The Beyerdynamic DT250 Thread
Feb 15, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #766 of 1,049
Three year old thread still going strong... nice.
My pair of DT250/250 should be with me tomorrow or the day after. Looking forward to them very much, I heard them at a local meet and was once again reminded of the fact that I like flat, studio-oriented sound signatures. They'll get a nice, warm place in the midst of my Beyer collection and be a part of my quest for the "minimum viable system".

Feb 15, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #767 of 1,049
I just got a pair of HM5 velour pads, and they actually work quite well with the DT250's. The HM5 pleather pads make the bass way too boomy, but the velour ones preserve the good flat bass and extension of the normal DT250 250 ohm. They still have a bit of weird treble though, at least coming from HD600's.

Since my drivers don't have equal bass on each side im returning this pair to amazon and ordered another pair from amazon instead of a third party seller on amazon, so hopefully they will be from a different batch.

Feb 16, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #768 of 1,049
My DT250/250 arrived today. Did not have enough time, but so far I can't relate to any reports of this being bass-light. To the contrary, it shows quite strong bass presence. I could live with a bit more sparkle in the treble, but its a very satisfying sound signature.

Directly out of my iPhone its a bit too quiet overall, but I did not buy it for use while on the go anyway. It works perfectly fine with my DAC2, showing lots of detail and very good control down low. Comfort is fine, though it sits on the edges of my ears.

Feb 17, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #769 of 1,049
  My DT250/250 arrived today. Did not have enough time, but so far I can't relate to any reports of this being bass-light. To the contrary, it shows quite strong bass presence. I could live with a bit more sparkle in the treble, but its a very satisfying sound signature.

Directly out of my iPhone its a bit too quiet overall, but I did not buy it for use while on the go anyway. It works perfectly fine with my DAC2, showing lots of detail and very good control down low. Comfort is fine, though it sits on the edges of my ears.

Its odd that anyone would call these "bass light" or say the treble doesn't have enough sparkle, since they sound almost U shaped to me.

Feb 17, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #770 of 1,049
Not U-shaped, but definitely not bass light!

IMO, they could do with more "air" and treble extension.

Feb 17, 2015 at 3:52 AM Post #771 of 1,049
Not U-shaped, but definitely not bass light!

IMO, they could do with more "air" and treble extension.

I would say they are somewhat U shaped when compared with the HD600 which tend to be mid centric. However, while the treble seems a bit accentuated, but the bass is just about at the right level while a really U shaped headphone would have too much bass.

Feb 17, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #773 of 1,049
I don't agree with DT250 being U shaped. It has recessed treble so not sure how in can be a U. The bass while do not kick as hard as other headphone is definitely not light either especially the mid bass. But I agree it lacks sub bass extension. 

Feb 17, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #774 of 1,049

Interesting just ran across this thread.  I've been listening to a bunch of over ear phones in the last weeks.  Had my first listen to Beyerdynamic yesterday (not this exact model) and I also found them more balanced than other closed phones.

Not sure what ohm to get, it needs to work with laptop and Galaxy S4.  80 ohm didn't seem to have any problem, I think they come in 32, 80 and 250-300.  Will the 300 ohm have noticeable sound improvement?  Or should I not bother?

I haven't settled on an exact model and I haven't ruled out open either.

Feb 18, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #775 of 1,049
Beyerdynamic themselves state that the higher impedance coils are lighter and can therefore better follow the signal, transforming it into air motion, giving better treble resolution. I have never testet two models that only had different impedance so I cannot comment on that. It sounds plausible though.

Feb 18, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #776 of 1,049
  Beyerdynamic themselves state that the higher impedance coils are lighter and can therefore better follow the signal, transforming it into air motion, giving better treble resolution. I have never testet two models that only had different impedance so I cannot comment on that. It sounds plausible though.

I would get them but the only question is whether my laptop and phone can drive them. I don't listen super loud.  I found the 80s were loud at 40/100 setting on my laptop so I think the 250 will be ok there not sure about the phone.  Presumably you get a bit more sensitivity so it's not just 80/250.  I guess I just need to try them but finding a demo pair not so easy.

Feb 18, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #777 of 1,049

Interesting just ran across this thread.  I've been listening to a bunch of over ear phones in the last weeks.  Had my first listen to Beyerdynamic yesterday (not this exact model) and I also found them more balanced than other closed phones.

Not sure what ohm to get, it needs to work with laptop and Galaxy S4.  80 ohm didn't seem to have any problem, I think they come in 32, 80 and 250-300.  Will the 300 ohm have noticeable sound improvement?  Or should I not bother?

I haven't settled on an exact model and I haven't ruled out open either.

You are better off getting the 80Ohm version if you plan pairing this phone with portable devices.

Feb 19, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #778 of 1,049

I would get them but the only question is whether my laptop and phone can drive them. I don't listen super loud.  I found the 80s were loud at 40/100 setting on my laptop so I think the 250 will be ok there not sure about the phone.  Presumably you get a bit more sensitivity so it's not just 80/250.  I guess I just need to try them but finding a demo pair not so easy.

32/80/250 Ohm sounds like the DT770... I once had a 32Ohm version of them, they are said to be more neutral than the especially bass-heavy 80Ohm version. I think the 250Ohm version is more neutral, but don't quite me on that.

Generally mobile devices not specifically built to drive headphones have a better time when seeing lower impedance loads (i.e. 32Ohm, maybe 80Ohm) because their voltage swing is insufficient for 250Ohm+

I tried my DT250/250 on my iPhone (6 for that matter) and it was just loud enough on max volume. The 80Ohm version might be more suited to those devices.

Feb 20, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #779 of 1,049
I don't agree with DT250 being U shaped. It has recessed treble so not sure how in can be a U. The bass while do not kick as hard as other headphone is definitely not light either especially the mid bass. But I agree it lacks sub bass extension. 

Are you talking about the 80 or 250 ohm? My impressions of the 250 ohms are 100% the opposite of yours... I find them to have emphasized treble and very good bass extension. I am comparing them to open backed neutral headphones like the hd600 though, so if you only have something like the m50 as reference I could see why you could say they lacked bass and treble...

Feb 21, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #780 of 1,049
Are you talking about the 80 or 250 ohm? My impressions of the 250 ohms are 100% the opposite of yours... I find them to have emphasized treble and very good bass extension. I am comparing them to open backed neutral headphones like the hd600 though, so if you only have something like the m50 as reference I could see why you could say they lacked bass and treble...

I have the 80 Ohm. I never had m50 but compared to cans like T1, HE-400i, SR-325e then the DT250 has recessed treble.  DT250 has a mid bass hump then rolls off the sub bass. So I don't see where the extension is coming from. It's a unique characteristtic of Beyer cans but its bass extension do not even come close to T1. If you want to hear what a really good bass extension try any of the planar headphones.

I'd say DT250 has similar treble with T51P but with emphasized mid bass. I would put DT250 to neutral with a hint of warmness depending on what music is playing. It could be fairly neutral sounding if the music don't call much for bass response. But with music that has prominent bass, the treble immediately goes to the backseat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back