The Beyerdynamic DT250 Thread
Sep 19, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #721 of 1,049
  ^ as a headphone designed for professional use. DT-250 sounds ok regardless of the genre you throw at it. It just doesn't give you the wow factor compared to a phone designed to a specific/few genres. 

I have no less than 10 headphones designed for professional use in my review list and they all sound different ) And DT 250 - headphones that has the most distilled "pro sound signature" (whatever it is). 

Sep 19, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #722 of 1,049
  Couple of words about metal music + Beyerdynamic DT250. (Summary on impressions on metal for 47 headphones is here http://www.head-fi.org/t/715478/headphones-for-metal-music-ultimate-solution)

Beyerdynamic DT250
Professional cans with very special, extremely flat character. It was interesting to try such a device on metal.
When I listen to 250, I can not shake the feeling that I listen to E-MU 0404 (regardless of amp/DAC I used). Unforgettable dry taste.

Bass at 250 is quite good, not elevated, in general, sufficient for metal. Mids are nice and smooth. Tops with a slight touch of "darkness". Chamber soundstage. On high-speed genres tend to smooth out attacks - perhaps the most conspicuous of technical problems.

Positive:
Black: Wow, this is something there. Does not involves as Beyerdynamic 770 or V-Moda M-100, but detached, mechanistic, darkish interpretation makes the horror to move somewhere in the depths of the body. Impressive.
Death: Shivers the size of a mouse are crawling on my back...

Negative:
Alternative: It is acceptable in terms of tonal balance (admittable bass volume, mids and hight are okay). But comrades 250 are very detached. No emotional response. All the time I want to add volume, but does not help anyway.
Industrial: No core competence - 250 does not have distinct sub-bass. Bass thumps, but to no avail.
Power: Genre is supposed to be funny, entertaining. And here, as if the school teacher of music is back. With the same zeal and drive.
Heavy Metal: Stressed, radically anti-involving performance. Highs and mids are gray, no fun on bass.  
Grindcore: Soft attacks, as if the sounds are rounded. Not a problem for a slower subgenres, but here it is really disturbing.

Grand total. Cans for fans of a specific "professional", "flat" sound. Either you like them and then it's possible to throw on them any genre you can think about. Or do not like, so behold the results of my review.

What source and amp were you using?

Sep 19, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #723 of 1,049
Sep 19, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #724 of 1,049
ahh ok. The DT250-250 may sound even better than the soloist on a simple schiit vali though. It may give it a little more emotion and less of that analytical sound you describe

Sep 20, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #725 of 1,049
  ahh ok. The DT250-250 may sound even better than the soloist on a simple schiit vali though. It may give it a little more emotion and less of that analytical sound you describe

" It may give it a little more emotion and less of that analytical sound you describe" - I experience it on Lynx HA-61 (this amp has warmer and more "musical" sound compared to Soloist), but big picture remains the same.

Sep 20, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #726 of 1,049
  I like the DT250 very much, they are probably the best studio monitors out there due to how flat they are. Certainly, there are even clearer headphones out there but they cost way more and for most studio applications, you really don't want to use very expensive equipment that can damage easily...

My only issue is that they are not truly circumaural and like the Sony MDR-7506, they partly rest on the ears and not around them. This makes them uncomfortable to use (for me) for extended periods of time. Its a shame really, as they would probably be the only headphone I'd need otherwise...

I agree, very balanced headphone. As regards comfort, you can try DT150 : it's circumaural and, in my opinion, another hidden gem. 

Sep 29, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #727 of 1,049
Just got a DT250 in a trade a week or so ago. I'm selling them now in the classifieds, but I have to say, I was surprised at how clean and balanced these things sound. Nice detail, good treble extension, good bass, and pretty good clarity as well. They make for a great set of all rounder 'phones.

Oct 12, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #728 of 1,049
  Just got a DT250 in a trade a week or so ago. I'm selling them now in the classifieds, but I have to say, I was surprised at how clean and balanced these things sound. Nice detail, good treble extension, good bass, and pretty good clarity as well. They make for a great set of all rounder 'phones.

Hi cripple1!
Love them a lot. You're so experienced here. Can You please recommend Open headphones and EIMS with dt-250/250 like signature (especially bass response) and may be with little more crisp. 

Oct 12, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #729 of 1,049

Hi cripple1!
Love them a lot. You're so experienced here. Can You please recommend Open headphones and EIMS with dt-250/250 like signature (especially bass response) and may be with little more crisp. 

I'm not too experienced.. Not as much as some of the more senior members here anyways.. That being said, my recommendations for you for a full size open backed headphone with similar sound to the DT250, or ones that would be just a good upgrade in my opinion, would be the Beyerdynamic DT990, Sennheiser HD600/HD650 (the 650 is my personal favorite), or the HiFiMAN HE-400. 

I can't comment too much on IEMs, but my personal favorites are the Shure SE215, Shure SE215Ltd, and Westone W30. Those are universal fit. For CIEMs (custom IEMs) I would recommend the 1964 Ears Qi. Call them up and ask for the universal option, but they are also custom.

Oct 12, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #730 of 1,049
Thanx a lot! Should give a shot to 990 . 650 are low on punch energy, sold em after 6 months of trying. Have westone um pro 30.likem. but they fills like there is something more in high and low dept's. Try to find k10 or um mentors on aftermarket to givem a try :wink:

Oct 12, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #732 of 1,049
Thanx a lot! Should give a shot to 990 . 650 are low on punch energy, sold em after 6 months of trying. Have westone um pro 30.likem. but they fills like there is something more in high and low dept's. Try to find k10 or um mentors on aftermarket to givem a try
wink.gif

600 is leaner and snappier than the hd650 so you may like those instead

Oct 13, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #733 of 1,049
Thanks.
Can somebody share some experience of using third party earpads with DT 250/250? May be some of SHURE ?

Nov 3, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #735 of 1,049
I'm in a bit of a pinch. Are there any DT250 owners who have a spare locking screw for the cable connector? Or anyone who just doesn't need theirs?

Shoot me a message if you can help a brother out!

My previous pair of DT250s didn't have the locking screw for the connector but it didn't affect functionality - the cable was still very secure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back