The Beyerdynamic DT250 Thread
Oct 7, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #301 of 1,049
The 250 ohm has no more issues with matching since it is more neutral. The bass even out of a cmoy on the 250 ohm version will outperform the 80 ohm even out of a kilobuck amp. There are other issues as well besides the bass like the more forward mids and the lack of high frequency extension/air on the 80 ohm so i ended up selling them and kept the 250 ohm. Still, on their own, if I didn't heard the 250 ohm, the only other closed headphone in the same pricerange that I might keep over the 80 ohm dt250 may be the German Maestro GMP 8.35.

Oct 9, 2012 at 4:32 AM Post #302 of 1,049
I've had my pair replaced by Beyer since I too eventually heard some driver matching issues. Turns out the drivers were fine (which is why I did't hear it at first) but the cable in the headband was faulty. They replaced the headband and everything is awesome again. 

So just a thought: perhaps the culprit to the infamous DT250-250 driver matching issue is actually the cable? 

Maybe a recable with some high quality durable cable might make sense in this case

Oct 9, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #303 of 1,049
The matching I was talking about above was actually about matching with amps and sources (synergy) but yes... I also had my dt250 replaced due to the slight driver imbalance.

Nov 9, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #304 of 1,049
To all you DT 250 250 Ohm appreciators: You are right! The descriptions in this thread, along with availability and great price, persuaded me to pick up a pair and put and end, for now, of 2-3 months of searching for really satisfying closed phones. These unassuming headphones are pretty damned amazing!  They give me all or more musical enjoyment that I get from Grado SR80s, and far more than any other closed phones I have experience with.

Pretty much everything positive that has been stated has proven true for me. They are comfortable, isolate as well as I need (I work with noisy instrumentation), and provide a raft of the kinds of things I look for in music reproduction. They sound as neutral as they measure, and have beautifully quick, lifelike bass, fine dynamics, great vocal qualities, and they give acoustic instruments nice body and texture. While I wouldn't say there's a huge soundstage there's still a nice sense of depth and separation of instruments. Natural reverberation and sound decay give a definite sense of space or depth. Maybe that's at least analogous to a soundstage?

The only thing I miss compared to my open cans, including Senn HD580, is that you know you're wearing a closed phone, but on the other hand this is part of the sense of intimacy.

Particular thanks to donunus for starting this thread and then repeatedly driving his point home. It sure got my attention!

Nov 10, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #305 of 1,049
Having owned the dt250 - 80 many moons ago I must say they were a very warm sounding, take anywhere, bulletproof hp.  Definately a gateway hp, not to mention a treamendous overall value.

Nov 10, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #306 of 1,049
I use the DT 250-250 with 2 different computer soundcards, and with a prototype USB DAC not specifically designed for driving high-impedance. With all of these sources I'm often near max volume setting. How much volume headroom, and more synergistic effect does the CMOY or O2 amp provide?

Just want to also mention that the 250 Ohm version seems rather neutral, and if warmish then just the right amount for classical and acoustic music. I'm really glad I didn't pop for the 80 Ohm ones, since there seems to be a consensus that they are definitely warm, and a bit rolled off on top. 

If the 250 Ohm phones are harder to drive, then at least they are relatively driveable with a soundcard, and a practical tradeoff compared to the 80 Ohm ones.

Nov 10, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #308 of 1,049
I use the DT 250-250 with 2 different computer soundcards, and with a prototype USB DAC not specifically designed for driving high-impedance. With all of these sources I'm often near max volume setting. How much volume headroom, and more synergistic effect does the CMOY or O2 amp provide?

