The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Aug 27, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #2,327 of 4,308

Some people go out of their way to bash a headphone.. The DT48 is not exception, but takes more of the brunt, due to their unconventional sound & design. These same people should be thanking the DT48.. If the DT48 bombed when released in the 50's Senn might have been reluctant to release their own headphone.. The 414.. & the DT48 is the grandfather of all headphones.. They deserve respect if you admire them or not.. I can make a list of things I don't like about the DT48..IMO they are treble lite, highs could be more pronounced, sound stage could be deeper, better low end & beefier bass etc.. But, they are so unique, & sound so insynch with the music, you forget about the 'flaws', & just focus on the music, which is perfectly balanced, which I can't say for ANY headphone I owned or heard.. They are the last piece to the proverbial puzzle.
Quote:
"put down a headphone for sounding like a headphone.."   Couldn't of said it better.  To me it was a "troll" posting.  but just once in awhile it gets to me why these people just can't go elsewhere.  I know I shouldn't let those postings get to me.  but at times they just do.  honestly, state what your likes and dislikes are and leave it at that.

BTW, a guy with 36 posts... I doubt he has actually ever even listened to them for any length of time.  If ever....

DT48 - so incredibly poor and yet still much vaunted by a couple of guys who post ad nauseam around here. lol.. Ok.. which 2 of you guys is starting all this trouble..:)

Quote:

Very honorable trait to have.

Quote:
I was just trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.  It was part of my penance.

Aug 27, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #2,329 of 4,308
From what I understand.. The 200ohm is more upfront while the 25ohm is a bit faster & more detailed.. Both are the new models.. I won't mention mine since they are unique from other 200ohm DT48 models.

Quote:
Alright, should I got with the 25 ohm or the 200 ohm for the DT48 E? I want whatever is best... and to me what is best is what provides the most sonic fidelity. 

Aug 27, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #2,330 of 4,308

Quote:
Alright, should I got with the 25 ohm or the 200 ohm for the DT48 E? I want whatever is best... and to me what is best is what provides the most sonic fidelity. 

Not many people have the 200 ohm version, but think unkle erik has both versions. He usually has excellent advice. 

Im pretty sure the general consensus is the 25 ohm is prefered.

Sonic fidelity is all up to the individuals expectations. FInd out what the differences in sound are between both versions and match it up with your prefrences. Also consider the amplifier used with them. 200 ohm I belive will require more amplifier power, but ask unkle to be sure.

Aug 27, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #2,331 of 4,308
How did you determine that there were peaks at 2.8 and 8khz? Are you sure it was the headphones and not something else in your set up? And if it was the phones how steep were the peaks? I'm very interested in this since I use them for mixing purposes. 

Quote:
Funny you asked. I actually emailed beyer asking about resonances/peaks:

[size=medium][size=12pt]Me - "I own  the beyerdynamic DT-48E 25 ohm headphones and use them to monitor  recordings. I noticed peaks in frequency response at 2.8khz and 8.0khz.  Should I remove those peaks with an equalizer? Or are the peaks  intentional/necessary?" [/size][/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]Beyer- "[/size]Thank you for your E-Mail and sorry for the late reply due to me not being in the office for the past 3 weeks.

Anyhow; the peaks are not intentional, they are caused by the construction of the housing and so to say mechanically caused. You might remove them with an equalizer if you like to, it’s not necessary though.

Many regards,

Peter Grooff
Product Manager Headzone® / Headphones / Headsets / OEM ProAudio 
beyerdynamic GmbH & Co. KG"

Every headphone has resonance in the treble range due to the acoustic impedance mismatch between transducer, ear canal and ear drum causing a half wavelength resonance in the canal. Their is also a 2.5 khz peak that is natural to our hearing. But really all headphones have treble problems that arent natural or intentional. I like to remove these resonances with a parametric EQ. 

The DT48 sounds great without EQ and hides its resonances well. But with proper EQ the changes can be beneficial. Follow this thread if your interested in proper equalization: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/413900/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial/450   

It is easy to mess up the sound with an EQ, so be careful. 

