sound. Due to the lean bass, a full orchstral climax will not have the weight to it that it would have on a fuller sounding headphone. Therefore, it will sound a bit compromised in dynamics with certain music.

One explanation for the congestion that isn't related to detail might be the small headstage of the DT-48S. Because the headstage is smaller than many other headphones, it would be easier for it to sound congested even when it can reproduce all the details.

In their overall presentation, I actually find the DT-48S to be very engaging. It's not perfect, but the combination of high detail, good tone reproduction, and strong dynamics makes for a pretty good sound. Since I paid less than one hundred bucks, I'm pretty satisfied with my purchase.

EDIT: I expanded and heavily revised my post to make it more helpful. I hope you guys appreciate the revision.
[/size]

Yes, I owned your pair..:) I was very suprised to hear congestion from the DT48.. But yours was 25ohms.. If Panada has the NAGRA DT48S 50's model.. Very lucky if you do.. Then it sounds like they have a problem or it's the amp.. My NAGRA 50's are the greatest DT48 headphone I ever owned.. But with a 50 ohm adapter.. Man.. Smog city.. Really sucks... It was valuable information.. Good, bad, or indifferent. As long as you don't use one word adjectives to describe the DT48, like SUCK..Which is not helpful to no one, & is flame bait, you will be welcome..

Quote:
Congrats on your purchase.

Just some inputs regarding dynamic and congestion. Dynamic limitations if any are due to the EMU0404 amp. The DT48 is probably the best can I have heard by far in the dynamic area, making micro dynamic and macro dynamic completely alive and natural. Just totally lifelike. The experience is so strong and true to life that with good recordings the headphones simply disappear from my head, despite their weight and the heat. But you need to give it plenty of juice that the EMU0404 is certainly not providing.

Congestion is certainly not an aspect of the DT48 neither. I suspect it is either due to the EMU0404 (plugged into portable devices, the DT48 can sound congested) or an old vintage version. My former 1963 DT48S version actually sounded congested. Maybe the drivers got tired after almost 50 years... That also very well could explain why you feel a restrained dynamic. Actually, your description pretty much matches the sound of my old 1963 DT48S that I ended up selling...

Thanks for your inputs.

Aug 31, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #2,370 of 4,303
Yes, I am.. But too be fair.. I am a huge SA5000 fan.. & was a bit in the honeymoon stage with the DT48 when I sold them.. They did at least 3 things better, maybe a few more... I thought about buying another pair, but the cable job is horrid.. Just do a search. The DT48 took me 4 days to really appreciate them. I had buyers remorse for the first 1/2 to a hr.. Glad you can enjoy music from both sides of the spectrum..

Quote:
hehe, Bubba you're as much of a DT48 fanboy as I am towards SONY :p

Someone said on the forum that after you get used to the high-end SONY sound, everything sounds like it's missing something...I've had the cd900st on trial for a few days. I can fully understand why some ppl could say that the dt48 is unbearable and dull as a dishwasher. I first really hated the cd900st, it doesn't have a loud/fast mid-bass that increases PRaT...yet it's got a very similar color to the cd3k IMO(and in other japanese cd3k owners). It doesn't cheat, it doesn't have a WOW factor, it doesn't color the SS as if you were dreaming in a bubble like the cd3k. It's SS is even better than the HFI-780 to my ears, it's really amazing.

I've rolled the earpads coz I've got big ears, but I might regret selling it...Its drivers are only 40mm so the bass is not as powerful/tight as on 50mm drivers, but its sound is entertaining coz it doesn't lie. It'd be like an average girl that's always honest and doesn't lie, as compared to a sex bomb that plays you like a fool :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back