The Beyerdynamic DT250 Thread
Feb 6, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #751 of 1,049
I have a DT 294 and a Mad Dog 2014. I am a huge fan of the Mad Dog, the Beyers did not catch too much of my attention. I'm not an audiophile but maybe I can still give you some info: The DT250 are much lighter but a bit less confortable. They are not much brighter than the mad dog (IMHO the Mad Dog are quite linear, not dark 
confused.gif
). The Isoloation is about the same on both, average. The Mad Dogs have much less low end roll off (maybe my dt294/80 are really different to the DT250/250).
My only complaints about the mad dog is the weight and the need for a strong amp.

Feb 6, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #752 of 1,049
  I have a DT 294 and a Mad Dog 2014. I am a huge fan of the Mad Dog, the Beyers did not catch too much of my attention. I'm not an audiophile but maybe I can still give you some info: The DT250 are much lighter but a bit less confortable. They are not much brighter than the mad dog (IMHO the Mad Dog are quite linear, not dark 
confused.gif
). The Isoloation is about the same on both, average. The Mad Dogs have much less low end roll off (maybe my dt294/80 are really different to the DT250/250).
My only complaints about the mad dog is the weight and the need for a strong amp.

i think it's probably which source you use.
out of my sandisk sansa clip + i found them pretty dark sounding.
and the equalizer on the sansa is just worthless eq's the highs.
but i have to install rockbox i just got them a week ago.

out of my dell inspiron 15r se it sounds brighter.

I still have to buy a decent amp i wonder how the mad dog's will sound.

Feb 6, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #755 of 1,049
  Does anyone know how the dt 250 compare to the mr speakers mad dog headphone.
I bought the mad dog headphone last week.

but now i found this thread about the dt 250.
I probably first tried the dt 250 out before i bought the mad dog's.
Because apparently they are very good.

the mad dog's do some things probably better but i found them a little bit dark.
i prefer a analytical sound.

If you prefer an analytical hp that is not dark I would not recommend the dt-250.  It has to be one of the darkest hps out there...IMO and from memory.

Feb 7, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #756 of 1,049
The DT250 is one of the very few Beyers that do not have emphasized highs. For me this is a big plus. But I would say that the DT250 are the flat ones and all the others are unnaturally bright tuned. From the beyers I know, the DT1350 is a second one with sweet highs.
dweeper, you should try the beyers to judge by your own. They are great. The DT150 is also loved by many.
My own analytical headphone is the K701

Feb 7, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #758 of 1,049
  Can anyone tell me how well the Geek Out 1000 or other Geek Out models pair with the Beyerdynamic  DT 250-250?

It's a fantastic combo. The 450 has a very detailed, neutral sound. The GO1000 is a bit warmer. Both of them power the DT250-250 extremely well. (DT250-250 + GO450 makes a great budget combo.)

Feb 7, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #759 of 1,049
Hello AustinValentine, thanks for responding. Does the GO1000 make the DT 250-250 any more bassy than the GO450? Mine feel somewhat bass light so I was wondering if I wasn't giving them enough power and considering possibly the GO1000/GO450.

Feb 12, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #760 of 1,049
I just got a pair of DT250 250Ω, and in no universe would I describe them as bass light; they have a good amount of bass without being excessive. They have noticeably more extension than my HD600's (powering everything with an O2 amp).

Feb 12, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #761 of 1,049
Have you compared the DT250 / 250 with your other headphones, or with HD800 too?

Feb 12, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #762 of 1,049
  Have you compared the DT250 / 250 with your other headphones, or with HD800 too?

I like to give it a week or so before coming to any conclusions about headphones so I can get used to them. They definitely don't sound exactly like HD600's at all and have emphasis in different regions. I don't own HD800's but I have listened to them a fair amount and it is hard to compare them to the DT250's, as the DT250's have a definite "closed sound" and a small soundstage while the HD800's have a huge soundstage.

Feb 14, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #763 of 1,049
Well, it seems the pair I got have mismatched drivers... The left side has noticeably more low bass than the right.

Also, after listening more these sound NOTHING like HD600's. They have a different tonality in the treble, totally different peaks, and the timbre of cymbals and percussion is different. Bass is also different and more emphasized (especially sub bass) and the smaller soundstage compared to the HD600's makes instrument separation not as good. They do seem to have a bit more emphasized lower treble.

Also, they are really more like on ear headphones. I don't see how anyone would have ears small enough to not make significant contact with the foam covering the driver.

Feb 14, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #764 of 1,049
  Hello AustinValentine, thanks for responding. Does the GO1000 make the DT 250-250 any more bassy than the GO450? Mine feel somewhat bass light so I was wondering if I wasn't giving them enough power and considering possibly the GO1000/GO450.

The DT250-250's have a low bass roll off and a high treble roll off. Kinda rolled off equally on both sides. The roll off in the high treble contributes to the closed in sound and lack of air. The low bass roll off (starting at 40hz) makes them feel less extended and guts any sort of sub-bass presence. Not a lot of rumble, not a lot of slam. 

The GO1000 shouldn't provide much of a bass boost. The DT250's are never going to be bass monsters or even great bass headphones. They are more or less solid generalist headphones, and do most everything well without doing anything terribly poorly. That's their niche. 
  Well, it seems the pair I got have mismatched drivers... The left side has noticeably more low bass than the right.

Also, after listening more these sound NOTHING like HD600's. They have a different tonality in the treble, totally different peaks, and the timbre of cymbals and percussion is different. Bass is also different and more emphasized (especially sub bass) and the smaller soundstage compared to the HD600's makes instrument separation not as good. They do seem to have a bit more emphasized lower treble.

Also, they are really more like on ear headphones. I don't see how anyone would have ears small enough to not make significant contact with the foam covering the driver.

This sounds like you got "Chocolate-Box Beyered" - when you open certain models of Beyer headphones, it's like a blind reach into a Whitman's Sampler. Will you pull a caramel, a truffle, a cherry cordial, or some type of disgusting overly-sweet nougat? You don't know until you plug in the headphones, and there isn't any box-top guide to help. 

If you search on the web, you can find measurements just how much absurd product variance there is between certain models of Beyer headphones. Just look for Beyer Inconstancies, and you'll find tons. The DT250-250ohm and the DT1350 seem particularly prone to this type of variance. (Check my sig and see just how many tries on each it took for me to find decent pairs >.< 5 on the DT1350 and 4 on the DT250-250.) A good pair of DT250-250's sounds like a rolled-off, more closed in, less resolving, more grainy/gritty HD600. The tonality really matches up well. A bad pair, and there are a lot of them out there, can sound mismatched and confused (the most common problem - one you've encountered), shrill, or mid-bass heavy.

I've actually stopped recommending that anyone purchase these unless they get them from somewhere with a very good return policy. The sad part is that these and the DT1350's are proline headphones designed for audio professionals. That's pretty well unforgivable. 

Feb 14, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #765 of 1,049
Yeah I got them from Amazon so returning them should be no problem. I am not yet sure if I will replace them or just get a straight up refund and try something else... Basically, I want something that sounds similar to the HD600 but has isolation, so either IEMs or closed back headphones. However, I can't seem to find closed back headphones that aren't boomy or don't have other flaws so I am really kind of losing hope at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back