The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Aug 28, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #2,341 of 4,303

Quote:
Interesting...thanks. So to make ANY of your headphones sound more speaker like...or more true to the source... you would have to eq out the peaks...is that correct?  How big are the peaks?

to my ears, using Sinegen, the biggest peak for my ears is right at 7k, and dropping it 6-7dB balances it out.  There's a smaller one at 12k and an even smaller one at around 3k.

Aug 28, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #2,342 of 4,303

Quote:
to my ears, using Sinegen, the biggest peak for my ears is right at 7k, and dropping it 6-7dB balances it out.  There's a smaller one at 12k and an even smaller one at around 3k.

Interesting...so your ears don't add that peak at 2.8 at all. I wonder what results I'd get with the702. That one sounds peaked in the upper mids to my ears...even without using sinegen. The dt250 also has a peak, but closer to the 2-3khz range...as I hear it. I find that one fairly annoying on some songs. I'll have a go at my dt48 later.

Aug 28, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #2,343 of 4,303

Maybe I mis read it.. But I swear a member told me that.. I need to buy a new 200ohm model to compare to my Franken DT48E 200 ohms.. It was supposly owned by the founder of Sterophile, & was his reference cans.. They are the most different sound DT48 headphones I have heard, which leads me to believe some tinkering was done.. I actually notice a sense of warmth.. & is much easier to drive then my 25ohm DT48, which makes no sense to me.. They are much more detailed with ambient souds then my other 25ohm DT48 models I heard & owned.. I never undersood the difference between detail & musical detail. These headphones open the flood gates in that response.. Every instrument is under a microscope with a better sense of realism, timbre, & just sounds fuller to easier to get a mental image of the instrument being played & their dimensions, sixe, length, width..

They also offer a unique sound stae which I find is deeper them other DT48 models, & which I call the 3 tier system.. Think of a straight line with instruments at the top.. They soud the loudest & more upfront.. then in the middle of the line you have another set up imnstruments that are less loud & prominent, but you know they are there.. Then at the end of the line you hear instruments that are harder to hear then the others, but you know they are there.. & what makes it special is that they are all perfectly in synch with the other instruments.. I neer heard anything like it before.. I paid 200.00.. They are easily worth 300.00.. Just bothers me I was out bid on two very unique DT48a models with the same unique headband as my special Franken DT48 200 model.. I'm still convinced some internal moddding was done to these..
Quote:

This is my experience as well. I would also say that the 200 ohm might sound so laid back precisely because it's less 'aggressively' detailed. In chronological order, my 200 ohm became somewhat neglected after my modern 25 ohm arrived and that subsequently saw less head-time when I got my slightly vintage 25 ohm. But that's personal preference of course. The 200 ohm is definitely the smoothest of the bunch. 

Aug 28, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #2,344 of 4,303
Ive read somewhere that the peak from 2-3khz is usual to our every day hearing, because the ear amplifies this area to understand speech and localize sounds. Reducing this peak slightly can be benificial but is easy to over-do. The peaks in the treble region however is totally unnatural and occurs with headphones specifically.

The creator of the EQ tutorial thread used a K701 and reduced 2 peaks in the treble region. 

Quote:
Interesting...so your ears don't add that peak at 2.8 at all. I wonder what results I'd get with the702. That one sounds peaked in the upper mids to my ears...even without using sinegen. The dt250 also has a peak, but closer to the 2-3khz range...as I hear it. I find that one fairly annoying on some songs. I'll have a go at my dt48 later.

Aug 28, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #2,348 of 4,303
Are there any FR graphs for the DT48s?

It seems like, if I read everyone correctly, that the DT48A - the 5 ohm one - is the version to get. One question: Can you power the DT48A with a standard headamp?

Another question: Has anyone tried the DT48s straight out of an iPhone or computer? I know they are revealing, often I want to walk around the house with my phones and not have an amp.

Aug 28, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #2,349 of 4,303
Only had a brief listen, but they sounded pretty good out of the Sansa Clip other than the bass, which went bonkers trying to handle Pete Rocks "the Creator". Unless you really like your bass they might be fine out of your iPhone. That's the 25ohm model I'm referring to.

Aug 28, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #2,350 of 4,303

Well if it is usual to our every day hearing there's no need to eq it out. It would be there when we listen to live music, speakers, etc. So I say just leave it. It that's how we process all that we hear, it would sound unnatural to eq it out. However I'm all for reducing the upper mid/treble peaks if they are only headphone related. Eq'ing them out would make the phones sound more like speakers or live music.
Quote:
Ive read somewhere that the peak from 2-3khz is usual to our every day hearing, because the ear amplifies this area to understand speech and localize sounds. Reducing this peak slightly can be benificial but is easy to over-do. The peaks in the treble region however is totally unnatural and occurs with headphones specifically.

The creator of the EQ tutorial thread used a K701 and reduced 2 peaks in the treble region. 

Aug 29, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #2,351 of 4,303
Any more thoughts on amping these cans properly to get better low end....without spending an arm and a leg? I looked into the Creek obh-11 and it's definitely cheap enough, but there's very mixed reviews. There's an upgraded version, the OBH-11SE I think, that might be a good option. The firestone audio cute beyond is designed to work with phones down to 8ohms, so that might be an option too. As far as a receiver goes, I just don't have the space here in my small studio set up. My LD mkV is almost too big as it is! I'll hopefully have another impedance adapter later next week, so I'll definitely try that option first. But, I'm not too hopeful based upon past experience...and others' experience as well.

Aug 29, 2010 at 12:10 PM Post #2,352 of 4,303
That's too bad.. I think it would be your best bet for your needs.. The Yamaha also has a function (forgot the name) that increases the highs & low end & gives the bass more weight & impact.. Feels pretty natural too.. I use it a lot depending on my DT48..

Aug 29, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #2,353 of 4,303

Quote:
That's too bad.. I think it would be your best bet for your needs.. The Yamaha also has a function (forgot the name) that increases the highs & low end & gives the bass more weight & impact.. Feels pretty natural too.. I use it a lot depending on my DT48..

My girlfriend would kill me! I'm taking up too much room in the kitchen as it is, and it's a pain in the butt to move my gear out when I'm done working and back in when I need to. A nice little SS amp would be much better...but which one...?

Aug 29, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #2,354 of 4,303
Darn. The cheaper route is usually to get a power amp designed for speakers, because you're pretty much sure they have the necessary juice, and because they're cheaper than headphone-only amps. But the trade off is that they're big.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back