The Beyerdynamic DT250 Thread
Aug 24, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #887 of 1,049
As a fresh owner of DT250 I can't help but for wonder why is there PCB with active components inside the headphone shell? What purpose does it serve, anyone knows?
Please post a picture. Mine didn't have any components on it
9298468.jpg

Aug 24, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #888 of 1,049
Hi @eimis,
sincere apologies, went googling and this is what's turned up, I haven't yet opened it up to examine.
It seems that the extra components are there to accomodate 99dB limiter, DT250 are sold with that option

They fit my small head quite fine, comfort is also OK, although part of the ear doesn't fit the cup.
Finding a reliable source for the 7pin plug would be great, as the stock cable is somewhat heavy when extended, I'd make my own as usual. :D

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #890 of 1,049
Hmm, there was no screw for the DT250 in the box, is it included or is it optional?
As far as I know, it is included.

Sep 3, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #892 of 1,049
I'm fine if the only headphone they put in my tomb is the DT250-250
They present the music..no bs. Surprise me everytime I put them on

Sep 4, 2017 at 1:10 AM Post #893 of 1,049
I'm fine if the only headphone they put in my tomb is the DT250-250
They present the music..no bs. Surprise me everytime I put them on
Fully agree!
Definitely most balanced sound of any big name Beyerdynamic. In comparison DT-880 trebles are so hot I had to check my ears if those aren't bleeding.

Though there are some problems - there's a gap between ear cushions and shell, not sure why, but it's a perfect spot for dust to gather inside, and for wind to cause 'blowing' noise.
The 7-pin plug is quite hard to find if you want spare, and they aren't exactly cheap.

No reason to get 80 Ohm version for extra volume, 250 Ohm are already very sensitive and play well even unamped from low voltage sources.

Oct 25, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #894 of 1,049
My AKG K612 is sent in for repair under warranty and got a pair of DT250's to borrow in the meantime so I can experience the Beyerdynamic sound. First impressions are that the sound is a bit muddy and has too much bass. Would describe it as typical 'radio station sound'. The headphones are very comfortable and very light to wear and overall build quality (plastics) is a lot better than AKG. I'm not a fan of the coiled cable though; it's too heavy and simply just pulls on the headphone.

Oct 26, 2017 at 1:49 AM Post #895 of 1,049
My AKG K612 is sent in for repair under warranty and got a pair of DT250's to borrow in the meantime so I can experience the Beyerdynamic sound. First impressions are that the sound is a bit muddy and has too much bass. Would describe it as typical 'radio station sound'. The headphones are very comfortable and very light to wear and overall build quality (plastics) is a lot better than AKG. I'm not a fan of the coiled cable though; it's too heavy and simply just pulls on the headphone.
What version have you gotten - 80Ohm or 250Ohm?

Oct 26, 2017 at 1:56 AM Post #897 of 1,049
Interesting, I don't have that impression and also have K601 to compare.
To me they sound perfectly flat, even flatter than K601, the bass might seem strange coming from open to closed back cans, but it's just the right amplitude and goes very deep.

Anyway if you decide to get a pair permanently, there are couple of mods to try.
Also you can replace the cable by getting spare plug from Beyer, but beware, those are quite expensive. Got myself two and paid almost 30€ with shipping.

Oct 26, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #898 of 1,049
The coiled cable makes sense if you use this headphone on portables but it's annoying for PC use, I'd rather have straight cable for that. I tried it on my iPhone today and beforehand I didn't expect much of it cause of the "high" impedance, but it really wasn't bad. The volume also was sufficient for me. Man, I love how solid and light these feel when wearing them. The headphones look a bit flimsy in pictures but the plastics are really solid and feel like they last a long time. No rattles or unwanted flex at all. They've really designed these to be light and compact without any sacrifices, the earpieces are still big enough to clear the ears etc. I'm also starting to get used to the sound but I still prefer the AKG when it comes to the sound and it possibly also has to do with them being open-back vs these closed-back headphones. I'm really curious about Beyerdynamic DT990's now :) That might be the perfect companion for these DT250's

Oct 27, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #899 of 1,049
I didn't expect much of it cause of the "high" impedance
Impedance figure won't tell you anything in regards to volume from particular source. It's a common myth to consider all high impedance headphones lacking in volume on low voltage sources.
One needs sensitivity figure to complete the picture. In case with DT250, it's 100dB/mW so they need 0.5Vrms to reach 100dB meaning they are actually easy to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back