Aug 27, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #2,332 of 4,308
i find the 200 Ohm to be  more spacious and laid back...  and the 25 Ohm to be more upfront.   exact opposite.  But this is just my ears and amps... etc.

"From what I understand.. The 200ohm is more upfront while the 25ohm is a bit faster & more detailed"

Aug 27, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #2,333 of 4,308
haven't heard the 200ohm model, but you can't get more upfront than the 25ohm one, I don't think. I mean you're not just front row center, it's like you've got your head right inside the piano...or drums...guitar...whatever. As I wrote before....it's as if Norah Jones is next to you singing in your ear! A more than pleasant experience, I must say....
biggrin.gif

Quote:
i find the 200 Ohm to be  more spacious and laid back...  and the 25 Ohm to be more upfront.   exact opposite.  But this is just my ears and amps... etc.

"From what I understand.. The 200ohm is more upfront while the 25ohm is a bit faster & more detailed"

Aug 27, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #2,335 of 4,308

Quote:
How did you determine that there were peaks at 2.8 and 8khz? Are you sure it was the headphones and not something else in your set up? And if it was the phones how steep were the peaks? I'm very interested in this since I use them for mixing purposes. 

See this thread for explination: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/413900/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial

Aug 28, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #2,337 of 4,308

Quote:
See this thread for explination: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/413900/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial

Didn't have time to read the whole thing, so correct me if I'm wrong. It seems possible that at least part of what's responsible for the peaks at 2.8k and 8.0khz may be some other component of your audio chain besides the dt48....plus your ear's anatomy. Is that correct? Someone else may not get the same peaks with their amp/dac and their ears...or they may get no peaks at all. Perhaps the dt48 is flat after all?  

Aug 28, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #2,338 of 4,308

Quote:

This is my experience as well. I would also say that the 200 ohm might sound so laid back precisely because it's less 'aggressively' detailed. In chronological order, my 200 ohm became somewhat neglected after my modern 25 ohm arrived and that subsequently saw less head-time when I got my slightly vintage 25 ohm. But that's personal preference of course. The 200 ohm is definitely the smoothest of the bunch. 

Aug 28, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #2,339 of 4,308

The peaks are caused by the interaction of headphones and ears. It happens with every one of my headphones, always in the 2-3khz and 7-8khz range, dependending on which headphone im using.   

Here is a quote from the EQ thread:  

"I just performed a very interesting test. I put my headphones down on my desk, and turned SineGen up to its loudest output. I ran through the entire frequency range, and as far as I can tell, my headphones have a nearly perfectly linear frequency response. It is only when I actually put them on, so that the transducers are closely coupled with my ear canal and eardrum, that the frequency response becomes uneven."-piccolonamek
 -
Quote:
Didn't have time to read the whole thing, so correct me if I'm wrong. It seems possible that at least part of what's responsible for the peaks at 2.8k and 8.0khz may be some other component of your audio chain besides the dt48....plus your ear's anatomy. Is that correct? Someone else may not get the same peaks with their amp/dac and their ears...or they may get no peaks at all. Perhaps the dt48 is flat after all?  

Aug 28, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #2,340 of 4,308

Interesting...thanks. So to make ANY of your headphones sound more speaker like...or more true to the source... you would have to eq out the peaks...is that correct?  How big are the peaks?
Quote:
The peaks are caused by the interaction of headphones and ears. It happens with every one of my headphones, always in the 2-3khz and 7-8khz range, dependending on which headphone im using.   

Here is a quote from the EQ thread:  

"I just performed a very interesting test. I put my headphones down on my desk, and turned SineGen up to its loudest output. I ran through the entire frequency range, and as far as I can tell, my headphones have a nearly perfectly linear frequency response. It is only when I actually put them on, so that the transducers are closely coupled with my ear canal and eardrum, that the frequency response becomes uneven."-piccolonamek
 -

Users who are viewing this thread

Back