The Beyerdynamic DT250 Thread
Nov 9, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #738 of 1,049
  So, I've heard that these are a potential closed-can equivalent to the HD600, at least the 250-ohm version? Is what I hear true?

They share a lot of similarities, with the HD600 sounding just a bit more full and with a wider soundstage (obviously).

Nov 9, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #740 of 1,049
Go for it. You'll thank yourself afterwards!

IMHO, something of a bargain (try and go for the 250 ohm version if you can- you can drive those from an OTL tube amp :)).

Nov 9, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #741 of 1,049
Go for it. You'll thank yourself afterwards!

IMHO, something of a bargain (try and go for the 250 ohm version if you can- you can drive those from an OTL tube amp
smily_headphones1.gif
).

I don't own a tube amp, yet... That's a future purchase. :) But yes, I'm getting the 250-ohm model.

Currently rocking the O2+ODAC (non-integrated), which I'm sure they'll drive with no issue.

Nov 12, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #742 of 1,049
Mine came today. You all were right: definitely a closed HD600. Couldn't be happier!

Now just gotta get a screw to hold the cord in place. Does anyone who has the screw know the dimensions on it? Is it flat head, Philips head, or (god forbid) some proprietary Beyer-head?

Nov 12, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #743 of 1,049
  Mine came today. You all were right: definitely a closed HD600. Couldn't be happier!

Now just gotta get a screw to hold the cord in place. Does anyone who has the screw know the dimensions on it? Is it flat head, Philips head, or (god forbid) some proprietary Beyer-head?

As another poster mentioned you might not want to use the screw to secure the cable to the phone. I've read that studios, using the various Beyer phones, remove the screw in case of someone pulling/stepping/rolling over the cable. Instead of damaging the plug/cable if the screw is in, it just pulls the plug/cable from the phones if the screw in not attached. I don't have any problems with the cable staying securely inserted to my DT150's without the screw. I do understand the desire to 'secure' the cable in 'uber' fashion though! It is flat head and pretty small so it may be hard to find at your local hardware store. Fullcompass sells this part though you'll pay a hefty shipping fee for this small item. Hope this is helpful on some level.

Nov 12, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #744 of 1,049

As another poster mentioned you might not want to use the screw to secure the cable to the phone. I've read that studios, using the various Beyer phones, remove the screw in case of someone pulling/stepping/rolling over the cable. Instead of damaging the plug/cable if the screw is in, it just pulls the plug/cable from the phones if the screw in not attached. I don't have any problems with the cable staying securely inserted to my DT150's without the screw. I do understand the desire to 'secure' the cable in 'uber' fashion though! It is flat head and pretty small so it may be hard to find at your local hardware store. Fullcompass sells this part though you'll pay a hefty shipping fee for this small item. Hope this is helpful on some level.

Duly noted, thank you! I'll go without it for now. Seems logical enough.

Nov 13, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #745 of 1,049
Oh, and before I forget... are there any sites that sell non-Beyer cables for these? I understand this is a proprietary design, but regardless, I'd be interested if a third party sells a shorter, straight cable, for those times when one is needed. :)

Nov 13, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #746 of 1,049
I don't think you will find any third party cables. The connector itself is only used by Beyer. Your best hope is to go DIY. I used my spare iem cable and replace the stock cable.

Nov 13, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #747 of 1,049
  Oh, and before I forget... are there any sites that sell non-Beyer cables for these? I understand this is a proprietary design, but regardless, I'd be interested if a third party sells a shorter, straight cable, for those times when one is needed. :)

Not to my knowledge. The website I pointed too previously has a couple of different cables as well as just the cable end for making your own. The pins are small on the connector and need to be soldered. Not a problem if you know how, though it will accept only a finite range of wire thickness. The pins are seated in a block of plastic which can melt if heat is applied too long to the pins/wire when soldering. A heat sink clip would be helpful with this construction. Here's an example.

images

Feb 5, 2015 at 2:42 AM Post #749 of 1,049

I first bought 1.5m K190.00 cable un-ended and soldered a 3.5mm jack but still found the cable too stiff and the 7 pin connector bulky because there are wires for mic in it as it was designed for 190/290 series.
i later peeled off the outer wrap of the cable and cut off the wire for mic and soldered it onto the original stock 7 pin connector, which is smaller; stock coiled cable onto the bigger 7 pin connector.
Now i enjoy every minute with those cans on the road.

Feb 6, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #750 of 1,049
Does anyone know how the dt 250 compare to the mr speakers mad dog headphone.
I bought the mad dog headphone last week.

but now i found this thread about the dt 250.
I probably first tried the dt 250 out before i bought the mad dog's.
Because apparently they are very good.

the mad dog's do some things probably better but i found them a little bit dark.
i prefer a analytical sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back