The jdslabs cmoy is good but not very neutral and a little shouty with the dt250-250 when I tried them. They were amazing when used out of a Linux OS though. The JDSLabs O2 however gives very nice control and definition to the bass vs the CMOY and they sound more neutral overall. I really like the dt250-250/O2 pairing. Compared against my own laptops headphone jack, The O2 is worth every penny. Its still best to use a good lineout from a decent dac to the o2 though at least to get the cleanest possible source vs a stock soundcard. Still, a decent soundcard's lineout into an O2 should do nicely for starters. Also, make sure to follow O2s recommendation and use low gain as much as possible. Only switch on high gain for really quiet sounding music because new hot masterings on high gain may actually sound like the input is clipping a little.

Nov 15, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #309 of 1,049
Really liking my DT 250-250s - I've forgotten the SR80s and PK3s I spent the last few months using. Maybe, just maybe they're even burning in. I agree there's a lot of ear-brain acclimation in that subjective process.

So far just using the very moderate output of my 2 computers, and 1 outboard DAC. Just now was listening to Don Byron's Nu Blaxploitation, fabulous punchy, vibrate your head bass lines - kick drum with bass guitar. Wow! I couldn't want any better bass from a headphone. Most of Don Bryron's recordings have great bass.

These phones can play bass when it's called for, quick and deep.

Have rarely run out of drive for these 250 Ohm phones. Not a trace of regret at getting these.

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #310 of 1,049
If you check my profile to see all the cans I've had, look at whats there then think... Why did this guy end up keeping dt250-250s for a longer amount of time than anything there? Well, I just feel that they sound more musical than anything I have ever owned regardless of price. Musicality is subjective but I feel that they just give the perfect blend of having enough isolation, a good balanced sound, and a good price that they are really worth praising. Musicality is priceless though. The hd800s and the he6 can't sound this musical with basic electronics for example.

Nov 30, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #311 of 1,049
Context: I received the DT250-250 today and have been listening for the past two hours.

WHY IS THIS HEADPHONE NOT MORE POPULAR?!

Could this be it?  Could this be the "closed HD600" I've been searching for?

Current status: floored.

Dec 1, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #313 of 1,049
Quote:
They are great aren't they?

They're brilliant.  Immediately reminiscent of the HD600 (my personal favorite headphone) to my ears.  It's all so effortless -- nothing noticeably emphasized, nothing noticeably withdrawn, no anomalous colorations, and all conveyed within a round/cohesive/clean sense of space.  Details emerge organically and, although recording flaws are conveyed, they're not jarringly pushed into the foreground.  I've been running these directly out of my Audioquest Dragonfly with great results, (half volume, controlled and full-bodied) but I think I may just dust off my PPAv2 this weekend for kicks.

Quote:

I really don't understand why there's not enough love for them out there.

I think it's for a few reasons.  Most at-home listeners can accommodate open backs (given that my listening area is shared with my girlfriend, I cannot) and there are plenty of quality options to choose from in that arena.  Being of moderately high impedance, the DT250-250 is a tough sell for portable applications.  There's also a sense of worship around the "fashion accessory" slant of headphone marketing (i.e. prospective buyers place discernible weight on looks) and these are, quite frankly, a listening tool through and through.  The aesthetics are pedestrian. (durability seems great, however)  Heck, the left cup on mine features some extra "dots" from the manufacturing/molding process. (I'm not sure if this is the case with all of them or just mine)  On a consumer-oriented headphone I would find this to be irksome, but for this "working 'phone" it doesn't bother me in the least.  In fact, it almost acts as reassurance that every resource went into sound and functionality.

I paid $150 for them. (new)  They look like they cost $50.  For a closed-back headphone, they sound like a million bucks!

List of "Love at First Listen" Headphones:

1. Sennheiser HD600
2. Beyerdynamic DT250 (250 Ω)

Dec 1, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #315 of 1,049
Quote:

Where?!

Since nobody sells me an HD600 or DT880 I might just get these for neutral reference.
Been eyeing this DT250 for ages now...

From here.  However, I don't currently see them listed on their site nor their eBay listings, so you may want to touch base with them to see if there are any left.

...but I have to say, I would've gladly paid more. 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back