The Beyerdynamic DT250 Thread
Jun 14, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #421 of 1,049
SA-200? is that an integrated amp for speakers? Then the 250 ohm will work better with those plus they sound better too. Volumewise, there is not too much of a difference but the 80 ohm model sounds bloated and uncontrolled out of receivers and integrated amps (especially since most of them have high output impedance).

Jun 15, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #422 of 1,049
I went ahead and ordered a DT250- 80 ohm from Guitar Center. I had a gift card from them and they don't carry the 250 ohm version. We'll see how they compare against the M50.

Jun 15, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #424 of 1,049
So you're saying I should've just stuck with the M50? Argh.

Jun 15, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #427 of 1,049
I tend to disagree, I owned the 80ohm version of the DT250 for awhile and I did not find the bass to be muddy at all. Far from it infact.  IMO. 

Don't take what people say on forums as gospel. You will find varying opinions all over the place. Different systems, different ears, different preferences. The advice here can only take you so far.  Do the research. Limit to a selection of headphones and try to audition.

Cheers 

Jun 15, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #428 of 1,049
I tend to disagree, I owned the 80ohm version of the DT250 for awhile and I did not find the bass to be muddy at all. Far from it infact.  IMO. 

Don't take what people say on forums as gospel. You will find varying opinions all over the place. Different systems, different ears, different preferences. The advice here can only take you so far.  Do the research. Limit to a selection of headphones and try to audition.

Cheers 

+1

There are simply too many variables to say one version is going to suit everyone over the other.

I got a set of 250-80s in a trade and similarly don't find them muddy. In fact I like them a lot direct out of my PMPs. Not quite up to my HD600s in overall SQ but when there's other noise interfering with the open backs the 250-80s do quite nicely.

Of course I've not heard the 250 ohm version and based on the discussion here they are superior but my phone can drive the 80s well without an amp and that's a plus for them.

Jun 15, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #429 of 1,049
They might not be muddy if you don't miss anything better but with a better reference beside it, it is VERY noticeable. Its like a bad loudness war CD vs a good sounding first release when you compare the two(250 vs 80 ohm)

Jun 15, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #431 of 1,049
Well, I guess all I can do is give the DT250-80's a shot! If they don't work out, I'll just go back to the M50. I read the Headphone impedance article and it says the headphone impedance should be 8x or more the output of the amp. The output impedance of my stereo receiver (Technics SA-200) is around 8 ohms, I believe. I'd think the headphone jack would be around the same. The crazy thing is, when this receiver was new, most headphones had an 8 ohm impedance!

The reason I got the DT250 is because I returned my M50 under guitar center's pro coverage extended warranty plan for dried up and crappy ear pads. It's crazy that they only last a year. I decided I'd give another brand a shot so I went with the beyers which have the velour and are made in Germany. BTW, does anyone have pets? Does pet hair stick to the velour?

Edit:
Just playin' around with frequency response graphs and I found two other headphones that have nearly identical sound signatures; Sony - MDRv6 and the MDR-7506
=2361&graphID[]=1513&graphID[]=223&scale=30]http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2361&graphID[]=1513&graphID[]=223&scale=30

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #432 of 1,049
The velour does collect dusts and fine hairs, though easily removable by that sticky roller thing to clean the carpet

FYI, that 7506's graph is not so accurate. 

These are:

ttp://www.geocities.jp/ryumatsuba/mdr-7506.html

ttp://servizi.infotecna.it/Sony-MDR-7506-NOEQ/

I think you can easily notice (1) a dip in mid-ow area and (2) a rise in 1~2k.
I find those graphs match very well with my listening experience.

I think it's generally more accurate and productive to say that listening experience are relative (rather than saying people's opinion and attributions they make to particular gears endlessly varies). How you hear things now depends on what you're accustomed to hear right before. Because of this, 80ohms can sound clear and flat or most frequently dark, but what I found interesting about 250ohms thanks to you all is that it sounds to me natural against all the headphones I have/d in the similar price range and not just what I've accustomed to hear right before(sony's cd900st)! Or in macroscopic view, what I'd accustomed right before were all not-so-neutral/flat ones which made the flatness dt250/250 has stood out. By the way I had dt250 for about a year by now. 

Jun 17, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #433 of 1,049
Quote:
Just playin' around with frequency response graphs and I found two other headphones that have nearly identical sound signatures; Sony - MDRv6 and the MDR-7506

I have heard the 7506 and can tell you that they sound totally different to the beyers. It goes to show that frequency response graphs tell a very different story vs what is actually heard. Remember part of what comes out on the FR graph measuring the way it does is the velour vs pleather coloration making it to the measurement. So say for example one sounds thin in the lower mids yet the pleather pads give a hum/coloration in that area then it measures to be flat even though it is actually thin and will not have a good transient response in that area. Its too complicated to explain. I hope you understand what I mean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back